Vesuvius or Mt. Etna?

As we will be in both areas in November, which volcano is your favorite? Can you tell me why you made that particular choice? We will be doing those areas one day after the other. I don't believe that I can do two. I have no idea if they are significantly different but would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Fran

I haven't been to Etna but just did the Vesuvius climb last month. The path is steep, so when they warn not to take the trip if you have heart, blood pressure or breathing problems they mean it. The only sign of activity at Vesuvius are spots where steam can be seen rising. Etna is currently more active.

have been to both. Mt. Etna last year in July was fogged in and even tho we took the tram up as far as possible couldn't see anything. There is a tour that takes 4 wheel drives up further still but I haven't done that.

Mt. Vesuvius is walkable and you can actually see inside the crater. Obviously you can't do that on Etna because it is active.

I haven't been to Etna but just did the Vesuvius climb last month. The path is steep, so when they warn not to take the trip if you have heart, blood pressure or breathing problems they mean it. The only sign of activity at Vesuvius are spots where steam can be seen rising. Etna is currently more active.

Did you do the climb on your own or were you part of a group? We'd like to do it in July but know it will be very hot.

We did Etna last June. It was fantastic. Views were stunning. It was very cool but felt good because we were there doing heat wave. Walking was steep and bottom part like walking on sand. It was so exciting to be on an active volcano compared to just ashes and rock.

i did a ship's excursion as far up as you can go on mt. etna. it was spectacular. i have some photos posted. the link is in my signature. click on the messina album.

Great pictures!! I had no idea you could get that close to the lava.

Great pictures!! I had no idea you could get that close to the lava.

the ground was quite hot where i took those pictures. some guy lingered so long the soles his shoes started to melt :eek:

i think this was one of my favorite excursions ever. if you get the chance do go all the way up. you have to take the tram and then these odd 4x4 mini busses.

Archived