Diving in Belize?

tammymacb

I think Belize is so crazy if you intend to drive in the city, that I would hire a driver. That was one of the craziest more depressing cities to visit. I would go out of the city if I went there again. Cave tubing anyone?

Are you going on a cruise or spending time in Belize? We were on Carnival Legend and dove with the ship. Carnival uses Hugh Parkeys. They are very good but as usual diving with the ship was less than desirable. Most dive ops in Belize City will not book a dive trip with cruisers unless you have 4 people. Also, Belize is a tender port which takes some time. Logistically it is easier to dive with the ship unfortunately.

Are you going on a cruise or spending time in Belize? We were on Carnival Legend and dove with the ship. Carnival uses Hugh Parkeys. They are very good but as usual diving with the ship was less than desirable. Most dive ops in Belize City will not book a dive trip with cruisers unless you have 4 people. Also, Belize is a tender port which takes some time. Logistically it is easier to dive with the ship unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some research. I'm going on the Carnival Valor and have a day in Belize. I've been researching Belize as a dive vacation ( only a month to 11 days in Grand Cayman WHOO HOOO) but haven't quite figured it out yet. I've also researched Roatan, so I'll dive with the boat at Anthony's Key as I wanted to check out the resort anyway prior to plunking down 5000. bucks to stay there ( it's the airfare that's killer :confused: ) It will be my DH and I, guess I'll have to work on some more divers to join us, I'd really like to book private.

Thanks!:)

Don't book through the cruiseline! It is an rough 1 hour ride each way to the dive site and not very good diving once you get there. I use http://www.belizeshoretours.com You get off the ship, catch a cab to the airport, take a 10 minute beautiful flight to San Pedro and get 2 dives in with time to explore the "not so depressing part of Belize". I've done it before, and I'm scheduling the same thing in August when I am on the Glory. It's great diving and also gives you the opportunity to explore more of Belize. Let me know if you have any questions.

I went to Belize in December on the Carnival Valor. We used Sea Sports Belize..... They were great.... Took us to 2 great dive spots and had lunch on a private island....... We saw great fish and the colors were awesome....:D We booked it through Shoretrips.com..... Enjoy......

I went to Belize in December on the Carnival Valor. We used Sea Sports Belize..... They were great.... Took us to 2 great dive spots and had lunch on a private island....... We saw great fish and the colors were awesome....:D We booked it through Shoretrips.com..... Enjoy......

You had 4 people I take it?. I found the woman there very unhelpful.

When we were there, we dove with Hugh Parkey's... and I would totally and completely recommend them!!!! They were actually better then the folks we dove with in Cozumel... Check out in the Photo Gallery here and search a thread called Best Underwater Photos... there are a number of them from Belize.

The problem with NOT booking through the cruise is that the dive sites are a ways away from where you anchor... so its a long tender, thats why the dive ops pick you up from the boat.

Have a GREAT time!!!

I second Sea Sports Belize. I dove with them on two different cruises. They go out in small groups, (no cattle-boat diving) They're a great outfit. It's owned by an American woman and her husband.

Hope this helps!

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/

We have used Sea Sports on two different cruises and and been very happy

with them. They are about a 150 yards away from the tender dock. On our next cruise to Belize i know that I will be going with them again.

Again you obviously had 4 people. They wanted to take our deposit but told us they would not take us diving if it was only the 2 of us. They were also unwilling to let us know if other people were interested in diving on the day we were going to be in Belize.

Again you obviously had 4 people. They wanted to take our deposit but told us they would not take us diving if it was only the 2 of us. They were also unwilling to let us know if other people were interested in diving on the day we were going to be in Belize.

We had 8 people the first time.

The summer before last, we had 3, but I was the only diver. There were other divers on the boat, (3 or 4, I can't remember), but the boat had around 7 or 8 people, plus the DM, and Capt.

Did you contact Sea Sports directly, or ShoreTrips.com? We've always dealt with them directly, and found Linda to be very kind, professional and helpful.

Now that the price of fuel has skyrocketed, they may need at least 4 divers to make the trip worthwhile.

As far as the other divers that day, do you think that they were unwilling, or unable ? (i.e., no one else has booked for that day?)

I'm surprised and sorry to hear that the person that you spoke to was not helpful.

In any case, no matter who you dive with, you'll love the diving in Belize.

I hope it works out for you.

We contacted Linda directly. The first time was in 2005. She did not even want to take a deposit if there were not 4 people. The last time was in January for our cruise in May. This time she was willing to take our deposit but was unwilling to notify us if other people were interested in diving on the day we were in port.

We are very hesitant to give a deposit in a foreign country unless we are certain we will be diving. Past experience has taught us it can be difficult and time consuming to get our money back.

We contacted Linda directly. The first time was in 2005. She did not even want to take a deposit if there were not 4 people. The last time was in January for our cruise in May. This time she was willing to take our deposit but was unwilling to notify us if other people were interested in diving on the day we were in port.

We are very hesitant to give a deposit in a foreign country unless we are certain we will be diving. Past experience has taught us it can be difficult and time consuming to get our money back.

It's obvious for whatever reason it's apparent that Linda or that dive shop can't meet your needs.... I understand both issues above but haven't had that problem... So I would suggest you contact a different dive shop for your dives..

Again, In Belize, if your uncomfortable with booking a private LDS, then stick with the cruise ship excursion. Really when you think about it, the actual number of divers on a cruise ship as compared to say the cave tubers, its quite small. Because of the long tender, to me, its better to book through the cruise for Belize ONLY... thats my 2 cents.

Nobody in their right mind would book a cruise ship dive excursion unless absolutely necessary. We have decided diving in Belize should be done when not cruising. Frankly, we have been more impressed with Cozumel.

Will say on this last trip Hugh Parkeys was a great dive op. They broke the people up into managable groups. The problem was with the divers not the dive op. People who don't have many dives who think they know it all. One woman nearly slammed me into the bottom because she did not pay attention to her surroundings.

The next day we had a private dive with Blue Ocean Safari in Costa Maya. It was awesome!

Nobody in their right mind would book a cruise ship dive excursion unless absolutely necessary. We have decided diving in Belize should be done when not cruising.

So are you saying that YOU have never booked a dive excursion thru the cruise ship?? Did you dive with Hugh Parkeys on your own or through the cruise ship?? Thats some pretty harsh words to say there...

I agree with not booking through the cruise ship where ever possible, however, there was a thread a while back about a dive couple being left at the dock when they didn't make it back to the ship in time. In MHO the length of Tender from the ship to shore in Belize, along with the time it takes to get to the good dive sites would warrant this time to book through the cruise ship. I have done dive trips on the their own and have dove with the cruise ships and have spent many weeks in foreign lands... and I would NOT want to be stranded in Belize while I watch my ship pull out. Left there with limited funds and clothing (and probably no passport) while the all your items are in a cabin on the ship.. NO THANK YOU.

Do what YOU feel is safe for you!!!

The couple that got left behind was in Costa Maya and they were booked with the cruise line. Just because you book thru the ship does not mean that you can not get left behind. I have already stated that booking thru Sea Sports was a very nice dive op and I would not worry about missing the ship with them any more than I would with bokking thru the ship.

I'm not going to get in the banter of this back/forth stuff of which dive shop or whatever... I liked Sea Sports and would use them again..... But I would like to ask how that couple got left behind? I thought if you were on a cruise ship excursion, they HAD to wait for you?? That's not cool that they got left behind...... :eek:

Archived