Ok, I'm curious....

cruzegirl

I will not take another cruise to Alaska or Mexico out of San Francisco until Princess puts a decent ship other than the Dawn or Sun on the schedule.
Both Sun and Dawn Princess are decent ships. I will continue to take cruises out of San Francisco on these "smaller" ships. Bigger isn't always better especially in small ports like Alaska. Neither Celebrity nor HAL have large ships in Alaska, so you'll have the same issues with them.

Ships are a reason to take a cruise.

The HAL a sister line of princess and a few steps up too. Now has its newest there ms Noordam IV .

Since HAL owned and started that area to cruise in the AK market is a wonderful diverse area with the YT , NWT and BC Provinces in Canada and Alaska in the USA. There are no places on Earth like it there to compare.

HAL did own so many properties in Hotlels..RailCars.. etc..etc and Carnival CCL/CUK:NYSE/LSE bought them and now it prospers. HAL and Princess are the leaders there in that arena.

Booking early on the newer larger ships is advised as well the land tours too . :cool:

I will not take another cruise to Alaska or Mexico out of San Francisco until Princess puts a decent ship other than the Dawn or Sun on the schedule. I have gone to Mexico 3 times on Princes (twice on the Dawn), plus once with Celebrity and to Alaska once on the Pacific Princess. Love to cruise, would go just for the ship if they put a bigger - newer ship. Otherwise, I will be looking to Celebrity or Holland American in the future.

We just wish they'd keep one small ship in the Carib during the summers. Just their smallest one... When you live in cold weather almost year-round, you really don't want to go to Alaska on summer vacation--even if it is their warmest time of year.

We just wish they'd keep one small ship in the Carib during the summers. Just their smallest one... When you live in cold weather almost year-round, you really don't want to go to Alaska on summer vacation--even if it is their warmest time of year.

I must agree with you. I love the beach and the gorgeous Caribbean water. I have not been to Alaska, would love to see it someday, but have had my share of trudging through cold damp castles, thank you.

Karen

I'm with you guys....... As much as I know Alaska is beautiful and would like to see it someday, it's not my preference.... I live in Southern California & even though I'm not dealing with all those cold temps like others are, my idea of vacation is the Caribbean or Hawaii or Tahiti... All the warm, tropical places with blue water.... I've been apprehensive to entertain the Mediteranian (sp) for the same reason.... I hear alot of it's cold.... So they should keep some ships in the Caribbean........ :D

'I've been apprehensive to entertain the Mediteranian (sp) for the same reason.... I hear alot of it's cold.... '

You can be pretty certain of warm / hot / very hot weather in Mediterannean countries between June and mid-September. We returned from Barcelona, Spain on Monday where the temperature averaged 27C over five days and was sunny. There was a short thunderstorm on Sunday evening at about 10.00pm which lasted for five minutes. By the way, on Thursday a HAL ship was docked (didn't get name as shot past dock in taxi) and on Saturday RCI Voyager of the Seas. There were a significant number of Americans visiting Barcelona - we met many as we visited the various places of interests / restaurants / bars. They all seemed to be having a great time!

The real problem with no summers in Tahiti is that it is the best time to cruise there. The Tihitian is always full except for inside cabins. You can get them very cheap.

They say the niche will be filled with other ships passing through.

I still don't understand why people love Alaska so much...boring in my book and we did all the flying optional tours...yes it is beautiful..but I prefer to snorkel and dive...For a cold weather cruise I much prefer New England to Alaska.....I think you have to be a true blue cruiser to love Alaska maybe it is because you can sit and just watch the scenery go by. I still don't get it.JMHO

I still don't understand why people love Alaska so much...boring in my book and we did all the flying optional tours...yes it is beautiful..but I prefer to snorkel and dive...For a cold weather cruise I much prefer New England to Alaska.....I think you have to be a true blue cruiser to love Alaska maybe it is because you can sit and just watch the scenery go by. I still don't get it.JMHO

I agree. I try hard to keep out of the cold after spending my childhood and some school time in it. However, my wife thinks Alaska would be great and wants to go there for her 50th in 09. Maybe she will have a change of mind.:rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand the OPs original question. Princess put ships where they can fill the most cabins for the highest prices. Simple as that. And Alaska sells so they put the ships there. I may not be where YOU want the ships but Princess is a business, plain and simple.

Haven't been to Alaska either, but I would like to see it. Wouldn't cruise New England if you paid me. I laughed when I got an e-mail from Princess pushing their New England/Canada itineraries. Of course, I live in Boston and have been to all the places those ships stop many, many times. ;)

I must agree with you. I love the beach and the gorgeous Caribbean water. I have not been to Alaska, would love to see it someday, but have had my share of trudging through cold damp castles, thank you.

Karen

Hey Karen..we miss you over at the roll call board.

Patty

Princess has huge money invested in hotels and land vacations in Alaska and the best way to feed those businesses is to tie them to the cruise side of the business.

The Caribbean market is softening. Too many ships...too few good itineraries. We have done two Caribbean cruises and have one more...maybe...that we might take.

Europe...the British Isles...and the Med are growing in strength.

The South Pacific and Asian markets are just so far for North Americans and Europeans to travel to that people REALLY have to want to see these parts of the world to spend the kind of money and time to get there before they even get on the ship.

Alaska also has that rugged wildreness reputation going for it...and there is no doubt...it is incredibly beautiful! Watching a calving glacier is an amazing thing.

BUT...there is a cruise ship equivalent of traffic jams some days in Vancouver and Seattle. A two hour wait for a cab to the airport in Vancouver on some days when three ships arrive within an hour of one another is getting all too common. Things like this will turn people off...so if the cruise lines can't find other ports to leave from...people will stop coming.

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines and the ports handle the growth problem.

In the mean time we're looking at the Med!

Tom&Deb:)

Chhhhhaaaa-ccccchinggggg=why.

It's all about the revenue.

Its the age old argument about markets. Skeptics think sellers invent markets while others see it the other way, buyers create them! I believe the reason Princess and others are rushing to Alaska is their customers are demanding they do so. If the lines ignored the demand they would be pillioried for ignoring the needs of the customer. Think of it as the cruise industry simply meeting the wants of the clientele. Sure, they make money in doing this, but isn't that what the free market is all about? If the public stopped demanding the supply of cabins in an area the lines would pull out (as they are doing in the Caribbean).

The industry is chasing the public on this one, but in its thirst for space, the public is bidding up the price at the same time. I for one believe the cruise industry has yet to find the price resistance point for rooms and land packages, and so increases are coming like a tsunami.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the TP, Papeete to Hawaii. At the past guest reception it was explained in two terms as to why the TP is not crusing FP full time.

1. As we noticed the ship is very understaffed. They said this was because the French government is being difficult in giving work visas to workers from anywhere except the EU. That is why most workers are from Eastern Europe.

Phillipinos are having an expecially hard time getting the visas and they provide a bluk of workers for Princess.

2. Their contract has run out and the FP government is asking to much to use their ports. Those negotiations on on gowing.

3. The TP will resume its regular routes when those things are worked out.

So it seems to be a business decision based on conflict between Princess and local and national authorities. Why is Princess so vocal about this? I think they are trying to put public pressure on. Its no different that we see with others in our own press, negotioations through the media. Not sure this is answer but seem logical.

Can anyone, Princess included, tell me why they are insisting on having 5 Princess ships in Alaska during the summer?????

Simple. Choose your answer from those below.

1. Because they reckon they can fill them with passengers and make some $$$$$$

2. Because they don't think they could fill 6 ships ( !!!!! )

3. Because it's too cold to have 5 ships in Alaska in winter

4. Because there are less hurricanes in Alaska than the Caribbean

5. Because the person who wrote "Alaska 2007 ... 3 ships" has rotten handwriting and his 3's look like 5's

6. Because if Princess had 5 ships in the Sahara Desert they would look stupid......

7. Ships gotta be somewhere, you can't just put them in a cupboard....

Oh... and they've got more than 5 ships, if you count all the other Carnival group ships... HA etc.....

Archived