Just booked back-to-back out of Vanc. - Where to stay prior & keep car for 2 weeks?

dcsam

Just received the 3 day sale from HAL. The deal was too good to pass, so we booked a cruise for July 29 out of Vancouver (round trip). We'll be driving and needing a place to stay for the night prior to the cruise. Trying also to find a reasonably-priced place to keep the car for 2 weeks.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Caroline

WA state

1. Re Parking - here's a link to the Port of Vancouver web site - it will show you the two main options - all HAL ships go from Canada Place.

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/infoPassengers/parking.html

2. As for hotels - if cost isn't a big factor stay at either the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront as they are adjacent to the pier. You will be in Vancouver at an exceptionally busy time of the year - so book as fast as you can.

3. For other downtown/English Bay info check out this site:

http://www.englishbay.com

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask for more info - there are a large number of locals on these boards looking to help fellow cruisers.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the information. I'[m now checking into B&Bs. Thought that might be a nice way to start our vacation. Much more personalized than a hotel. Any B&B suggestions?

Thanks much

Caroline

but i did know the former owners of the OH Canada house which also was just up the street from where i worked. Use the English Bay website as a guide. I guess it also depends on how much time you are likely to want to be staying in your room. There is also a fireworks contest on the Saturday night - that will draw upwards of 300,000 to the downtown core - it is a great event but be forewarned that many of the roads in the downtown core are closed to traffic - okay for peds and bikes

Here's a link to the fireworks event:

http://www.hsbccelebrationoflight.com/fireworks/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

There's really no inexpensive parking in downtown Vancouver. I'd second Urban Trekker's advice (hi, Dennis!).

Here's a direct link to the Citipark rates page. Citipark is the company that operates the parking garage at Canada Place.

The only cheaper alternative I can think of is if you stay someplace pre-cruise that will give you a deal on parking while you're on the cruise. Don't know how secure it would be, though.

BTW, if you don't mind huge crowds or you can find accommodation with a view, it's worth it to try and take in the Celebration of Lights.

Since you are in WA, have you considered taking the train up and back? Assuming you're convenient to any of the stations...

I'm not a big b&b fan (feels like everyone knows everyone's private business), so I can recommend either Vancouver Westin, and the lovely Listel hotel.

You all have wonderful suggestions. Somebody also suggested I check out taking the bus from Seattle. I like the train idea, but we'd still have to keep our car somewhere in Seattle. So, for convenience, I'm still thinking driving would be best. Another idea: Stay at an airport hotel - one that may offer park and fly packages. Leave the car there and taxi in. Keep your terrific ideas rollin'.

Thanks again!

Caroline

When we cruise from Vancouver, we drive from California. We park and stay at the Holiday Inn Express near, but not AT, the airport. They have a park and cruise package that includes parking, breakfast (continental) and a shuttle to the pier and back to the hotel. There is a Costco across the street.

When we cruise from Vancouver, we drive from California. We park and stay at the Holiday Inn Express near, but not AT, the airport. They have a park and cruise package that includes parking, breakfast (continental) and a shuttle to the pier and back to the hotel. There is a Costco across the street.

I've stayed at that Holiday Inn Express, and it's fairly decent.

Viv

Thought I'd tell you all what I ended up doing:

I booked a night at the Delta Vancouver Hotel near the airport. For $179 (CA), we can also keep our car there for the 2 weeks we'll be on our cruise. Cruisepark would cost us $175. There's a shuttle ($11/pp) to and from the cruise terminal. All in all, I think it's a pretty good deal and fairly convenient for us. We can cancel up to 4 pm that day, so I'll still keep checking into B&Bs (many are full, but if they weren't they would have offered free parking).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Caroline

Archived