Sunsets in Hawaii

maitlandcruisers

There’s so many, the list would be enormous. Almost any beach on the south or west shores. I enjoy ones that have palm trees and stand just off the beach watching through the trees.

It’s been a few years, but I believe it’s Germaine’s Luau that is on a beach with palm trees and a lighthouse, where we saw a spectacular sunset.

Many don’t realize that the sunrise can be just as beautiful in Hawaii. Can’t remember the name but the hotel just across the street from the Princess K and International Market Place and just to the east of Duke’s has a restaurant with a lanai on the beach. On several trips, my wife and I have had breakfast on that lanai, they open very early. The sunrise coming up over Diamond Head has been breath taking.

On an early morning flight from Oahu to the Big Island we were flying just above the clouds when the sun came up and turned all the clouds a bright red. It was just beautiful. Many sunrises on the ship while coming into ports and sunsets from the ship can be beautiful also.

In short, be up and out at sunrise and sunset and I don’t believe you will be disappointed as you will see several over a week or two that will be beautiful.

Just got back from Maui last week and every day from almost anywhere was a beautiful unique sunset. For picture taking my faves were usually the ones with palm trees and sunset in the background. We stayed on the west side of Maui and they were all great. One day I caught a double rainbow in with the sunset. That made for a pretty cool picture.

Enjoy- you'll be amazed at the beauty.

Retirednotexpired, I believe you are taking about the Moana Surfrider. When we left there the 5/26, they were just finishing the remodel of the veranda, so not sure if it's open yet. The restaurant was closed, but it is beautiful in the courtyard as well, you can get something from the poolside cafe. I periodically check the webcam to see if it's finished and if there are people on it.

Unfortunately we didn't have many pretty sunsets, maybe because of the change in the weather pattern: no trade winds, humid, hazy. But there are a few pictures in my ship review POH 5/14 on the NCL site

When a lot of people imagine a Hawaiian Sunset they envision the sun setting over the ocean. I'm writing the following with that in mind.

Just remember, in order to see the sun set over water you must be in a place where you can see the ocean horizon about 23 degrees or so NORTH of direct west. (okay technically a bit more because of spherical trig, but it's not a big difference in Hawaii). We're very close to the solstice, and the sun is as far north in mid-late June as it gets, about 23 degrees N of the celestial equator. What this means is: Maui: Anywhere on the West or "south" (i.e. Kihei/Wailea) will be good - except for those offshore islands that might be in the way from where you are. If you look for the green flash make sure the sun will be setting between the islands, over open ocean. Places like Napili or Kaanapali? The sun will set over Molokai, for example.

Kauai? A little tough. The lighthouse at Kilauea on the north shore - and, yes, there is a "Kilauea" in Kauai - would be great, as would any place along the north shore road where you can see the ocean farther down the road. Ke'e beach too. The south shore, around Poipu, would not, because from their the sun would set over an area a bit inland of Hanapepe. You'll have to go out to almost to Mana to see the sun set over ocean in June in Kauai.

Oahu? Just about anywhere west of Kane point on the Waianae side, and if you go to the north shore anywhere E of Haeiwa up to about Sunset Beach, plus W along the road all the way to the glider port. At Waikiki the sun will set over parts of the Waianae Mtns in late June.

The Big Island is easy - anywhere along the whole Kona side, just about, from the Mauna Kea resort, down past Kealakekua bay. I've seen awesome green flashes from Kona. (btw, the green flash is real, but it doesn't look anything like the Pirates of the Carib 3 flash. It's just that the last bit of sun as it sets can be a lovely spark of emerald green under the right circumstances.)

The above places are just to try your luck at seeing the sun set at the ocean horizon. (so okay, I like the green flash!) I've seen sunsets from places in Hawaii far from the sea and they're often still glorious.

Re sunrises - yes they can easily be the equal in terms of beauty to sunrises. A problem, though is that because the sun rises in the east (which is known as a "belaboring the obvious" statement), that means it's the windward side of the islands, so it's likely there will be far more clouds for the sunrise. That can make for great photo ops, though. I've seen great sunrises in which the clouds of cumulus far off shore glow gold and yellow for a long time. It's a magical time of day.

Of course, it's also very early, and you're on vacation...

Re sunrises - yes they can easily be the equal in terms of beauty to sunrises. A problem, though is that because the sun rises in the east (which is known as a "belaboring the obvious" statement), that means it's the windward side of the islands, so it's likely there will be far more clouds for the sunrise. That can make for great photo ops, though. I've seen great sunrises in which the clouds of cumulus far off shore glow gold and yellow for a long time. It's a magical time of day.

Of course, it's also very early, and you're on vacation...

:D

And I completely agree with your last sentence! (OTOH, there are all those east coasties who are up at 4 or 5 am because their bodies think it's mid-morning. Poor things.)

beachchick

Archived