Safety for Women walking alone in BA?

Tarheelbelle

Any of you adventurous women who have been to Buenos Aires--what is your opinion of safety for DAYTIME walking in the tourist areas of BA?--eg, in Calle Florida in Microcentro, Plaza San Martin and Retiro area, Avenida de Mayo.

I am an experienced solo traveler and have walked alone in many cities throughout the world, including Nairobi and Harare. I am always careful to research the times and areas to avoid.

I would appreciate your input about experiences with BA.

As I will also be walking about in Ushuaia, any advice about that town will also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi -

Buenos Aires is a safe city to walk around in ... and I wouldn't have any problems with walking alone in the daytime. Some suggestions:

-- It is very spread out. We were at the B.A. Hilton and it was a long, long way to Florida Street (shopping) and even longer to the area where Eva Peron's grave is located.

-- Take a taxi and then walk. Our taxi from the hotel to the ship's pier was $10 Argentine dollars; that is only $3.33 in US money!! Taxis are dirt cheap and they are happy with $1 US as a tip.

-- Some areas are not as safe to walk in, especially at night. (The Boca / artist's are is not safe at night).

-- I would recommend a 1/2 day mini-bus tour to see the highlights and determine which ones you want to return to see.

-- We were in B.A. for 4 days prior to our cruise (Feb. 2007) and we could not see it all!! It is a great city!!

-- Ushuaia is rather hilly, but you can walk to the area where the shops and restaurants are located. My spouse joined me for lunch in Ushuaia, but he walked back to the ship and I walked around town for 2 hours. I felt perfectly safe -- however it was very cold and windy, snow was blowing sideways. (I wore wool cap, gloves and silk longjohns under my many layers of clothes that day!).

-- In Ushuaia you will not be able to walk to the National Park ... it's probably 12 miles and the roads are not marked for pedestrians. Take an independent taxi. Our taxi in U. was $20 for both of us for an hour ... it's all we needed to get photos, and then he dropped us off in town for lunch on our own (yummmmmmmmmmmmy BBQ lamb.)

Hope this answers your questions.

Have a fantastic trip!:D

Liz

Thanks, lizbeth. [My cruisetour includes a halfday tour of BA and the tour to Tiera del Fuego NP.]

I really like to get out and see things and get some exercise when possible, as I am a fairly active person. I look forward to doing that. I really anticipate the cold and snow---I love it.

PS--I see you are from Arlington, TX. My best friend of 40 years lived in Sachse for a few years, so I was in that area many times! Great place!

Archived