Staying an Extra Day in Hotel to Save on Airfare

evolutiondob

Ok, I could use a little advice on this.

I am able to get a lower roundtrip airfare to Miami if I return home on Monday, November 26 instead of November 25. But, after including the price of a hotel for one night, I am only saving around $100 by staying the extra day. I am sailing on the Freedom of the Seas for seven days and I thought that even though the savings will not be substantial, it may be nice to have an extra day after the cruise to check out Florida. I've never been on a cruise over 5 days and I will be traveling with my 17 year old son and 12 year old daughter.

So, my question is, after 7 days on a cruise is it likely that most people (especially kids) would really just want to go home? Is there any real benefit to staying an extra day outside of the $100 savings? Is there anything fun to do in Miami for just a day that would make staying over worthwhile?

I am able to get a lower roundtrip airfare to Miami if I return home on Monday, November 26 instead of November 25. But, after including the price of a hotel for one night, I am only saving around $100 by staying the extra day. I am sailing on the Freedom of the Seas for seven days and I thought that even though the savings will not be substantial, it may be nice to have an extra day after the cruise to check out Florida. I've never been on a cruise over 5 days and I will be traveling with my 17 year old son and 12 year old daughter.

So, my question is, after 7 days on a cruise is it likely that most people (especially kids) would really just want to go home? Is there any real benefit to staying an extra day outside of the $100 savings? Is there anything fun to do in Miami for just a day that would make staying over worthwhile?

TONS of things to do in Miami!

The Beach (Bill Biggs Key Biscayne, South Pointe Park South Beach)

Shopping (Aventura Mall, Shoppes of Bal Harbour)

Hotel Pool

Miami Metro Zoo

Parrot Jungle

Vizcaya

Venetian Pool

Coconut Grove

Coral Gables

Day trips to the Keys

I've spents weeks at a time in Miami and still haven't seen anything. Make an extra mini vacation out of it and have fun. Your kids will not be in any hurry to get home.

We actually did this in March. The flights were so much less on Monday and we would have had to spend all day and more $$ just so sit in the airport on Sunday and wait for a flight. I scored a great deal on Hotwire for the one night and even with the hotel it made sense (cents??). Can't help you much with Miami as our trip began and ended in Ft. Lauderdale.

About the only downside I can think of is the hotels are generally not ready for you on a Sunday morning and you will need to check your luggage with them. And remember to keep some clean clothes for the last day!

mollyanne:)

There is a big advantage - the airport won't be so overrun with thousands of people getting there from cruise ships!

For the reason many people fly in a day early (so they aren't so stressed gettig on the ship) many people also add a day to their stay after a cruise.

I say go for it! If you rent a car, you can explore Miami a little bit more.

Sounds like you would be traveling at the end of Thanksgiving weekend. For that reason alone, I think I would fly home on Monday. My kids are about the same age as yours (and we live in Maryland) and I have one who is more of a homebody and might want to go home, while the other would want to see/do things. I think they might be ready to get off the ship, but not necessarily ready to go home. In looking at cost, don't forget the cost of a rental car and meals. Unless the kids are anxious to get back to school and friends, stay the extra day and let them decide what activity to do so they can't complain.;)

Sounds like you would be traveling at the end of Thanksgiving weekend. For that reason alone, I think I would fly home on Monday. My kids are about the same age as yours (and we live in Maryland) and I have one who is more of a homebody and might want to go home, while the other would want to see/do things. I think they might be ready to get off the ship, but not necessarily ready to go home. In looking at cost, don't forget the cost of a rental car and meals. Unless the kids are anxious to get back to school and friends, stay the extra day and let them decide what activity to do so they can't complain.;)

Yeah, I do understand that the Thanksgiving weekend is pretty crazy as far as travelling is concerned. I think I'm going to opt to return on the Monday afteward that was I can leisurely make my way off the ship and enjoy the rest of the day in Florida.

Do you know how far the University of Miami is from the cruiseport? I know my son is interested in going there and I figured if I stay an additional day we may be able to visit the campus.

I think it is about 3 miles but I'd go early in the day between morning and lunch rush hours.

Archived