Not very many snorkeling options?

eastexascruiser

I have read through the threads and there doesn't appear to be many options for excursions in Belize. Cave tubing & Coral Breeze Snorkeling is about all I've read about.

We are a family of 4 and enjoy snorkeling. Are there any other excursions to locations other than shark alley? We want to see some good reef systems. We will be on the Elation in early November. Thanks!

Check out this website: [url]http://www.belize.com/caulker.html[/url]

Also, check out [url]http://www.shoretrips.com[/url]. They offer several snorkeling excursions.

If you take the water taxi offered through Coral Breeze you could then go snorkeling on Caye Caulker. I've never been there, but it seems like an option for snorkeling.

Pam

We did SHARK RAY ALLEY WITH LUNCH-THRU ROYAL CARIBBEAN EXCURIONS!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We did the excusion on August 5, 2004. I really enjoyed the day. It was 7.5 hours long.

We boarded a boat directly from the ship. It was very crowded and try not to get in the boat at the front, as you are underneath the top of the boat..and it gets hot! Our tour guides were wonderful. I spoke with the girl the ride to the snorkel area and most of the way back from San Pedro( 1 hr at least). I learned alot about Belize and just common things...Like Subway Sandwich Shops are only for the very rich....10.00 dollars (US) for a 6 in sub. Lobster is very cheap( go figure). Cell phones are just becoming popular and are very expensive. She wanted me to send her some from the US so she could sell some and make a profit..HA HA!!

On the way, the guide gave a basic snorkel lession to people and handed out the equipment which was in great shape! Fresh bottled water was available all day on the boat at no cost!

We went SHARK RAY ALLEY. Our guides threw out "fish bait" and the fish came quickly. Sting Rays, all kinds of fish...and yes, Sharks!!!!! After about half the people got in the water and still survived, I got it! It was amazing..tons and tons of fish..up close and personal!!! After swimming with the marine life for a few minutes...the 3 guides got in the water and we were told we were going on a "group" snorkel to the reef. The reef was quite some distance. It was quite a swim to the reef! The minumum age for this excursion is 12. I understand why, now. My 9.5 yr old son( very tall) did this and nobody questioned his age. I was confident he could handle it, if my 12 yr daughter (WHIMP) could! Of course, I was right! The kids did great on the swim to the reef...my self and my husband...well we were POOPED!!! We swam so far, we could hardley see our boat in the distance.

The coral is very shallow and you must keep your legs up and face down to be a respectful snorkeler. To protect the coral and yourself. This was my son's and daughters 2nd snorkel trip( there first was 2 days earlier). They obviously were NOT experienced snorkelers and did fine...actually, did GREAT!

The swim back to the boat was easier, since you were going with the waves back the boat!

We then took a 10 minute ride to San Pedro Island. This is where Temptation Island was filmed. It was a reality TV show shown on FOX. We were told we havd 2.5 hours to explore the island and eat lunch. There also was a fresh-water pool we could use at the resort next the eatery where we were fed.

Lunch was okay, some kind of chicken, plain tortillas, potato salad( good), and rice and beans. Punch to drink. There was a "cash" bar also. We ate lunch and rinsed off in the fresh water pool! ALOT of Chlorine in the pool..KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED!!!!

We walked to town ( about 15 minutes). We walked down the beach to the road that took you to town. Looked safer than walking the streets of this town. We had no problems walking the beach. The town was hot and had many tourist shops.

WARNING: TRY AND PAY with close to exact US dollars, because they will only give you BELIZIAN money in change. We got some ice cream, and I gave them a 10.00 bill and recived my change in Belizian money. So, I just went in the local shop and bought some more things to take home with my Belizian money. The kids kept some of the change for souveniors!

The beach that we saw at the Island was full of sea weed and we didn't not get in past our ankles because of that. We had alot of seaweed in Cozumel also, so, I don't know if that is because the storms were heading that way...or what.

Our guides said the island we were at, was very expensive to stay in the resorts. They also said" We are sorry to say this..but Belize City, is not a very safe place".

After 2.5 hours on the island we left for the ship...on our trip back..we came upon 2 dolphins playing. Our captain stopped the boat, and the dolphins played around our boat for 15 minutes. It was AWESOME! Our captain says this happends often, and sometimes if they happen to run into a POD of dolphins, they even get in the water and try and play with them. I don't know if they let their passengers in the water or just the guides... but wow, just getting that close was an AWESOME experience!

on our way back, the caption also stopped a lobster fisherman to show us all the lobsters that he catches. The guide said most of RED LOBSTER's lobsters come from this region!!!

It was a great day and I would definately do it again!

Our tablemates went into the city instead of doing an excursion, said they was nothing much there and were back on the boat by 1200pm!

You'll find that the reason you don't have many options is because there are few who can put together decent tours, and make the passengers happy. Coral Breeze is highly recommended since they really take care of the groups, with lunch included if you like.

We cruised in November (weather was great!) and booked a group of 12 with Coral Breeze. All were very happy in our group, which was a relief since, as you know, if you're the guy who books it, not only do you look bad but so does the tour company. <smiling>

Anyway, you should feel very comfortable about booking with Coral Breeze. They are a top notch company, and very friendly. You can book your tour with them online.

[url="http://www.coralbreezelimited.com/"]http://www.coralbreezelimited.com[/url]

Have fun.

ZCruiseMan
Family of 4 in a group of 12
Carnival Paradise
November 2003

Archived