Laptop Question

jjpugs

Hi cruisers...

i am traveling on the Constellation in a few weeks. I wanted to bring my laptop since it is a long cruise. Does anyone know about the charges? can you have access from your laptop in your cabin? etc?

any help would be appreciated

stacy

You can purchase a package of minutes for a set price--it's about 75 cents a minute. If your laptop has wifi, you can use it in your cabin. But, the Wifi is spotty at best and I've not had a cabin yet that had wifi access. It seems you need to be near either the computer room or the computer classroom on deck 6 in order for the wifi to work.

Celebrity changed their system last Feb or March. Prior to that they had Wi-fi in the central area of the ship. You could, for instance, go sit in a lounge chair by the mid ship elevator no matter which floor you were on and get decent wi-fi connection, or go to a common area like the lobby or library. Cost was as noted above.

I think the new system might have wider coverage, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It was less expensive, Maybe $0.65 or so. We were on just after they put in the new system, but I didn't use my laptop for access this past trip.

Note that the internet speeds were never that great - about the same from a laptop or the internet cafe on board. The speeds on the last trip, under the new system, were faster in the internet cafe then we'd experienced on prior trips - but still slower than any broadband service you'd run into at home or your office.

We were on Summit 5-24 and the internet service was generally good depending where you were on the ship.

We received fairly good wireless in our cabin (9110), and in the library and other public areas, if you buy a block of time it gets cheaper, we bought $100.00 and paid .38 cents a per minute.

Archived