Upper bed with 3yr old - will it work?

jinkies4

Sailing on Pride of Aloha on 8-5 (yes, have read about the air conditioning issue). This is our first cruise and first time to Hawaii.

My DH and I are sharing a outside cabin on the Viking deck with our 3 yr old and 7 yr old (can't remember the room # something like 8063??). Our TA says two beds are down and two are up. My 7yr old DS is thrilled to be up but I am concerned about my 3yr old DD. Do the beds have a rail so she won't fall out of bed? She still falls out of her twin bed occasionally. Do I need to consider other options - DH or I sleep up, inflatable bed, rollaway, etc...?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! If I have posted on the wrong board, please let me know!:)

Chelle

I would advice both your 7yr old and 3yr old to use the lower berths.

I'm not sure about NCL, but a large ferry company here in Scandinavia have posted in their cabins that children are advised not to use the upper bed.

On the other hand - I can certainly understand you 7 yr old's excitement over the upper bed. I was like that myself and during overnight stays in ships and other places I always called for the upper bed. And amazingly I 'm still alive

The upper bed on our Star cruise had bedrails built in, but I don't know if the Aloha has the same style of beds. (I have a picture one opened up in my sig line photo link).

I sure hope they have the air problem fixed- planning on bringing a fan just in case!

If they don't have a bed rail, you could always buy one a baby's r us or toys r us. They are inexpensive and I use one for my two year old on a regular bed when we go away.:)

The top berths actually have a warning posted on them not to let children sleep on them. They do have a trundle bed that pops up from under one of the bottom beds. So, three people sleep across the bottom and one can sleep in the upper berth. That was how we slept 4 people on the Dawn. VERY crowded!! There was a rail in our top berth but my parents did not have one in theirs in another cabin. I think they knew we had 2 kids so they put one in our room. My son slept on the upper bunk. He is 10. My daughter is a rough sleeper so, she slept on the bottom. When the ship hits bad weather, the boat does rock pretty good, so keep that in mind.

Not sure about your ship, but the Dawn has a sign posted children should not sleep on the upper bunk. I slept in the upper and my two sons and husband slept three across down below! It worked out well for us

I know that on the Majesty, the upper bunks actually had (for lack of a better term) seat belts AND a railing. My husband slept on one upper bunk and my daughter in the other - our son was too afraid to sleep in the upper bunk. :p

Archived