Hotels in Copenhagen

D&M

Has anyone got any good reccomendations? We have stayed at The Palace Hotel opposite Tivoli Gardens and are currnetly looking for a centrally located, good value hotel in Copenhagen.

Many thanks in advance.

We booked the Phoenix when it was offered as one of their daily specials - more than a year in advance. We got a great price - $720DKK (about $120 USD) including breakfast, all taxes and a bottle of champagne. We will be arriving on Sat. and I think the weekend rates are better. It's not by Tivoli - but is near Kongens Nytorv & Nyhavn. We leave tomorrow morning and will find out for ourselves, but have seen some good comments about the hotel.
Julie

Last month we stayed at the First Hotel Vesterbro. It's said to be a 4 star hotel, but it's really a 3 star, imho. That said, for the price we paid, $170 a night, inclusive of taxes and breakfast, it was a fair deal. They offer free internet access to guests also.

It's in a good location just a few blocks from Tivoli Gardens and the train station.

JAne

We stayed at the Phoenix and really enjoyed it. We had a comfortable room with a large bathroom. The service was very good. The breakfast buffet has a wide variety IMO. Also, there is a computer in their business center that you can use that has free internet access.

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed at the Square and really liked it. We were there August 9-10, and the weather was a bit warm so we were glad for the air conditioning. The hotel is decorated in a sleek modern Scandinavian style. Our room was quite small, but comfortable. My in-laws had a slightly larger room - they were happy with the room also. The room price includes a buffet breakfast - plenty of good stuff there including Danish pastries.

• 4 months later...
I was also looking at Cabin Inn for our 2 September 2005 sailing on the Star Princess pre-cruise for 2 or 3 nights. ;)
Did you ever find out anything about it? :confused:
It sounds like an interesting concept. I looked at their website. :rolleyes:
It is recommended in [I]Rick Steves' Scandinavia.[/I] :cool:

Hi Princess:

I never actually received any replies on Cruise Critic, but I did make a reservation. It seems as though it is one of the few places that is inexpensive, has the required amenities (ie bathrooms in the room) and is also in a great location. I also signed up for the breakfast.

We will be there in June. Ask me when I get back!

Jordan

• 2 weeks later...
Julie:
I see the daily specials -- but I am confused. Does it apply to a future date if booked when it is on a daily special? Does one have to request a quote by filling out the form? The price shown by clicking on the on-line is much higher.

Steve:
Is the Marriott well located? I saw a comment that it is far from Tivoli and other tourist places.

Thanks. /Sultan

[quote name='juliejoe']We booked the Phoenix at [url="http://www.arp-hansen.com"]www.arp-hansen.com[/url] when it was offered as one of their daily specials - more than a year in advance. We got a great price - $720DKK (about $120 USD) including breakfast, all taxes and a bottle of champagne. We will be arriving on Sat. and I think the weekend rates are better. It's not by Tivoli - but is near Kongens Nytorv & Nyhavn. We leave tomorrow morning and will find out for ourselves, but have seen some good comments about the hotel.
Julie[/QUOTE]

According the the concerge at the Marriott, the main train station, Kobenhavn H, is only a 5-8 min. walk away. There is train service from the airport to the main statin which only takes 13 minutes, and the train departs from the airport every 20 min. Tivoli is accross the street from the train station, so it too would be the same walking distance, 5-8 min. So no, it is not far from Tivoli at all. The SAS Royal Radisson hotel is considered to be in a good location, very close to Tivoli. The Marriott is about a 10 maybe 15 min. walk from the SAS Royal, and Tivoli would sit in the middle between the Marriott and SAS Royal. The Marriott is also about a 15 min. walk to the town square, aka, Radhuspladsen. From the town square is the beginning of the pedestrian shopping street, Stroget. So, I don't think the Marriott is out of the way at all, simply just not as close as compared to the the SAS Royal. I used to live in Copenhagen for a year, and I think it's a good location. In addition, Copenhagen is really a walking city. Despite the city's excellent train and bus services, it's best to walk to the majority of the city's tourist destinations to enjoy the flavor of Wonderful Copenhagen.

Also, the Copenhagen Marriott is along the channel, and serves as a stop for the hop on hop off water shuttle. According to the scheudle at this website, Nyhavn is only a 25 min. scenic boat ride away. The water bus stops at the hotel at 30 minutes after the hour.

The Marriott is also a newer hotel, I think built in 2002, and the rooms are larger. We'll be on the Star Princess for the July 24 cruise and needed a hotel for three nights, two nights before sailing, and one day after the cruise. We wanted to save money and preferred a room where all four of us in my group could share a room. Marriott was the only hotel with rooms large enough to accomodate us, thereby saving on the cost of an extra room. Plus, the rate according to the Marriott web site had the cheapest room rate at 1095 DKK which seemed to be the best rate of the 4 star Copenhagen hotels. For us, the Copenhagen Marriott was the best valued place to stay, and it does have a good location. I will admit that the SAS Royal would be my preference if the rooms there could accomodate 4 adults, and the room rates were the same. But not because of it's location, but because of the beautiful Danish design throughout the SAS Royal. However, the Copenhagen Marriott is also beautiful according the it's web site pictures, just doesn't have the Danish look to it, and is more American. Here is the Copenhagen Marriott web site The "photo tour" at this site gives some good pictures of the hotel.

We stayed at the Marriott for a post-cruise night after getting off the Grand last August. We loved it. The rooms are very comfortable. We had a room facing the canal with an almost floor to ceiling window which was spectacular. It is a 5 to 8 minute walk to Tivoli (and I am NOT a fast walker), which is my very favorite thing in Copenhagen. From the Marriott we took a cab to the airport but for the life of me, I can't remember what it cost. BTW, we found a "pre-pay" rate on the Marriott web-site that was very cheap. You pay now and it is no cancellation/no change but since we were sure we were going on the cruise, we weren't too worried.

Archived