Dublin - Cruiseship Pier to City Centre etc.

I just read a post on the HAL board and thought it made more sense to post my reply here where it would be more likely to assist others who might be looking for this info this year and not travelling on HAL ships.

We've been to Dublin on several different cruise lines, well over a dozen times, and they've all docked at the same place. I must mention though, that these have all been the large, mass market lines like Princess and HAL. The smaller, upscale ships like Seabourn probably dock closer to the city centre.

I know what I'm contributing has been answered before, and I did recommend using the "Search this Forum" tool on this message board to find the info and almost anything else a cruiseship passenger might want to know about being in Dublin for a day.

Nevertheless, reading other posts, it has come to my attention that not everyone realizes the "Seach this Forum" tool exists, knows how to use it, or has a computer that it works well on.

-> decided it might help someone to have it posted again

Q.(posted by 6787) - We will be on the CELTIC KINGDOMS cruise this August and are wondering where the cruise ships dock when they visit Dublin and is there easy public transportation into the center of town?

A. Cruise ships dock at Alexandra Quay, out near the ferry terminal at the entrance to the River Liffey.

Look at a map of Dublin (or use one of the online map websites) and find Custom House Quay (= N side of the river) - follow it along the river until East Wall Rd runs off it heading N. Then look for Alexandra Rd running East off East Wall Rd. That will give you a good idea of where the cruise ships dock.

We have never used public transit to get into the city centre from the cruise pier because every cruise line we have ever been on has offered a ship's shuttle into Kildare St., right across from Trinity College. Some cruise lines charge for these and some provide them as a complementary service.

Since the cruiseships dock not far from the ferry terminal, there is likely a bus that runs out to it that you might be able to use.

This is the website for Dublin Bus if you want to pursue this option

http://www.dublinbus.ie/home/sitemap.asp

Most people seem to either use the ship's shuttles or take taxis to get into the city centre. You'll be able to see from the map that the distance is not too far to walk (if you are a good walker and enjoy the exercise), but, although we always walk into the city from most cruise piers, unless it would take more than an hour, we've never walked into town in Dublin just because the port area is very commercial, lots of big trucks running all the time and very unscenic and somewhat grubby. Just didn't seem worth the effort here - instead, we have chosen to ride to the city centre and then, if we want to walk, pick a scenic route through Ballsbridge and/or along the canal.

I'd also highly recommend using the DART if you want to orchestrate your own excursion out of Dublin - very easy to use and goes to interesting areas both North and South of the city.

http://www.dublin.ie/transport/dart.htm

Hope this helps.

You're welcome - always glad to help someone who wants to DIY.

I meant to post the website that shows the route for one of the Hop on/off buses in Dublin, but forgot -> here it is below. IIRC, there is more than one bus company offering this service in Dublin, but I think their routes and prices are very similar.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index2.htm

This is the website for this company's Hop on/off buses in all the locations where they operated. It's been posted on this forum many times before, but worth including again since so many people who go to Dublin choose this option for sightseeing.

A word of caution - the traffic in Dublin is usually horrendous (ie very slow - streets are jammed with vehicles and sidewalks full of pedestrians), especially if you're there in peak tourist season

-> allow yourself lots of time to get back to the ship's shuttle and/or to the pier.

We were in Dublin this May on the Century and did in fact walk into the city from the cruise pier. While it is a busy area there were sidewalks all the way and it only took us about 40 minutes to get into the center of Dublin. The ship was offering a shuttle for $20pp so we used the savings to enjoy a couple of pints on them!! We will be back in September and will do the same.

Very glad to hear you walked and that it only took 40 min. We'll definitely do that when we're there this year. Thanks for posting.

Now that they are doing so much work on the promenade along the river, it will be a nice opportunity to get some exercise and enjoy the riverfront.

I wouldn't pay 20USD pp for a ship's shuttle either. I really think some (most) cruiselines are doing everything they can to make it difficult for people to DIY in ports so they'll make money on shorexes.

Archived