Snorkel Gear

Lisa NJ

After our first (and only!) experience with the stuff a tour provided we are buying our own to take with us. We had never snorkeled before so it was good to try it out but will take our own from now on. We bought a set at Sam's Club for DH that someone recommended here that seems like a really nice set.

The public use stuff was old, worn out, and who knows when it was last cleaned.:eek: :eek: :eek:

If you enjoy snorkeling on vacation.. you'll enjoy snorkeling anywhere:) Buy your own .. for all the reasons everyone has already stated. If you REALLY like it you'lln LOVE Scuba diving:D It's the closest most of us will come to weightlessness ( Space)

Tom

DH works at a sporting goods store so he gets a 50% discount, needless to say we bought ours before our first cruise. We also purchased a snow shoe pack to carry them in. The snow shoe pack gave us room to carry 2 sets of fins, 2 masks, 2 snorkels and some sundries. The thought of using snorkels that other's have used grosses me out:eek:

If you enjoy snorkeling on vacation.. you'll enjoy snorkeling anywhere:) Buy your own .. for all the reasons everyone has already stated. If you REALLY like it you'lln LOVE Scuba diving:D It's the closest most of us will come to weightlessness ( Space)

Tom

Yes, thanks Tom and the others!

Years back my DH and I were advid Scuba divers...my last dive, I decided it was getting a bit much for me...:rolleyes:

My DS wants to take a beginners dive (13 yrs old)...well, actually, he wants to take the "normal dive". I explained the C-Card and classes involved...

We are looking forward to a great time...I have to dig the ol snorkel gear out:p ...maybe in need of some new stuff:)

We used the rental from the ship last time and this time we bought our own mask and snorkel form an online dive shop-cheap and great quality. Now we we can snorkle anytime, anywhere after our scuba excursions without other's germs.LOL We may rent fins, because we didn't want to buy those and haul all the way across the US., but I not sure if we really need them anyway???

Lisa

I bought my own set on sale. Now I can go snorkeling at the beach and not have to worry about renting it. Plus, in Grand Cayman, I had trouble finding a mask the right size among the provided ones so this way I got one that fits me the way I need it too.

Another plus is that then you can practice before you go. Last time, it took me most of the time to figure out the snorkel tube!

On the Conquest a few weeks ago, the cruise director announced that the ship had bought several thousand snorkels, and they were for sale at the purser's desk for $5. We brought our own snorkels and masks with us, but I saw many people buy the ship's snorkels once they heard the CD's comments about how gross those used snorkels must be! We did use the fins provided, though, because we were trying to travel light.

Hey Lisa...since I know you're not far from Dick's at MOG I was looking at their web page to check out their snorkel stuff...I also need to buy me a set, and they have the whole set for about $40.00.

I got my husband a set before our cruise last spring, but I can't remember where I found it.

I've got to go out by the mall to to do an inspection tomorrow for a new office building, so I may stop by there and check them out. If they have any good prices on them I will let you know.

Last year we bought our own masks and snorkels that were on sale at a very good price. I like using our own snorkels for many of the reasons already mentioned, plus ours are the dry-style so you won't accidentally suck in water if the snorkel top is under the surface.

We don't bother packing fins, we either go w/o if going out on our own, or use what is supplied if we're with a tour that offers the gear.

John

Hey Guys,

Question, who brings their own snorkel gear (mask and snorkel) and who gets it at the location of snorkeling? :rolleyes:

We brought our own (no fins) when cruising to Cozmel and would continue to bring our own on future trips. It fits perfect and there are no germ issues.

My former "theme color" was yellow. So I went out and spent about $200 on snorkel, mask, fins and a nice bag.

Like an idiot, in Feb, I managed to leave the whole set onboard the Conquest.

In my own defense, I bought new luggage and left my old stuff onboard. In the process, I forgot my snorkel stuff.

Although this was a tough realization, it opens the door for me to buy new stuff... all in PINK! My new "signature color" :p

I prefer to bring my own gear. I wear contacts, and it's not really easy to find just the right mask, in the right color, to fit your face right so you don't have to worry about your contacts getting wet and falling out inside your mask.

We took our own snorkels and masks, using the rental ones just sounded gross. We also got snorkels with floats in them that close when you go under and open again as soon as you surface, they're great and you can practice before you go!!

Hey Lisa...since I know you're not far from Dick's at MOG I was looking at their web page to check out their snorkel stuff...I also need to buy me a set, and they have the whole set for about $40.00.

I got my husband a set before our cruise last spring, but I can't remember where I found it.

I've got to go out by the mall to to do an inspection tomorrow for a new office building, so I may stop by there and check them out. If they have any good prices on them I will let you know.

Great, thanks for keeping me in mind.

My DH and I have a set (old; but still in good condition); I would like to get the kids a "good" set (or better then what they have:) )...they have the Wally Word set.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Last year we bought our own masks and snorkels that were on sale at a very good price. I like using our own snorkels for many of the reasons already mentioned, plus ours are the dry-style so you won't accidentally suck in water if the snorkel top is under the surface.

We don't bother packing fins, we either go w/o if going out on our own, or use what is supplied if we're with a tour that offers the gear.

John

Wow...a "dry style"...I want to look into this!

We bring our own too. We first bought snorkel equipment for DD who has very narrow feet and slipped out of rental fins. Then I got a prescription mask. What a difference that makes!

If you have ever seen their steralization process, you would never use rentals. A quick swish in the solution and out to dry. It is not enough time to kill the germs. Definately bring your own snorkel, if not everything.

We bring our own masks(mine is prescription) and snorkels. We bought Scuba Pro brand many years ago, and they have served us VERY well. Since fins are so bulky, we get(rent) those at the snorkeling site, or do without..........

We have our own snorkels, masks, fins and vests. We drag it all along. I love snorkeling, but I'm not a really strong swimmer and feel much better when wearing the vest. I think we'll be leaving the fins home next time....to bulky to take along. I might look into getting some swim fins. They are smaller and will be easier to pack.

We have our own snorkels, masks, fins and vests. We drag it all along. I love snorkeling, but I'm not a really strong swimmer and feel much better when wearing the vest. I think we'll be leaving the fins home next time....to bulky to take along. I might look into getting some swim fins. They are smaller and will be easier to pack.

We do too.

Actually we got the mask sets at Sams.

They're Body Glove and very nice.

I ordered the vests from Snorkle Mart.

I like the vest too. I don't have to worry about the other members of my family and I can just float about and relax while I watch the little fishies.

I can see why some people rent fins, but if you have small feet or narrow heels, you may do better with your own that actually fit. DD got nasty blisters from fins that were too big for her.

Like most everyone else, we bring our own, but one thing that hasn't been metioned is the vest. Some places require you to use their vest and they have to be blown up. We buy individual alcohol pads to wipe the mouth piece down with. You can get these in any drug store or of course Wal-Mart.

Archived