London to Harwich/Prices/Change at Manningtree?

I just got an email from The Trainline, which would let me book tickets for the train from London's Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International in advance. The price they're charging for a one-way (single) ticket for two adults and one child (age 10) is UKL 57.50. Does anyone know if this is the usual fare or not? Would we pay more if we bought tickets on the day? (We're not interested in return fares, because we have other transportation arranged after we return from the cruise.)

Also, all the trains they're showing have a change of trains at Manningtree. I read somewhere that there's a way to avoid this, but I for one can't figure out how. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

(Our trip is in August, by the way.)

Thanks.

I just got an email from The Trainline, which would let me book tickets for the train from London's Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International in advance. The price they're charging for a one-way (single) ticket for two adults and one child (age 10) is UKL 57.50. Does anyone know if this is the usual fare or not? Would we pay more if we bought tickets on the day? (We're not interested in return fares, because we have other transportation arranged after we return from the cruise.)

Also, all the trains they're showing have a change of trains at Manningtree. I read somewhere that there's a way to avoid this, but I for one can't figure out how. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

(Our trip is in August, by the way.)

Thanks.

What date in August are you going to use the train? Some days of the week (Weekends) require a change of trains. Try this website for better information. http://www.onerailway.com/

You do not need to change trains or book in advance. The cruise train leaves at 1205 on the days Jewel sails and advance reservations or tickets are not needed. Just show up at Liverpool street station and buy from the machine or ticket office. It is a non-stop ride directly to the dock -- one a few yards to walk. There is plenty of room on the train for you and your luggage.

the fare is about $30 per person.

Onerailway does not do a very good job of advertizing the cruise train, but an email last year to customer service confirmed that the cruise ("boat train") did indeed exist.

You will love the cruise and the Jewel. It was a most memorable vacation.

You do not need to change trains or book in advance. The cruise train leaves at 1205 on the days Jewel sails and advance reservations or tickets are not needed. Just show up at Liverpool street station and buy from the machine or ticket office. It is a non-stop ride directly to the dock -- one a few yards to walk. There is plenty of room on the train for you and your luggage.

the fare is about $30 per person.

Onerailway does not do a very good job of advertizing the cruise train, but an email last year to customer service confirmed that the cruise ("boat train") did indeed exist.

You will love the cruise and the Jewel. It was a most memorable vacation.

This sounds even better. I wasn't sure how much in advance we should plan to get to Harwich, but 12:05 should get us there by 1:30 or so, which would give us plenty of time. Thanks!

Looks like no train on August 5th due to engineering works

http://www.onerailway.com/templates/Generic.aspx?id=3598

You will be taken by coach instead.

Whoops! That's a major change. I wonder how many coaches will be required? And also whether or not I should look into other options. Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for posting this. It's something I'll look into right away.

Archived