BEWARE: No Air on Pride of Aloha

alittlehope

I notice you are a first time respondent. Now, if you have been lurking but not posting you would have been aware of what to expect from NCLA (not NCL, btw) NMnita

I don't see how this would have helped her. If she had posted before her cruise, she might have been aware that the ship would not have AC? I don't think that would have made her experience any better.

The problem of no air on this cruise was at the least very disapointing. We purchased a thermonitor, and it was 87 in our cabin at night.....BUT from this first time we contacted reception we were treated with respect. We were enchourgaed to contact reception every day to let them know how we were going. We received on board credit (the amount I will not discuse here), and were enchouraged by NCL head office to write to them with our experiences. We were offered (and took) a fan on the second day. Another day when I was chatting to the reception staff about the problem, they offered me another fan. I must say that at no time did I yell or abuse any staff about this problem as I donot believe it was their fault and I do believe they were working on it. However I did see a large number of people abusing staff about a number of issues. I used read these boards lotsand lots prior to our departure and did not see one mention of air conditioning trouble. Woul I have taken the risk and gone anyway????? I read a lot of negitive points about this ship, and could not complaine about anything else.

This trend of blaming cruisers for things that go wrong on their trip is really getting old. I don't see how reading and posting on these boards before hand would have helped this cruiser deal with the lack of AC on board. Give me a break.
if you read what I wrote you wouldn't be attacking me:I said I have complete sympathy and I do, my point was her/his other gripes and making statements like they hid a fan under a blanket or BBB has had several complaints. This is obviously based on things that the poster has read; if that is the case and they knew ahead of time there could be problems why did they sail the ship in the first place? I am not minimizing the lack of air. Lord knows this could be a nightmare.On our HAL cruise last fall, the air barely worked in our cabin and no one seemed to be able to fix it. Did we suffer unduly (spelling) no, but it we did have some tough nights.NMnita

I was there too! However was one of the few lucky ones... I had air.

I was only a few doors down from the hot folks, and my cabin did have problems keeping up, but compared to everyone else I was in great shape.

From what several crew (including on officer in white), the problem had begun before our cruise! It would appear that the ship's air is set up in three sections... fwd, mid & aft. Midship was out... including crew cabins.

One day toward the end, after a nice long hot day out on the island... I was ready for my nice cool room... WRONG! Note on door, apologizing that to repair the air problem my air had been turned off at 11 am. Sun beating in the window... I could have cooked dinner in there. Thank goodness for cold showers. ;-)

Hot people don't make for happy people... crew or passengers. Many of the crew were taking verbal abuse, from frustrated passengers. The ones I saw taking the hits, had nothing to do with maintenance, they were in food service and cabin stewards.

NCL did not handle the situation very well.

As for me, it was crew and food I've ever had with NCL!

The only time I was spoken to rudely was at 3 am the last night, when I went down, to see why I hadn't receive my bill. A female officer about bit my head off for asking... "They won't be ready for hours!" Reading between the lines.... it would appear they might have been having computer problems too.

The morning we disembarked was some what of a disaster, if you had a problem with your bill. With the bills coming out so late, and so many problems with them, the line was so long that they were calling people color tags to disembark... and they were still in line. (me included) The biggest problem appeared to be that 'on board credits' were not credited.

I decided that my little $25 onboard credit wasn't worth the trouble and jumped ship.

Oh yes there was one other little thing, the ship wasn't talking about... it would appear someone(s) was ill on the previous cruise. For the first few days, passengers were not allowed to serve themselves at the buffet. Not a real problem, but sure makes me wonder what else they don't tell us.

My motto of cruising with NCL truly paid off... "expect the worse and hope for the best"

I packed my sense of humor, and managed to have a great time.

I've got to tell you....

As someone who's just beginning to pack for my POA cruise on the 17th, I'm finding it really hard to put my sense of humor in there.

Not having AC midship--when I know we're booked on a mid-ship cabin--is scaring the bejeesus out of me.

Offered by NCL was 200.00 we found out others got 400.00 now I see that some even got 100.00 a day! :(

How would you spend $400 a day credit? I guess you could home with a whole new set of clothes from the stores. Or some fancy jewelry.

NCL was not very forthcoming with information on when it would be fixed, and made it sound as if it was only a few cabins.

A standard action for NCL. They are very famous for lying and keeping things quiet if they think it will end up costing them money.

Just think of the number of cancellations that NCL would get if it was known that the airconditioning on a ship was working. Even those over a month out would be cancelling!

I personally have been lied to by NCL on more than one occasion. It is normal operational procedure for them.

Compensation had been limited to onboard credit, and the amount seems to vary on how vocal you were. Offered by NCL was 200.00 we found out others got 400.00 now I see that some even got 100.00 a day!

Another norm for NCL. Time and time again, it has been shown on these boards to offer differing compensation for the exact same problem. I know NCL does it to try to save money in compensation, but since so many on this board tell their stories, it just makes NCL look crooked.

Many times, they don't give any compensation to some while others who complain got something. and yes, how vocal you are does have something to do with the compensation you will get....whatever the smallest amount they can get away with to shut you up.

Pride of Aloha has had problems before with other things and according to other logs has a bad rep with the BBB (as in no response).

First the BBB is only good if you want to hear something good. I have heard that because of potential lawsuits, the BBB won't give a negative review of any company. If it is bad, they just won't say anything. So don't put a lot of stock in anything the BBB reccommends!

A standard action for NCL. They are very famous for lying and keeping things quiet if they think it will end up costing them money.

Just think of the number of cancellations that NCL would get if it was known that the airconditioning on a ship was working. Even those over a month out would be cancelling!

I personally have been lied to by NCL on more than one occasion. It is normal operational procedure for them.

Another norm for NCL. Time and time again, it has been shown on these boards to offer differing compensation for the exact same problem. I know NCL does it to try to save money in compensation, but since so many on this board tell their stories, it just makes NCL look crooked.

Many times, they don't give any compensation to some while others who complain got something. and yes, how vocal you are does have something to do with the compensation you will get....whatever the smallest amount they can get away with to shut you up.

First the BBB is only good if you want to hear something good. I have heard that because of potential lawsuits, the BBB won't give a negative review of any company. If it is bad, they just won't say anything. So don't put a lot of stock in anything the BBB reccommends!

Keystone, that is why I questioned the comment about the BBB. They are just not the same as they were about 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know where that poster got her imformation that BBB says NCL has a bad reputation. NMnita

How would you spend $400 a day credit? I guess you could home with a whole new set of clothes from the stores. Or some fancy jewelry.

I think the poster meant $200 or $400 total or some people got $100 a day. Not $400 a day;)

Hmmm, let's see - $400 x 9 = $3600. Pretty close to our bill on the Pearl in February:eek: .

We had no problem in paying our bill. We went to reception at about 7.00pm on the night before we got off the ship. I paid my bill, my on board credit was used and we had no problems. We use the express check out and were the second people off the ship....no problems at all. I guess everyone has something different to say. Lots of peoples experiences differ to others, a 'bad' situation for some may not be 'bad' for others. If you are aware of some of the problems people have encounted before you get on board you may be able to avoid these yourselves. The ONLY problem we had was no air, yes a major problem, BUT everything else was fantastic.......

• 3 weeks later...

We also purchased soda cards, but when we asked for a soda in some cases they took our cards and then we waited 20 minutes for our sodas and then had to ask for our cards back. Then when we wanted a refill it took aother 20 minutes. They don't have fountain machines in the formal dining areas or the buffet. I think the waiters had to walk to a bar to get us sodas. This is why it took so long. Also if we just wanted to eat at the buffet, we had to take turns getting soda or go to the bar before hand (which we would forget sometimes). We got our food then one of us had to run out to the bar, where we waited sometimes as long as 10 minutes (during peak hours) to get one soda, then my husband would run out to get his. Its just not convenient, and made the wait longer then necessary and sometimes just frustrating. I am not certain what prevents them from having soda machines in the resturant and buffet area. I just found it frustrating at times especially since we paid over $100 dollars for soda for a week. For that price it should have been much more convenient for us.

• 1 month later...

Pride Of Aloha. 7 Days With NO Air Conditioning.

We booked a 7 day cruise around Hawaii with NCL. When we arrived the room was hot and they could not fix our a/c the entire trip. We were sold an air conditioned cabin. They had air conditioning trouble before we got there and we where not told. At least we could have changed plans when we had a chance before boarding. We traveled with a large group of retired Miami Dade fire fighters and many in our group didn't have a/c either. We were offered a credit of $600.00 each for 2 people in our cabin but we had 3 people in our cabin. They have stated they have done all they are going to do and now they won't respond. We don't feel they have the right to tell us what we have to accept & if we don't accept their offer, tough luck. We tried to leave the ship early but our airline tickets where unrefundable and 3 new tickets came to about $2200.00. When we got off the boat they where already loading the next batch and like us they where not told they did not have the a/c working in many cabins ( 92 ).

Please help us in this matter. We stand alone against a big company that actually defrauded us and no one can help us. We actually had other friends cruise Hawaii 2 weeks after we did and the joke around the islands was ( are you on the ship with no a/c ). I wonder how many they notified that the a/c was not working.

NCL YOU STINK

We booked a 7 day cruise around Hawaii with NCL. When we arrived the room was hot and they could not fix our a/c the entire trip. We were sold an air conditioned cabin. They had air conditioning trouble before we got there and we where not told. At least we could have changed plans when we had a chance before boarding. We traveled with a large group of retired Miami Dade fire fighters and many in our group didn't have a/c either. We were offered a credit of $600.00 each for 2 people in our cabin but we had 3 people in our cabin. They have stated they have done all they are going to do and now they won't respond. We don't feel they have the right to tell us what we have to accept & if we don't accept their offer, tough luck. We tried to leave the ship early but our airline tickets where unrefundable and 3 new tickets came to about $2200.00. When we got off the boat they where already loading the next batch and like us they where not told they did not have the a/c working in many cabins ( 92 ).

Please help us in this matter. We stand alone against a big company that actually defrauded us and no one can help us. We actually had other friends cruise Hawaii 2 weeks after we did and the joke around the islands was ( are you on the ship with no a/c ). I wonder how many they notified that the a/c was not working.

NCL YOU STINK

You are absolutely right. Stick to your guns and don't give up without a fight. If you lose - appeal. It's your right so go for it! But--isn't this old news? And if a bunch of firemen thought it was hot, --- ;)

NCL YOU STINK

Write a letter to HQ...good luck:)

Archived