Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum on our own

Last year we did the Pompeii from Naples dock and this year me (Grandma) and 4 grandkids want to climb Mt. vesuvius and then go over to Herculaneum on our own. Any tips? Avoiding the taxis may not be so difficult this time as since there are 5 of us we don't fit in a taxi so easily. I do know that it is a very short train ride from the Naples station, but I'm not sure of the bus connection to the volcano.

Would appreciate your counsel.

The road up to the Volcano Park is vary narrow with lots of hairpin turns. It takes about 20 - 25 minutes to drive up. Then, you have to hike to the top of the crater - allow 20-30 minutes. There is usually a little man selling walking sticks for a couple of euros at the beginning of the trail! There is also a small gift shop with one toilet - not bathroom at the top. The volcanic soil is very soft like walking on the beach, so it's not an easy hike going up or down - there's not much traction. You should wear sneakers for this. Once up at the top, you can walk along the rim and the view is spectacular. The path is fairly wide and there is plenty of room to stay away from the edge. Plan to spend a good thirty minutes at the top before the 20 minute walk down. Sometimes there is a geologist up at the top who gives a very good explanation of what you are seeing. I have taken students to do this several times and they loved it - we had our own bus and were not limited to a specific timetable for a return. Herculaneum is also quite lovely, but very small. You may not be as impressed as by Pompeii, but it is worth a visit.

I hope this helps!

Archived