Strange food question, but here I go

I do not eat pork. Are there any dishes that you can think of that have pork in them? I have found that lots of soups have bacon as a topping or bacon added to them, and often it is never mentioned on the menu. Thanks so much! I would hate to have to waste food and send it back. Also, are there any breakfast meats that are not pork (like turkey sausage)?

I bet if you asked the waiters they could tell you if a soup had a bacon garnish....they see it every cruise and would know. They usually have a vegetarian dish...that would be a safe bet. (I had vegtables in a creamy sauce served in a puff pastry shell...it was amazing!! My tablemate decided it looked better than what she got and ordered it as well.)

As for the b-fast meats...not sure. I didn't happen to notice on our last cruise.

I've never seen any breakfast meats made from Turkey on the cruise- sorry! Like the others have said, just ask the waiter when ordering bean type soups or if say green beans/black eyed peas/butter or lima beans happen to be served. They all most likely are served with or cooked with Bacon and Bacon Grease.

Maybe take a minute to do a search on this website, view the menus, and maybe then ask some specific questions on certain items that you're interested in. I'm sure someone here has ordered it before and could be of more help.

I do not eat pork. Are there any dishes that you can think of that have pork in them? I have found that lots of soups have bacon as a topping or bacon added to them, and often it is never mentioned on the menu. Thanks so much! I would hate to have to waste food and send it back. Also, are there any breakfast meats that are not pork (like turkey sausage)?

I looked at the breakfast menu from another poster and it looks like chicken sausage and turkey bacon are available in the dining room at breakfast.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/menus.htm

I think that if you call carnival long enough in advance that they can take care of any special dietary(sp?) concerns you might have, I'm not sure, perhaps Cotton or Mrpete might know more on this.

Tom

I am not really sure why you do not eat pork, but I would call Carnival and request a Kosher diet, even if you are not Jewish, this would ensure no pork would be served to you. Just a thought.

i would think that kosher meals would be much more limiting then just seeking out foods that contain no pork. i have no idea about cruises but i do know at disney, if you order kosher meals in advance, they are brought in from a company and the meals look similar to frozen dinners. mainly because the kitchens aren't kosher, so therefore, none of the food cooked in it can be kosher.

I did think about calling carnival, but I just did not wantto be a pain. I live in the south and pork or pork grease is in almost EVERYTHING here. I do intend on asking my waiter, it just seems like I always have to make a show of ordering. Then I get asked, "you mean you don't eat bacon?" I say no. Then I get asked, "you mean you don't eat ham". I then explain that ham and bacon ARE pork LOL! I just try not to make a big deal of it. I'm sure it won't matter so much on ou cruise because I bet the waiters are used to getting asked different requests. I am excited to hear someone mention they did have alternative breakfast meats. I adore breakfast food, it is one of my favorite meals. Thanks for everyone's comments and ideas. I appreciate them very much.

To be safe obtain a special needs form from Carnival, fill it out with regard to your dietary needs and fax it back as soon as possible.

We have a nut allergy in our family and we requested the special needs form and faxed it back to Carnival. Actually no one even consulted with us regarding this allergy, but there was a phone call from the pursers office regarding the availability of extension cords for the nebulizer in case he took a severe asthma attack as part of his allergy. We just asked our waiter what items on the kids menu could have been in contact with nuts or cooked in peanut oil. He checked with the kitchen.

Last year on HAL we filled in the same special needs form regarding the nut allergy and the Maitre D met with us at the first dinner meal to ensure that we did not receive any item containing nuts. He followed up with us on every meal to make sure that there was no cross contamination. The meals were prepared specifically for the little guy.

Your Maitre D on Carnival should also confirm with you on the first day what your specific needs are and then should convey this to the chef. If he does not approach you, then ask to speak with him (he should earn his tip after all). Your waiter should also be able to tell you if there is any pork used in any of the meals. On our recent cruise pork was only on the dining room evening menu once, but there is always an option for bacon, or ham for breakfast. They do have turkey and chicken sausauge/bacon alternatives. When in doubt just ask. The serving staff in the buffet may not know but they should be able to get someone to help you.

Good luck!

You made a good point about the buffet. I have completely given up on figuring it out at most chinese restarants! We just can't find a way to communicate effectively. I will fill out the form just in case. I hate to be a pain, but I would hate to waste food even more. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

i would think that kosher meals would be much more limiting then just seeking out foods that contain no pork. i have no idea about cruises but i do know at disney, if you order kosher meals in advance, they are brought in from a company and the meals look similar to frozen dinners. mainly because the kitchens aren't kosher, so therefore, none of the food cooked in it can be kosher.

From the Carnival site:

The following food is not available onboard:

• Kosher meals
  • Baby Food and Formula

They don't have a form for just not eating a food, only for medical needs, such a the above peanut issue.

Your best bet is just explaining your desire to the waitstaff.

You made a good point about the buffet. I have completely given up on figuring it out at most chinese restarants! We just can't find a way to communicate effectively. I will fill out the form just in case. I hate to be a pain, but I would hate to waste food even more. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

You're not being a pain. For whatever reason, you don't eat pork, and that's your decision. You have a right to continue to not eat pork on your cruise. I have a SEVERE fish/shellfish allergy. I've never filled out the form. I simply speak with the waiter on the first night, and they always make sure nothing has shellfish, fish, etc. At the buffet, I ask if I'm not sure, but usually, it's quite obvious. In the dining room, the menu is pretty explicit - if it contains bacon bits or something else, it is listed.

Archived