Mariner Review 8/1-8 Part II

FOOD: Breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer were quite pleasant, and one could gaze dreamily and peacefully at the ship’s wake. We and our teens enjoyed the buffets as we could get and try all kinds of things. Our teens are fussy eaters, but reveled in the varieties available. For Dinner, we dined at a table for 6: our family of 4 plus a mother and daughter. They seemed a bit shy so we spent much of the week trying to engage them in conversation. Overall, the dinners were good, but not memorable. I would give the food on the Navigator that we sailed on a few months earlier a perfect 10; the Mariner I would give an 8. We had cod, lobster bisque, ribeye steak (not too good), shrimp scampi, filet mignon(?), shrimp cocktail, lobster and shrimp, and on the final night a turkey dinner. Perhaps I would expect a turkey dinner in a cafeteria, but not on a cruise. RCI is smart: they serve the lobster dinner on the night when the port is Cozumel and many people don’t go to the dining room! That must save them a few $$. With regard to service, it started out a little uneven: my Seapass was charged for wine purchases not signed for by me, water glasses were not filled with regularity, and my wife sat with her shrimp cocktail for about 10 minutes with no cocktail sauce until we successfully flagged down our server. This is not to say that they were not working hard. The weak link in the chain was our assistant waiter who was relatively new on the job, but trying very hard. After the first couple of days, our servers really got a good rhythm going together, and our service was wonderful. Finally, my son and I wore tuxedos on formal nights and we got those special family pictures. I was surprised how many men and young lads wore tuxedos.

LABADEE: Some people like it. Some people don’t. It was our first time there, and we enjoyed it. It was a beautiful cove, and the water toys were fun. Waverunners were available even if one didn’t book in advance. My daughter went on a thrilling, hair-raising ride with a friend. Some people get put off by the Haitians working for RCI who help you find that perfect spot to settle down. I didn’t mind at all having them get out the lounge chairs for us, wiping them down, and arranging them. I gave them a decent tip.

The lunch consisted mainly of hot dogs, hamburgers, and rice and beans brought from the ship.

The weather was gorgeous, and it was a great vacation day.

JAMAICA: We spent the morning on the ship and then went to Island Village and Margaritaville for a couple of hours midday. The taxi drivers and others offering their services on the walk en route to Island Village were a little aggressive, but bid us a good day when we said no thanks. Margaritaville is a lively place, and we got standard burger and fries lunch fare. I was sure to wash it down with a Red Stripe beer and a margarita.

The employees at several Island Village stores were not too friendly, didn’t thank you for your purchases, and watched you like hawks when you shopped.

More to come…..

Richard I am enjoying reliving our cruise with your review. I agree with everything you have said so far with two minor exceptions. Normally, I like the food in the Windjammer Cafe but the cafe on the Mariner needs to improve. I can normally eat almost anything but I feel the food quality on this ship was dramatically lower than our previous experience on our last five cruises, all with RCCL.

The other exception is the service in the main diningroom. Our servers were all very close, if not the best on any RCCL ship we have been on. Our assistant waiter Ramon was definitely the best ever. Our glasses were never empty and we were always served our Sprite with our meal as we requested only on the first night, did not have to request afterward. And our server, Judith from Portugal was one of the best ever. Her suggestions were right on. We loved her and Ramon and wish we could have packed them in our suitcases and brought them home with us. If we ever go back on the Mariner, I will definitely request Judith to be my server.

Keep them comming Richard, I am enjoying them greatly.

Tim

Archived