New SCUBA Video

SeaTeacher

Cool video. I've often thought about getting a video rig but I'm having too much fun with my still photos and I really don't need another expensive hobby. I appreciate you sharing your video with us. Please post more as they become available.

Denny

Wow.. thanks for sharing.... That was cool.....I too am having so much with my still camera..... But I have a feeling I'm going to find myself "justifying" the need for a digital camcorder and housing....lol:D

When I began watching your video, I realized I may have seen other videos you have taken when I have surfed Youtube. Did you do a series of videos for a 50th birthday taken on a cruise? (I think it was 50). If so, your videos are fantastic. I watched the birthday videos twice, and brought my husband in to watch them on the second time. We both felt your narration was amazing - great voice - great detail - we felt like we were there celebrating with you two. My husband even commented that you should have your own travel TV show. Well done. I was going to leave a comment on Youtube, but I'm leaving it here instead.

Linda

When I began watching your video, I realized I may have seen other videos you have taken when I have surfed Youtube. Did you do a series of videos for a 50th birthday taken on a cruise? (I think it was 50). If so, your videos are fantastic. I watched the birthday videos twice, and brought my husband in to watch them on the second time. We both felt your narration was amazing - great voice - great detail - we felt like we were there celebrating with you two. My husband even commented that you should have your own travel TV show. Well done. I was going to leave a comment on Youtube, but I'm leaving it here instead.

Linda

Yes - the 50th birthday cruise was for my partner about 15 months ago. I feel honored by your kind words, but I have no idea how I would change careers to a TV show. I'm a school teacher. I think I'll stick with that for now. But I have to admit, on my last cruise I played trivia, randomly pulled together with some other cruisers and sombody recognized me. He had seen my videos online. Wow - kinda makes me a teeny tiny celebrity!:rolleyes:

As for the video rig, I bought an Ikelite camcorder housing. It's a mid-price unit. Underwater housings range from a thick plastic bag for snorkeling for about $35 to a fully functional 300fsw alumium housing with electronic controls and a waterproof extrior LCD monitor for about $1500. Those are just the consumer units. Obviously, professional units are far more expensive.

The Ikelite I bought was $500. http://ikelite.com/web_pages/sony_hc30.html

I had just received my biggest tax refund when I bought the housing. Given my hobby of producing detailed home travel videos, the next fun element I could add seemed to be live underwater footage since I'm a diver too. Sadly, I won't be doing any Caribbean dives for 10 months. I have a while to wait before I can enjoy using my cam housing in the crystal clear water of the Caribbean.

BTW - you don't have to use lights when using a camcorder underwater. There is much less problem with back scatter (as with still cameras). Of course lights help somewhat, but not as much as with still cameras. If anything, the problem with lights underwater when used with a camcorder is they tend to create hot spots. So one can easily get started in underwater video with just a housing.

Ciao

My last dive I remembered at the end of the dive that I actually can do video with my still digital cam. Well, without spending any extra money, I am able to take video as well. It may not be the best of quality but it surely does a great job without spending any money.

Joe

Archived