Help with group rate discounts

Can anybody tell me how this works. I have 22 cabins and I am getting just over a $1000 credit back from my travel agent. I expected more. I thought two people get to go free except for the payment of the port charges and Govt fees which I was told are about $200 per person. The Price per person is about $1100. I expected about $1700. Maybe I'm wrong. Can anybody help? Many Thanks

Are all the cabins in the same category? The TC credit is based on the price of the most berths..

if you have say 10 cabins in one categoy, 5 in another and 7 in another, then the one you have 10 in is what the TC is based on. 3rd and 4th passengers do not count in the cabin toward the group either. It is 1 berth per 16, so 22 will only qualify for 1 TC credit.

oops sorry mis read the number of cabins.. you have 22 you said.. I read it as 22 people...

So technically it should be 1 TC for every 8 cabins basically, so you should have 2..

The rate still applies the same. What category do you have the most cabins? what is the rate of that cabin per person before tax and port?

You get 1 berth (basically one person) free for each 8 cabins that you book. With the discount based category with the highest number of rooms booked. So if you have 22, you have 2 free berths in the category with the highest number of cabins.

If you tell us which categories you are booked in then we might give you a more definitive answer.

Thanks for all your replies. I actually have 14 double cabins at 1070.77 per person, 3 double balcony @ $1450.77pp, 5 quad cabins @ $1140.77 for 1st and 2nd person

Which categories are the cabins? They have doubles and quad in different categories and there are also different kinds of balconies.

Thanks Sue. The categories are 3 Category E2, 5 category L, 12 Category N and 2 category Q.

your largest number of cabins is the category N, so you will get two of those berths free, minus taxes and port charges and also minus any commissions or fees.

How do I know if the discount I have been given is correct, if I don't know what other fees have been taken out or what commission the TA has taken. Sorry I'm a little confused, I am just making sure I am getting what I am entitled to as this is new to me. Thanks. Do you have any idea what I should get? Thanks. I am trying to bring it up to 24 cabins, but don't know whether its worth the extra work.

So using your numbers, 1070 being the least, and assuming the $200 per person port charges, that leave 870 x 2=1740. I know in your original post you said you only got an $1000 credit and I do think you should be getting more. If your TA is local I would go to their office and ask for a itemized invoice so you can see exactly what they are doing.

If you used a online TA, then ask them to fax the invoice you really need to know what they are charging.

Karen good luck, if you do get the invoice then maybe you can post more definitive numbers.

And no I am not a travel agent but I am obsessed with cruising and book many trips for friends and family.

I used to be a TA and the TC credit does not have a commission so you should be getting 1740 credit based on the information you gave Sue.

Now I can tell you that TC credits do not apply until after final payment, since the group size can change up until that time. Since you have 22 cabins, you can, in reality, have 6 cabins cancel and still maintain that TC credit.

I would ask the TA to break down all categories in the following way,

Base rate

Port

Tax

How many cabins in each category, which you probably know anyway. The TC credit is the base rate x 2.

I will be happy to look at anything you get if you want. I have a fax machine since I telecommute for my job. I am no longer a TA but did it for many years, working into my current position as a meeting planner. No more booking travel for me except my own!

Right now Cat N's are pricing at 750 per person...so if the rates were the same you would have a credit of 1500.00.

Your TA will need to let you know exactly what rate was paid broken out and if I were you, I would ask her how the credit was determined. Usually you wouldnt really know for sure what the credit is until after sail date.Or you san just subtract it from your rooms at final payment.

The port charges are: 159.00 and taxes are 51.59 total 210.59 per person

Well I just checked cruisingpower.com myself being a TA Owner and it doesn't leave on July 27th- your cruise would either have to be 7/22 or 7/29.

Like lvtotrvl1 says all you have to do is see which cabin category you have the most booked in... which you say is N... then your TC Credit is the base amount before any taxes times 2- since you say you booked 22 cabins- in

other words if the cabin rate per 1st and 2nd person is $749.00- your TC

Credit is $1498.

Again you can either use the credit anyway you want to- you can give it for free too two friends excluding taxes and fees- or- use the credits as extra profit or donation to your group.

Archived