Paradise embarkation question

katgilm

I read somewhere that we check in for the Paradise (cruise out of Long Beach) at the Queen Mary. Is that correct? Any other embarkation information I should know about for the Paradise? (I've read the Carnival website and searched this board already but couldn't really find anything.) I've cruised before so I am familiar with embarkation but not for this ship

Thanks,

Kathi

I read somewhere that we check in for the Paradise (cruise out of Long Beach) at the Queen Mary. Is that correct? Any other embarkation information I should know about for the Paradise? (I've read the Carnival website and searched this board already but couldn't really find anything.) I've cruised before so I am familiar with embarkation but not for this ship

Thanks,

Kathi

We just got back from the Paradise today. Arrived at noon on Friday, dropped bags (and tipped) the porters at curbside. Then parked the car at their garage ($12 day) and walked (2 minutes) from garage to the DOME. We did not early check in at the QM offices. Just stood in line leading directly into the DOME with passports, fun pass, S&S documents and some high end camera equip. Waited an easy 20 minutes and started in. We were on the ship and eating lunch by 1245. Easy embark.

They have finished the interior of the dome and are now much better organized.

We are taking the Paradise again on June 22. If you have more questions, let me know. Happy cruising.

Thanks,

Kathi

The short story:

Beginning 9:00-ish and ending 12:00-ish, Carnival operates check-in counters that are physically located on Queen Mary. Around noon, the agents decamp to the Dome.

At the Dome, three lines form: one for priority check-in, one for those who have completed early check-in on Queen Mary (Zone 1A) and one line for those who will need to stand in the check-in lines inside the Dome after they've completed the carry-on baggage check. As soon as the Dome is cleared of debarking passengers (around 12:30), they start letting the lines in.

The pros and cons of both ways have been hashed numerous times. Also covered have been the occasional post where someone reports that "someone" at Carnival told them that early check-in is not done anymore since Queen Mary was sold to the navy for target practice.:D There are also pictures of what the head of the Zone 1A line looks like and "Sheriff" Margarita.

I've sailed out of the port like 6 times or so...

Early check in 8-11am is located at the "back end" of the queen mary. It's real quik. Then after you hang around for some hours till around 12:30pm when they start letting people in the dome and thru security.

If you get there later like 1pm, there is no early check in, you head straight to the dome for security check, then there are counters in there for check in. Arriving later is better, no waiting around for hours.

• 6 months later...

I am very interested in touring the Queen Mary. When we get to the pier for my Feb. sailing on Paradise, I understand that we can check in early on or at the Queen Mary. My question is, can you still take the tour of the ship once you've checked in, or do you have to wait in a certain area.

You absolutely can tour the Queen Mary at your own leisure after early check-in there. We had such a good time the last time we explored that they had already let the early check-in line enter the dome when we finally went over there. No problem: we just showed them our stuff, and we got in line for the metal detectors. There were huge lines inside the dome, and we were glad that we got to walk right by them and on to the ship. Yay!

Archived