Walk to El Morro or San Cristobel from Princess Port?

backheidi

We have not signed up for an excursion for San Juan on our upcoming cruise because we would like to walk through Old San Juan and to one of the Forts. Are either of the Forts fairly easy to walk to from where our Princess Crown Ports in San Juan? Would it be too dangerous for a couple of 50ish Ladies to do? And/or are there readily cabs available at Port and the Forts?

Thank you for your help.

We are older than you, but we get a cab at the pier to take us to Morro Castle, which is at the top of Forteleza St.(uphill all the way on narrow sidewalks) visit Morro and then walk down Forteleza, which is the heart of Old San Juan, to the harbor, then depending on where your docked, either walk to the ship or take a cab. Works for us and as I recall cab fares are reasonable. Bill

I agree w/ okbowler. Start at the top and work you way down. Remember the forts close I think at 5:00. So pace yourself accordingly. Also, if you pay $5.00 you can keep your receipt and use it at the 2nd fort down the hill. Also, depending on how hot and humid the air is that day, you may want a cab to the 2nd one. I was w/ my mother in law and sister in law in April and it was pretty hot that day and we hoped a cab for a couple of bucks of pre-fort air conditioning.;)

We walked to the fort closest to the ship (I've forgotten which one that is), but it was definitely a steep climb. And when we got there, it was closed. Our ship did not dock in SJ until nearly 6 PM.

We have not signed up for an excursion for San Juan on our upcoming cruise because we would like to walk through Old San Juan and to one of the Forts. Are either of the Forts fairly easy to walk to from where our Princess Crown Ports in San Juan? Would it be too dangerous for a couple of 50ish Ladies to do? And/or are there readily cabs available at Port and the Forts?

Thank you for your help.

Yes you could walk to the forts but you can also take the FREE Trolly which will get you close to El Moro and passes right by the other fort. Walking is not dangerous as there are many people on the streets during the day. Be aware it can get very hot and humid in San Juan.

Richard

:confused: We have made 3 trips with stops in SJ and have never heard of the free trolley. Does it serve both cruise ports, how late does it run, is it on a schedule or is it just willy nilly, what stops does it make? Is there a web site that has info about trolley. Would love to use it as we are old old old. Thanks Bill

:confused: We have made 3 trips with stops in SJ and have never heard of the free trolley. Does it serve both cruise ports, how late does it run, is it on a schedule or is it just willy nilly, what stops does it make? Is there a web site that has info about trolley. Would love to use it as we are old old old. Thanks Bill

Bill,

Too funny.;)

I don't know about a website - but the maps do show it.

http://www.travelmaps.com/OldSanJuan.html

It's a green trolley that makes a loop through Olde Town. One of the stops is on the side street opposite Pier 4 which is where the Crown docked on our cruise.

1. A walk (downhill) is a great way to experience Old San Juan including either or both forts. You can spend a fair amount of time at Ft. Morro and appreciate its size and history. Your walk is also a great way to experience the flavor of the old city. We took a number of narrow side streets and found them miost interesting. You may even encounter booths selling some interesting wares (usually on the weekends).

2. The green free trolly passes its stops every 30" or so. When we rode there were local workers and tourists on it. It does drop you right at the fort entrance. It stops a block or so from Pier 4 so best ask any loocal and they'll tell you.

Enjoy.

San Cristobal is walkable from the port. However, it is a long walk and uphill. If you're up for it, you can do it, but it might be easier to take a cab. El Morro is further, and if you want to see that one, definitely take a cab.

Both castles are worth a visit, but El Morro is larger and more impressive.

http://www.nps.gov/saju/

If you do visit El Morro, don't miss The Butterfly People on the walk back. They have amazing displays:

http://www.butterflypeople.com/

If you are a coffee lover, Puerto Ricans brew some of the best in the world. On your return walk, you'll encounter a rather large plaza. The plaza kiosk has excellent Puerto Rican coffee. Stop, have a cup and watch Old San Juan go by.:)

We have three of the Butterfly Peoples works of art hanging in our living room. My dw is butterfly crazy and we look for local at all of our ports of call.Have never been to SJ without getting a new butterfly piece.:) Bill

Archived