Carnival Glory

wenpop

We decided on the Carnival Glory. Since we are coming from Atlanta and did not want to fly. We have 4 children, ages 7,11,15, and 17... We are getting 2 rooms, 1 (8b)balcony and 1 inside 4D... On the E deck...

Do you think my kids will have fun in the kids clubs? Do they do anything fun? Not sure my 7 year old will want to stay by himself, do you think they will let him play in the next age group with his brother??

Anything else you can tell me about this ship would be great?? Things to do for the kids, a good port to get off with them and check out... A nice beach to snorkle.... Oh, we are going on the Western Carribean....

What night is formal night?

Haven't been on a cruise since 1995.......

thanks for any help!!!

wendy

Hi Wendy,

We are right up the road from you in Adairsville, Georgia! We are going on the Glory in November, and it can't get here soon enough. We don't have small children, so I don't know about those programs, but you should get some feedback from this board.

When do you cruise?

We are coming from Northwest Ga. I work in Chattanooga. We will be on the Glory Sept 1th. Sorry no kiddos. I thought this was funny all the GA folks. We are coming down the night before and staying at the Country Inn and Suites in St. Augustine. Last year went on the Celebration out of Jax. Drove down the day before, went by Savannah, had lunch and stayed in Kingsland GA the night before. Anyhoo hope the Glory is as much fun as last year on the Celebration.

Now I have heard that if the child is mature enough they will ket them go up a group in Camp Carnival.

We are going Dec 1st this year... My son is graduation early and he wants to go on a cruise for his senior trip... I have been working a part time job to save money for this trip, I am almost there!!! Put down the deposit today!

We will be coming down on Friday after school, It takes about 7.5 hours... I guess we will be going straight to sleep when we get there.. I hope I can find a place to let us park for the week...

We are going Dec 1st this year...

That is funny! Wendy, you are getting on the ship when we are getting off...we leave on November 24th and get back on December 1st. We booked a balcony on the Lido deck, and our daughter and son-in-law are in an inside room on the same deck.

We usually stay at the Radisson Inn in Port Canaveral. It is a very nice place, and they let you leave your car parked there and they shuttle you over to the ship. We have always had a good experience when we have stayed with them.

We are going Dec 1st this year... My son is graduation early and he wants to go on a cruise for his senior trip... I have been working a part time job to save money for this trip, I am almost there!!! Put down the deposit today!

We will be coming down on Friday after school, It takes about 7.5 hours... I guess we will be going straight to sleep when we get there.. I hope I can find a place to let us park for the week...

You will love the Glory! There is a parking garage at Port Canaveral and parking is $12 a day.

Wendy - I see you are right down the road from me! We will be sailing on the Glory 9-15 (Eastern). First, I want to tell you - we just drove to St. Pete (opposite coast of Cocoa Beach). Mapquest told us it would be 7.5 hours - it took us 9! Just DH and I, so no kids to stop for. There is a tremendous amount of construction on I-75 all the way down, and for many miles at a time there would be only two lanes open. I would plan for a little longer than 7.5 hours with the kids!

Your issue with the kids in the clubs will probably be that they won't have a lot of kids in them at that time of year. We took our kids last year - 20, 17, and 10 yr twins at the time. The twins LOVED Camp Carnival, but there were only about 8-12 kids at a time there (we cruised during our September school break). You will get a daily capers from the camp with their activities, and can pick and choose what to attend. I could not keep my boys out of it after they went the first time! :) I am pretty sure that the 7 year old will not be able to "move up" with the 11 year old with such an age difference. I have heard that sometimes they will let the older child move down. Formal nights on the 7 night cruise are the 2nd and 6th night, I think.

Now I have heard that if the child is mature enough they will ket them go up a group in Camp Carnival.

Where did you get that info? Why would a 7 year old be allowed in a 9-11 age group? That age group is allowed to sign themselves in and out. Actually ages 9 and over can do it.

Next,why would a group of 9-11 year olds want a baby in their group?

You can go down a group with permission.

Hello - May I also suggest you check out the East Coast Departure board and the thread "I Live in Port Canaveral". There is a wealth of information there.

We are sailing 9/8 and staying at the Country Inn and Suites, Port Canaveral. I got the rate off the internet for $89.00 with two queen beds. They will let you park your car there for free. They also have free breakfast and a shuttle to the ship.

Also, check the "Roll Call" Board and find out who else is sailing this date. Maybe some kids already that they can meet before you sail.

When I have sailed Carnival they DO NOT let the kids go up or down in groups. They have the activities geared towards the ages. It is important to make sure you hook them up as soon as possible. Kids tend to meet and stay together. I am sure the younger ones will love it. The older ones seem to just meet and hang out! lol

Good Luck and ask any questions you need.

We are going on that exact cruise (same date!) and have kids in the same age groups!

My two are boys 11 and 14 and my brother's two are girls 11 and 14.

I'm thinking the 11 year olds will have a blast with all the camp activities and from what I've read here, I'm sure the 14 year olds will all find fun.

I was worried that since 12/1 is not an "off" time for school that there would not be many kids on the cruise. I'm happy to see some :)

I'm about to finally pay our final payment, so I can now save for the excursions.

Any worries about the school work the older ones will miss? My 14 year old starts high school this year!

We are also driving down after school on Friday.

Can't wait!!

Will not happen!

If a child has just turned an age that will put them in the next age catagory up and you talk to the Camp Carnival director, they may or may not let the child go down a group, but not up.

These are Capers for the age group you are asking about. They are a different ship but the activities are similar. They were originally posted by wennfred (thanks Fred).

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/6-8.html

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/9-11.html

My nieces and nephew had a great time. In fact the 7 year old would cry when it was time to leave, he liked it so much.

As others have said, they may let someone on the edge of a group move up or down based on maturity or family in another group. However, I don't think you want your 7 year old to move up with other 9 to 11 year olds. You know how your own behaves but not how others would and I don't think they would allow that big a leap in any event.

If the kids want to hang out together they have the ports and the pool. And anyway, your kids have different classes and friends when they are at home..they will do just fine at Camp Carnival in their own age group.

Have fun. You'll be hooked;)

Where did you get that info? Why would a 7 year old be allowed in a 9-11 age group? That age group is allowed to sign themselves in and out. Actually ages 9 and over can do it.

Next,why would a group of 9-11 year olds want a baby in their group?

You can go down a group with permission.

A 7yr old is hardly a "Baby"

Wenpop,

My first cruise with the kids was may 05' they were 10 and 13 boys.

My youngest was open to camp, no way for the 13yr old. the post is right...the age groups are set for a reason, as they age they are more independant requiring a different level of supervision. The best part was in the 9-11 they can check themselves in and out. My son liked that as he would stop by and see what was going on, if he liked it he stayed if not he came back to me and found something to do. Camp has some fun stuff, you just have to keep bringing it up. Your teens hopefully will find a few friends, will enjoy the teen disco etc. we did 4 ports of call just to decrease the at sea days not knowing how the kids would do. they loved it and we are heading out again on glory in July.

Be flexible, each got an allowance to use in the arcade...I did it as a daily allowance that way they dont spend it in the first 10mins then have nothing else to do the rest of the trip. My oldest played some basketball, he also hung with a couple we met and did some shore excursions with. they were awesome and young so he liked to spend time with them from time to time. I did let them bring one play station and sometimes they just hung out in the room playing that. Our arcade had a movie area and my youngest and husband watched a movie one day. The biggest thing is we talked about each person needed to respect what others wanted to do and at times that would require them doing something that they may not want to do. We really did well and Im looking forward to july. Know that when you are going there may not be loads of kids(not such a bad thing) so they may have to make alittle more effort to meet others. If I can remember I'll try to check out some of the activites and report back to ya.

You're children will have a wonderful time. We were on the Glory last year. Carnival has an impressive teen and kids program which seems to be a big hit. In addition, to the arcade and games room.

My children prefer to cruise versus traditional island vacationing. The cruise provides them with an opportunity to meet other kids and develop lasting friendships. We have actually plan subsequent cruises to correspond with vacation plans of friends they have met on previous cruises.

We have been cruising for the last 8 years aboard Carnival. We will be cruising the Liberty in July. The entire family actually looks forward to cruising each year. The kids actually have already selected our destination/ship for next year. It will be aboard the Libery again, with stop in Grand Turks.... new island we have not visited to date.

You're family will have a wonderful time. Please remember to return to share your experience.

Archived