first timer

We are leaving next friday on the Sun to Alaska. There are a couple of things I'm not to sure on. Can you bring your own beer on the ship. My husband loves weird beers and I hear there is a brewery in Skagway I think? And I know he would love to pick up a bunch to take home with him. Also the soda card? I see you can buy one for 8 something. Is that per day? When you have supper do you pay extra for your milk, soda etc. Can you bring bottled water with you on the ship?

Thanks

Heather

We are leaving next friday on the Sun to Alaska. There are a couple of things I'm not to sure on. Can you bring your own beer on the ship. My husband loves weird beers and I hear there is a brewery in Skagway I think? And I know he would love to pick up a bunch to take home with him. Also the soda card? I see you can buy one for 8 something. Is that per day? When you have supper do you pay extra for your milk, soda etc. Can you bring bottled water with you on the ship?

Thanks

Heather

You can purchase beer/alcohol in port but they will hold it and return it to you the last night of your cruise.

You can bring your own water/soda on.

There is no extra charge for milk, coffee, tea, iced tea, hot chocolate, or juices (usually only available in the morning) with your meals or at the buffet throughout the day.

Unlimited Fountain Soda

Includes: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Soda Water

The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $8.63 per day per person x Cruise days

Thermal container can be purchased for an additional $3

I am just back from the Sun. I normally buy the soda cards but this time I didn't and I am very glad that I didn't. The weather is not cool enough to drink that amount of soda. I was lucky to buy 4 cans in the week so at $3.50 or whatever it was a can worked out much cheaper. You need to work out what is the best value for you. :) Mummsie

Beer- if your DH wants to buy beer to bring back home- yes- he can do that (don't know how much, though). When you reboard the ship at each port, your carry-ons will be X-rayed. Forbidden items will be confiscated and held for you until the end of the cruise (make sure they mark them properly with your name and cabin number). So he won't have his beer to enjoy on the cruise but will be able to take it home. DH has been successful in smuggling a few beers onboard, though, but they will stop you with more than a six pack.

Soda and bottled water- bring your own or buy some in each port. It's expensive onboard. If you decide to buy the soda card- you must buy it for the week, not just for one or two days.

My DH also likes weird beers- one of his joys of cruising (or other travels) is trying new beers- have a great time!

The best place to learn LOTS about Alaska cruising is to look under PORTS OF CALLS here at CruiseCritic. Then pick Alaska. You can scan for beer stories, or do a search on beer or better yet - brewery.

I am a bit confused, you say you are leaving on Friday? I am going on the Sun leaving on June 3, Sunday and am pretty sure I will still be on that ship on the Friday, you may want to check your dates or your ship.

I am just back from the Sun. I normally buy the soda cards but this time I didn't and I am very glad that I didn't. The weather is not cool enough to drink that amount of soda. I was lucky to buy 4 cans in the week so at $3.50 or whatever it was a can worked out much cheaper. You need to work out what is the best value for you. :) Mummsie

I could be wrong but I thought the soda cans were $1.75 plus 15% tip. We were just on the Sun and had a wonderful time. We brought our own water and soda on the ship. We only drank this in our cabin and then bought cans of soda from the servers whenever we were out and around. And yes there are lots of places to buy soda in the ports. Have a wonderful time and expect to get spoiled rotten as we did.:)

I am a bit confused, you say you are leaving on Friday? I am going on the Sun leaving on June 3, Sunday and am pretty sure I will still be on that ship on the Friday, you may want to check your dates or your ship.

Probably meaning that they are leaving home for Vancouver on Friday in order to get on the ship on Sunday.

Archived