Hotel in ANC or Whittier

Mccarri

Hi Guys

We are probably going to arrive in ANC one or two days before our cruise. Should we stay in ANC or Whittier and can anyone recommend a decent place that is reasonably priced.

Cheers and thanks

I+ F

Unless you have a car, you should probably stay downtown where most of the activities for tourists are located. Hotels are not cheap in the summer but you might try the Clarion Suites, the Extended Stay Hotel, the Comfort Inn Suites, or the Copper Whale Inn bed and breakfast.

Other than a day cruise into Prince William Sound, there's really no reason to stay in Whittier. The recently built Inn At Whittier is having financial problems and there are only a few bed and breakfast places in the Begich Towers.

For hotel listings, go to http://www.anchorage.net For hotel ratings/reviews, try http://www.tripadvisor.com

We are probably going to arrive in ANC one or two days before our cruise. Should we stay in ANC or Whittier and can anyone recommend a decent place that is reasonably priced.
Rental cars are pricey with Avis being the only guys in town for a one-way from Anchorage to Whittier. They charge $100 drop off fee.

Now if you plan to get out then I think it is worth it. We are staying in Seward for a couple of days - there is enough there to keep you busy.

Comfort Inn and Clarion will be tough it get this late - but try. They provide shuttle from the airport and to the train station - if you decide to take this route.

I would stay in Anchorage and see some sights there, maybe drive to Hatcher Pass. If you have a couple of nights, you might consider driving to Seward and spending a night there then dropping the car in Whittier. Or on your way from Anchorage to Whittier with a car, stop at Portage Glacier Visitor Center or, Girdwood.

Actually, even with the drop fee, you might find Avis to be very reasonably priced - remember any transfer from Anchorage to Whittier is going to cost you $40-$60/person. If there are 2-3 of you, and you would be paying for a transfer anyway, you end up saving money by renting the car.

good luck getting accommodations if you're planning peak summer 2007 travel! Openings are spotty now in mid-July but I was able to secure accommodations myself this week through tripadvisor.com for 7/24. We'll stay 7/14 at SpringHills Suites then 7/21 at Comfort Inn Ship Creek (so the boys can fish in Ship Creek - the motel supplies rods), then 7/24 at Courtyard Apt. Marriott. A couple years ago we stayed at Aleyska in Girdwood which was a nice change of pace from downtown Anchorage. We had the good part of a 1-1/2 days to kill before our flight so we rented a car from ANC apt. then drove to Portage Glacier and on down to Whittier (hardly nothing there but a harbor) then drove back to Girdwood where we overnighted at Aleyska in a condo. Very nice.

Actually, even with the drop fee, you might find Avis to be very reasonably priced - remember any transfer from Anchorage to Whittier is going to cost you $40-$60/person. If there are 2-3 of you, and you would be paying for a transfer anyway, you end up saving money by renting the car.
TOTALLY AGREE. It started out that we were going to take the train - but 4 of us that was pretty pricey. I checked rental cars and it was actually just about the same prices and we could drive at our leisure. It evolved from there. Since the plan was to arrive a day early - get the car and then head to Whittier - but we are traveling 4th of July week and since a day early would put us there on Tuesday what's one more day of vacation from work. So we decided just to fly up on Saturday. We are spending 2 nights in Anchorage - picking up the car late Sunday - driving to Seward on Monday - spend 2 nights there and then off to Whittier were we will drop off the car. 3 day rental with the military discount code will cost me about $360 ($264 plus .30 a mile). The train would have been $232 and we would have been on their schedule. So for a little more we get to decide what time we get there - plus we have the added freedom of seeing more of Alaska.

Dear All

Thanks for your suggestions!

We've booked our flights now and arrive into ANC airport at 1135P on the night before our cruise leaves Whittier.

We will probably stay in a hotel at the airport for that night and travel straight to Whitter the next day. Can anyone recommend an airport hotel that is decent and reasonably priced in ANC?

Also, Coral Princess check-in closes at 800P. What is the latest we should leave ANC at then?

Cheers

I + F

Dear All

We've booked our flights now and arrive into ANC airport at 1135P on the night before our cruise leaves Whittier.

We will probably stay in a hotel at the airport for that night and travel straight to Whitter the next day. Can anyone recommend an airport hotel that is decent and reasonably priced in ANC?

Also, Coral Princess check-in closes at 800P. What is the latest we should leave ANC at then?

CheersI + F

Hotels out by the airport are the Marriott Courtyard, the Millenium, the Best Western Barratt, Puffin Inn and Holiday Express.

Now not sure what is reasonably priced for you, but you're probably looking at $160 and up, assuming you can find a room. Anchorage books up quickly.

It's about an hour and a half to the Whittier Tunnel. See the only way to get into Whittier is to go through this tunnel and you can't go through all the time, only set times http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

Susan in Anchorage :)

Dear All

Cheers

I + F

There is another thread on hotels near the Anchorage airport on the first or second page. Check it out.

Hi Guys

Think we got a BARGAIN!

Booked the Extended Stay Deluxe Anchorage - Downtown on HOTWIRE for USD57.99 all in. On the hotel's website, the cheapest rate is USD184.99!

This is for the end of June.

Cheers

I + F

I booked the Clarion Suites as soon as I could (like 50 weeks in advance) using the government rate. I got a rate of $95 a night. Now government is $181 and regular is $225 - so it's like staying 2 nights for almost a 1 night price. Can't beat that.

I booked the Clarion Suites as soon as I could (like 50 weeks in advance) using the government rate. I got a rate of $95 a night. Now government is $181 and regular is $225 - so it's like staying 2 nights for almost a 1 night price. Can't beat that.

And you didn't even need a Toursaver coupon :D :D

Archived