Fam. of 4 - Cooler climate cruise?

familycruising07

Next summer I told my husband I'd love to go on a cruise in a cooler climate... we'll have a 2 year old and a 6mo.(currently pregnant) when we go... my thought is that I'd like to be lugging my 6 month old in a baby bjorn wearing comfortable clothing like jeans and sweaters vs. bathing suits and hot freakin' weather... am i right? Anyway, the only cruises we've been on are the caribbean. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, which cruise lines? We've only cruise with RCI. Thank you in advance! :)

Congrats on your new addition!

We saw a number of families with young children on our Alaska trip last summer through Princess. It was a 7-nt r/t out of Seattle, and the weather was superb while we were there (late July/early August) - cool enough for a mid-eight coat, but not so cold we needed to bundle up the whole time. You may wish to consider something similar. We preferred RCI, so we went back to that for our upcoming trip (with a 9 mo. old :)).

We really enjoyed our Alaskan cruise on Princess (our girl was 7 at the time). One thing to consider is whether you want to do a round trip (most of these are out of Seattle or Vancouver; Princess also has a 10-day out of San Francisco) or an one-way. If you do the one-way, you'll either have to fly into Anchorage or out of Anchorage. For most people, this is more expensive than flying roundtrip into Seattle or Vancouver.

If you do decide on the round trip, be aware that not every cruiseline does this.

There are four of us, 2 kids dd12 and ds9 cruising to Alaska from Seattle on the Golden Princess at the end of June. I haven't seem many postings of how it has been for families on Princess, so I will make sure and write something when we get back. This will only be our 2nd cruise, our first was on Disney, so we are curious about Princess.:)

What's nice about Princess is that they have a partnership with the California Science Center. So the kids will be participating in activities and arts and crafts that are science-oriented and relevant to the itinerary (making "glaciers" in Alaska, "coral reefs" in Hawaii, and the all time favorite: squid dissection). In fact, my daughter will be going on a field trip within the next week to the CSC here and I'm sure it will be fun for the kids.

Archived