How exhausting is snorkeling at the reefs?

RousterBlues

Not really worried for me. But, me, DW, DD, and DS are going on a 3 reef snorkel in Cozumel Next week.

Just wondering how tough it is and will my wife and kids be able to take it. I've heard the currents can be pretty tough at times. DW really wants to go, but I'm not sure she can take it physically.

We did a 4 snorkel stop a few weeks ago and its not bad. Its drift snorkeling, so you go with the current and the boat follows you to pick you up. Plus we were made to wear snorkel vests, so hopefully you will too, which gives added confidence.

You should find out ahead of time if vests will be available, and make sure to use them. I am an extremely strong swimmer with very good endurance, and I wear one. If you get tired, it's easy to inflate it a little more and do more floating.

Some tour operators put a snorkeler into the water with your group; if this is the case make sure he/she knows that your wife is not a strong/confident swimmer and ask him/her to keep an extra eye on her.

Before you get in the water, make sure the kids understand that you need to stick together. Divide up into buddy pairs and make sure they know that they need to keep an eye on their buddy and make sure their buddy can see and communicate with them.

If the first stop is too much, they can try again at another site if the conditions are a little calmer or at the very least, enjoy a nice sunny day out on the water.

If anyone gets tired, they can signal to their buddy, roll over on their back and just float for a bit. Make sure everyone knows that. If the boat is nearby or following and they are tired, they can wave for a pickup. If you want to go the extra mile, get each person a plastic whistle on a cord so they or there buddy can use it to signal the boat if they are worn out.

With a buddy to keep an eye on you, a vest to allow you to rest and a clear understanding of what to do if you feel you're getting exhausted or your buddy seems to be having trouble, you should all be in business.

The bouancy of salt water, the vest, and the relatively ease of swimming with fins make it easier to snorkel than something like swimming laps, and if some of the diving is drift diving it will be easier still, so hopefully it will be manageable and a great time for all!

Yes, as someone else posted, maybe they'll put someone in the water with them. On our trip, the dive master got in the water with us, and he had with him one of those red lifeguard floaty things like they used in Baywatch. :D Plus they also sent a photographer along, so she was also keeping an eye on us. I think they'll be fine and they'll have a great time. Lots to see.

Archived