Baby on Board?

Yurick

Okay - We are wondering if any of you could supply us with your personal experiences with taking a baby on board NCL. We are looking to cruise on the Pearl and were wondering facilities exist for a 9 month old? By 'facilities' we mean, like a play space with baby toys?

Does the cruise line provide a bassinet for the baby to sit in? What about high-chairs?

And does anyone know if the pools on the Pearl are saltwater or freshwater?

Thank you,

Mike

We have been on the Jewel twice with a baby (similar to the Pearl) - once when our son was 2 months old and again when he was 11 months old. As for a play area, they convert a conference room for a couple of hours a day as a play area where they put out infant/toddler-friendly toys.

There were plenty of highchairs in every restaurant we went to, including the buffet.

I forget between NCL and another cruise line - whether a crib or a pack and play was supplied for sleeping in the cabin.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to respond.

On both of our last two cruises, there have been babies in our party. (one sister in law in 2005 and the other in 2006!). The babies were both less than a year old when they went.

Both times, NCL provided a crib in the cabin. But be careful, some cabins will not allow a crib if more than 2 others are booked in the room due to space constraints. Make sure to request the crib at the time of booking since supplies are limited.

We were on both the Star and Dawn with the babies (similar to Pearl) and they did offer the "play area" as described above a couple days a week but we did not utilize it so I can't say.

As far as your pool question, I believe the NCL pools are saltwater, but the important thing to note is that babies and children who are not potty trained ARE NOT allowed in the pools (even the kids pools) due to Health regulations. (even with the "swimmy" diapers) NCL is (and has to be) VERY strict about this rule. Others have posted that if it evens appears you are about to put a child in the pool, they intercept you.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Okay - We are wondering if any of you could supply us with your personal experiences with taking a baby on board NCL. We are looking to cruise on the Pearl and were wondering facilities exist for a 9 month old? By 'facilities' we mean, like a play space with baby toys?

Does the cruise line provide a bassinet for the baby to sit in? What about high-chairs?

Thank you,

Mike

The Pearl's outdoor pools are fresh water and NCL uses non-chlorine chemicals in the water. :)

we have done 3 cruises with our son, at 6 months, 11 months and at 15 months. i think it is a great way to travel with a little one.

as for your questions - yes they provided a crib on our experiences it was a metal crib not a pack and play (we were on the jewel, sun and star). like previously mentioned they have an "under 2 zoo" which is a board room with toys spread out for the under 2 crowd to play. you have to be there with them though, there is no babysitting under age 2.

yep plenty of highchairs. if there are none in the restaurant you select they will bring you one.

almost all the pools on all the ships are saltwater and can't be utilized by toddlers or babies who aren't potty trained. the exception on the 3 ships we were on was the children's pool on the star, it was chlorinated (we had brought a small baby pool for our son to use and was informed by the guy in charge of the pool deck - no idea what that title would be - that we could use that pool cause it was chlorinated - i believe this is the exception rather than the rule on most cruise ships).

best part about ncl imho. is that under 2 gets charged for just port and tax (roughly $200 per sailing - only ncl and disney do this the rest charge a full fare). 2 and over get charged a 3rd person sailing but then you are eligible for the kids club. you have to indicate that you have an under 2 infant when you book (usually most sites will do this wrong online and you must do it over the phone). you will not be able to book a guarantee room, you will only be able to book a room that has a 3 person capacity (ie: 3 beds eventhough the 3rd person won't need a "bed")

the staff is very very kind to the children our son was treated like a king. any other questions ask away (don't forget your 9 month old will need a passport!)

We are having a baby soon, and wanted to travel soon. NCL told us that their age requirement is at least 6 months old to travel. They said they will provide a pack and play in the cabin, and they have plenty of high chairs in every restaurant.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We realize the baby are not allowed in the pools. And we totally agree with this. I would hate to think that our bundle of joy would spoil everyone else's enjoyment of the pools. So as suggested by a few people on these boards, we will be bringing a small inflatable pool.

Thank you,

Mike

I think your questions have been pretty well answered. NCL is very child friendly but remember, as has been mentioned; no exceptions to the baby and the pool situation. This is not just an NCL policy and the cruise lines are cracking down on this more every year. What some have done is bring along a small inflatable baby pool. the crew will help you fill and empty it, baby can splash and have a great time and no one has to worry about the sanitation issue. NMNita

Thanks to the op for this question. We too are thinking of cruising with our 7 mo. old. One more question. I've noticed on some of the other cruise line postings that they have a stroller rental available so you do not have to tote one along (I believe I saw $25/wk). Does anyone know if NCL also provides this service? Thanks

We just were on the NCL Crown with a 15 month Bring your own pack&play the one they supplied us was a Train wreak. The Under 2 Zoo (playtime for the under 2 yo) is a mat and some toys in a closed section of a restaurant but only open while at ship is at sea from 11:00 to 16:00. Bring food !!!!!!!!!!! thank god we did dinner was a nightmare trying to find food that he would eat For Dinner. My Son is not a picky eater but it was the way it was prepared.

I will say NCL staff did not stop anybody from putting kids in the pool Dipers or not.

Archived