BEWARE: No Air on Pride of Aloha

alittlehope

Sorry, but I missed previous posts that this has been going on for weeks. Could you direct me to them

thanks

Monte, the OP stated that a "server" told them that this had been going on for three weeks. However, I've looked and can't find anyone mentioning this on any prior cruise on this board, Hawaii, or Roll Call. So right now, that is a second person report only.

Monte, the OP stated that a "server" told them that this had been going on for three weeks. However, I've looked and can't find anyone mentioning this on any prior cruise on this board, Hawaii, or Roll Call. So right now, that is a second person report only.

Thanks-I missed that from the OP. Sorry. I've a hunch if this problem had been going on for 3 weeks, this board (and the Hawaii board) would've gone nuts over it. So I'll just wait and see if other reports come in.

Could be interesting to see if the next couple of sailings have these problems

I am sensitive to weather over 80 degrees. If the air conditioning doesn't work, I will be miserable and unhappy. During the recent cruise in Mexico this Spring, I unfortunately had a sun burn in the back of my neck (I stayed in the pool too long and I forgot my sunscreen). I was burning inside and formal night was excruciating because I was sweating. I hope the air conditioning problem will be resolve when I go this August.

Not having air would be a horrible problem. I can't imagine not being able to sleep; believing this has been going on for weeks is another story. If this were the case, even for 1 week we would have all heard about it a million times over. NMnita

If this were the case, even for 1 week we would have all heard about it a million times over. NMnita

This is true...the 'mobs' usually stampede for much less than this issue. If air were out on that ship, it probably would be all over the boards.

I took the OP at her word on the amount of time that the ship had the problem.

She also said over 200 cabins were affected on her sailing, didn't she?? I need to go back and look again.....

This is true...the 'mobs' usually stampede for much less than this issue. If air were out on that ship, it probably would be all over the boards.

I took the OP at her word on the amount of time that the ship had the problem.

She also said over 200 cabins were affected on her sailing, didn't she?? I need to go back and look again.....

I wouldn't question the OP about the a/c being out. 200 cabins out of 1,000 is just 20% of the cabins without a/c. 80% of the cabins probably still had a/c. Which might explain why others haven't posted.

We were on the Pride of Aloha 27th May... and we had no air conditioning....We were on deck 8 mid-cabin. We had no air for the first night and then some for the next 3 and then none for the next two, and then beautiful air for the last night (now we knew what we were missing). We informed reception each day, and they enchouraged us to do so, as it was a bit hit and miss as to who had air and who didn't. They ended up turning off the air to the whole ship to fix they problem. OK we were in port for the day, but this must have been hugh call to make. We were offered and used an on-board credit, and received a letter requesting us to contact NCL head office to tell them of our experience. I believe in the saying 'you catch more bees with honey....'. We witnessed some persons yelling and being very abusive to some staff. It was a very frustrating situation but each time we contacted staff if was handled extremely well. We were even contacted personally a number of times to see how things were going. I do not believe this was a problem on previouse crusies, there have been some bad reviews about this ship and none mentioned air conditioning not working. We were provided with a fan, after they had to go and buy them, if it was an on going problem they would have had the fans...there was also no airconditioning in our room stewards cabin and she said it had just happened that day. Unfortunatly the rumors on ship get around. We were personaly involved and will sail NCL and the Pride of Aloha again.

I wouldn't question the OP about the a/c being out. 200 cabins out of 1,000 is just 20% of the cabins without a/c. 80% of the cabins probably still had a/c. Which might explain why others haven't posted.

I'm sorry, I wasn't questioning the amount of cabins affected, was just 'talking out loud' basically. It would make sense that sections of the ship would be affected.

I do question the air not being fixed after that many weeks....I don't know if that is fact or not, but if it is, that is just horrible. You would think they'd get someone on board to have that fixed as SOON as they got back to port during the first week that happened....wouldn't you???:confused: It's airconditioning for goodness sake. How hard can it be for the right people to get on and fix it?

We were on the Pride of Aloha 27th May... and we had no air conditioning....We were on deck 8 mid-cabin. We had no air for the first night and then some for the next 3 and then none for the next two, and then beautiful air for the last night (now we knew what we were missing). We informed reception each day, and they enchouraged us to do so, as it was a bit hit and miss as to who had air and who didn't. They ended up turning off the air to the whole ship to fix they problem. OK we were in port for the day, but this must have been hugh call to make. We were offered and used an on-board credit, and received a letter requesting us to contact NCL head office to tell them of our experience. I believe in the saying 'you catch more bees with honey....'. We witnessed some persons yelling and being very abusive to some staff. It was a very frustrating situation but each time we contacted staff if was handled extremely well. We were even contacted personally a number of times to see how things were going. I do not believe this was a problem on previouse crusies, there have been some bad reviews about this ship and none mentioned air conditioning not working. We were provided with a fan, after they had to go and buy them, if it was an on going problem they would have had the fans...there was also no airconditioning in our room stewards cabin and she said it had just happened that day. Unfortunatly the rumors on ship get around. We were personaly involved and will sail NCL and the Pride of Aloha again.

Ok...I read this after already posting.

Now I can say that although I feel very sorry for you guys and I'm glad it wasn't me, it does feel better knowing they were trying to remedy it. The Op's post lead me to believe that the thing was busted for a couple weeks and nobody was doing anything about it.

Your take on it is obviously different....now I know they were trying to get you all fans, encouraged you to voice your complaints and compensated you for the inconveience.

Ok...I read this after already posting.

Now I can say that although I feel very sorry for you guys and I'm glad it wasn't me, it does feel better knowing they were trying to remedy it. The Op's post lead me to believe that the thing was busted for a couple weeks and nobody was doing anything about it.

Your take on it is obviously different....now I know they were trying to get you all fans, encouraged you to voice your complaints and compensated you for the inconveience.

The OP was obviously venting and being really upset never mentioned any attempt to fix it. I was under the same impression as you: nothing was being done. I am glad to hear there was an attempt to fix it. NMNita

:confused: I also was on the same fateful voyage as you. And I like you was without air conditioning. This was the second week of a Hawaiian honeymoon that my husband and I planned. It was our first cruise and will be our last. Thankfully we had a balcony cabin, but even still when the temperature starts out at 80 in your cabin at 4pm, it really doesn't cool off that much if the temp doesn't fall below 70 at night. But we had air movement thankfully. We have called NCL and they have opened a claim for us and the others affected. Supposedly they are going to determine reimbursements shortly. They gave us less then 10% so far, which is really a joke. And, they wouldn't offer us anything to make us more comfortable. We even asked to be let off the ship and provided a hotel room, we would pay our own air fair back to where we needed to be. They said they couldn't do that. So basically we were prisoners on a stinky hot ship in the south pacific on our honeymoon.

I also didn't care for the smell of food everywhere. It was like ponderosa or the golden corral on the ocean. And whats up with soda? We payed for the soda card but we had to pull teeth to get some. That was really odd.

Let me know how you are making out.

With Pride of Hawaii moving on to Europe, we were thinking of a 10-day cruise on Pride of Aloha. This thread makes me want to rethink that severely! Why would anyone want to take a chance on this ship? It doesn't speak well for the company either.

I booked a 10 day Aloha cruise. IMO-this is a problem that could occur on any ship and I have no doubt it'll be fixed before I sail. That's why I'll take a chance on this ship :D

Ship happens

-Monte

With Pride of Hawaii moving on to Europe, we were thinking of a 10-day cruise on Pride of Aloha. This thread makes me want to rethink that severely! Why would anyone want to take a chance on this ship? It doesn't speak well for the company either.

Why would anyone want to freak out about a future cruise when this has happened exactly once? If this is a recurring problem, then it's time to take notice. As others have pointed out, it could happen on any ship at any time.

I too was on the ship on the 9th deck forward (cabin 904). We were also hot with no air. No fans were offered you had to beg and get lucky. We actually saw one being delivered to a cabin wraped under a blanket so others would not see it. When asked on a scale of 1 t0 10 how hot the cabin was I told them that I am from Florida and if I say it is hot it is hot. NCL was not very forthcoming with information on when it would be fixed, and made it sound as if it was only a few cabins. Compensation had been limited to onboard credit, and the amount seems to vary on how vocal you were. Offered by NCL was 200.00 we found out others got 400.00 now I see that some even got 100.00 a day! Not being able to sleep comfortably or get dressed without sweating really put a damper on the trip (my makeup melted before it left the compact). Having people having to prop open their cabins or worse yet sleep on deck or the childrens play room (saw them putting beds in there) is unacceptable. Dining rooms were also affected and several closed leading to long lines at the buffet and slow service in the remaining dining rooms. We were also not informed that a virus outbreak happened on the previous sailing (remember being served on the buffet?) Pride of Aloha has had problems before with other things and according to other logs has a bad rep with the BBB (as in no response). We all traveled many miles, spent hard earned money and were treated like pests.This along with housekeeping and cleanliness issues will make this my first and last trip on NCL. :(

I too was on the ship on the 9th deck forward (cabin 904). We were also hot with no air. No fans were offered you had to beg and get lucky. We actually saw one being delivered to a cabin wraped under a blanket so others would not see it. When asked on a scale of 1 t0 10 how hot the cabin was I told them that I am from Florida and if I say it is hot it is hot. NCL was not very forthcoming with information on when it would be fixed, and made it sound as if it was only a few cabins. Compensation had been limited to onboard credit, and the amount seems to vary on how vocal you were. Offered by NCL was 200.00 we found out others got 400.00 now I see that some even got 100.00 a day! Not being able to sleep comfortably or get dressed without sweating really put a damper on the trip (my makeup melted before it left the compact). Having people having to prop open their cabins or worse yet sleep on deck or the childrens play room (saw them putting beds in there) is unacceptable. Dining rooms were also affected and several closed leading to long lines at the buffet and slow service in the remaining dining rooms. We were also not informed that a virus outbreak happened on the previous sailing (remember being served on the buffet?) Pride of Aloha has had problems before with other things and according to other logs has a bad rep with the BBB (as in no response). We all traveled many miles, spent hard earned money and were treated like pests.This along with housekeeping and cleanliness issues will make this my first and last trip on NCL. :(

I totally sypathize with all of you. I can't imagine sailing with no air. As for the comments about the fan being wrapped in a towel so no one would seet it: are you sure that was why the towel or are you speculating? As for bad rep with BBB, again, do you know this for a fact or are you again speculating from what others have said, have you checked to see about complaints to BBB from other cruise lines? Again, I understand your concerns, your unhappiness and your choice not to sail NCL again. I do wonder if you had all this information about BBB rating (which, BTW means nothing today) and had read all the negatives why you sailed NCL or how you just happened to stumble onto this board. I notice you are a first time respondent. Now, if you have been lurking but not posting you would have been aware of what to expect from NCLA (not NCL, btw) NMnita

• Administrators
Why would anyone want to freak out about a future cruise when this has happened exactly once? If this is a recurring problem, then it's time to take notice. As others have pointed out, it could happen on any ship at any time.

I agree with this viewpoint, especially considering that history has shown (American Hawaii, NCLA's struggles) that -- as "intellectually" appealing as intensive inter-island Hawaii cruising appears to be -- financially making it work in the super-competitive cruise market is very difficult. I won't be surprised if after 1-2 years of pricey Hawaiian cruises (after looking at NCLA's newly-released schedule, with price increases and port cutbacks) there are NO port-intensive Hawaiian cruises available.

That makes me very happy we are booked on Pride of Hawaii this July. Even so, I'm still jealous of those doing the Pride of Aloha's 10 and 11 day itineraries next winter and spring! Were I free to travel in the off-season (I'm not, I'm a teacher) I'd have booked one of those without hesitation. I compare those itineraries (one day at Lahaina, two at Kahului, two full days at Nawiliwili) to, for example, a Diamond Princess itinerary I studied, which had a whole 7 HOURS on Kauai -- to me there's no contest.

That said, my sympathies are totally with the OP and the others on the cruise who have posted on this thread. I am miserable when I'm hot -- I'm of a "certain age," and prone to "personal summers" anyway, and trying to sleep while sweating is just not going to happen. However, it does seem that (at least for some posters) NCLA tried to make compensation, etc. I'll be watching for trip reports and reviews from the next couple of Pride of Aloha cruises to see if in fact the problem is fixed. I hope for the sake of everyone booked on those cruises this isn't another Dawn/azipod issue as was reported extensively on the NCL boards -- months of missed ports, changed itineraries, etc. before a drydock was scheduled to (hopefully) fix the problems once and for all.

:confused: I also was on the same fateful voyage as you. And I like you was without air conditioning. This was the second week of a Hawaiian honeymoon that my husband and I planned. It was our first cruise and will be our last. Thankfully we had a balcony cabin, but even still when the temperature starts out at 80 in your cabin at 4pm, it really doesn't cool off that much if the temp doesn't fall below 70 at night. But we had air movement thankfully. We have called NCL and they have opened a claim for us and the others affected. Supposedly they are going to determine reimbursements shortly. They gave us less then 10% so far, which is really a joke. And, they wouldn't offer us anything to make us more comfortable. We even asked to be let off the ship and provided a hotel room, we would pay our own air fair back to where we needed to be. They said they couldn't do that. So basically we were prisoners on a stinky hot ship in the south pacific on our honeymoon.

I also didn't care for the smell of food everywhere. It was like ponderosa or the golden corral on the ocean. And whats up with soda? We payed for the soda card but we had to pull teeth to get some. That was really odd.

Let me know how you are making out.

We purchased the soda cards (on each) and we did not have a problem getting soda's anywhere. I did see some people however, having trouble as they had only one soda card, yet wanted two soda's.....

I totally sypathize with all of you. I can't imagine sailing with no air. As for the comments about the fan being wrapped in a towel so no one would seet it: are you sure that was why the towel or are you speculating? As for bad rep with BBB, again, do you know this for a fact or are you again speculating from what others have said, have you checked to see about complaints to BBB from other cruise lines? Again, I understand your concerns, your unhappiness and your choice not to sail NCL again. I do wonder if you had all this information about BBB rating (which, BTW means nothing today) and had read all the negatives why you sailed NCL or how you just happened to stumble onto this board. I notice you are a first time respondent. Now, if you have been lurking but not posting you would have been aware of what to expect from NCLA (not NCL, btw) NMnita

This trend of blaming cruisers for things that go wrong on their trip is really getting old. I don't see how reading and posting on these boards before hand would have helped this cruiser deal with the lack of AC on board. Give me a break.

This trend of blaming cruisers for things that go wrong on their trip is really getting old. I don't see how reading and posting on these boards before hand would have helped this cruiser deal with the lack of AC on board. Give me a break.

Did I miss something? I don't see anywhere where NMNita blames the OP (or anyone else for that matter) for their air conditioning problems. Like everyone she expressed sympathy for their problems. You seem to be giving her comments a very odd interpretation. I wonder why?

It seems to be her stock in trade, and I agree -- it is really old.

Archived