A new cruiser who is a little overwelmed.

GucciGal

We will be on our first cruise ever in 3 weeks. We will be in Cozumel a few hours longer than the other ports. I want to go to a nice beach,go to Carlos and Charlies and shop,especially for tanzanite. Could someone give me an idea of where to go and how to get there? By all the great comments on here,I would like to go to Paradise Beach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where can you buy tanzanite in Cozumel? I may be interested in that too!August 26th, 2004 03:24 PM

You can find it in almost every jewely store... I would start at the shops in Punta Langosta, where Carlos and Charlies is located and then just walk North towards downtown and you will pass 4 or more blocks with a bunch of stores offering Tanzanite....check out what they have and the prices and then do your bargaining on the way back to the Pier.

Make sure you get a certificate of authenticity and a guarantee in writing. Some of the smaller stores on the waterfront have tanzanite that "isn't". With tanzanite I would stick with the stores your ship recommends, so that you have a recourse if there's a problem. I usually don't make this recommendation, but last year I stepped in to help a Cruise Critic who had been sold fake tanzanite. Since it was a smaller store, it took some doing to get them to replace the stones. The best thing you can do is spend some time on research and know your stones and prices before you arrive.

We bought a beautiful-certified piece of tanzanite on our last trip here. They put it in the setting I wanted as well and price was very reasonable. We checked out all the shops and went bact to the first we saw. I will hunt up the receipt and post the name when I find the receipt.

Archived