question about snorkeling and the like...

snoo monkey

Okay, so I'm really... weird. While I know most of the how-to's of swimming, once I get into the water and know that my feet can no longer reach the bottom and I freeze up and sink like a rock. Every single time I try and get past it, nope, my mind just says "nope!!"

Now, my boyfriend on the otherhand, swims like a fish and LOVES being able to see everything in the crystal clear water. Because of my weirdness, my bf missed out on snorkeling/ scuba / whatever, the last time we were in the Caribbean, and I felt horrible.

My question is, does anyone know if you sign up for one of the water excursions, would they be able to give me a life jacket so I can float around in the water, while the boy goes and does his thing?

Look into a snorkeling lesson at a local dive shop or pool. That way you could get used to it in a pool where you could touch the bottom. If you book a non-cruise line excursion, you will have a smaller group and the guides can help you if you need it. Do try it, you'll see some incredible things.:)

Most snorkeling excursions will have their own people in the water, incase there's any trouble. Now if you can't get past your fear, you can always stay on the catamaran, or boat while he goes in the water. DW has a fear of deep water and it was her idea to go snorkeling on our 1st cruise. Once she was in the water she was a bit scared, then the fish started showing up and she was fine.

I hate not being able to touch the bottom as well, i can swim but am not a strong swimmer, so I always ask for a life vest when I snorkel and I love it. remember lots of sun block on your backside as when you have a lifevest it makes you bob on the top of the water. :D

wow, this almost could've been written by me! i freak out in the water too. after my first snorkeling trip when i couldn't make myself go further out than where i could touch, i got my own snorkeling equipment. including an inflatable vest. now *i* am the one who encourages everyone else to hop in and helps out people who get freaked. heehee i know the vest will keep me afloat, the snorkel lets me breathe, the mask lets me see, and the fins help me get around. it's excellent!

Not touching the bottom doesn't bother me but I feel like I can not breath with the snorkeling equipment on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get over this issue?

OH, me too. I am claustrophobic in a mask, BUT I am also scared of the water. I figure, mind over fear. LOL I hope it works in a week. :rolleyes:

the vest will keep you afloat!! and on all snorkeling excursions it is mandatory that you wear one,, you can inflate it as much or as little as you need.. and no need to fear that you are obligated to stay in the water the entire time.. you can do as much or as little as you want and relax on the boat..I think once you try it you will be hooked!!.. have fun!!

there are some areas where you can snorkel from shore but I think its much easier entering the water with fins on by just rolling in from the boat...

If you are anxious, pool practice with the float vest AND mask and snorkel is a very good idea.

I second the idea of going on a smaller excursion so that you get more attention from the staff than you would if 30-40 people are all in the water at once.

There are snorkels with backflow prevention -- guaranteed dry -- might want to check that out (both posters with fears) because a mouthful of salt water can freak out even strong swimmers.

You could go on a trip and just enjoy the sail if despite practice and a float vest you still can't get over the fear of being in water that is deeper than you can touch.

You and your beau could also check out places where snorkeling is good from shore. There are lots of places where you can see some nice things even in shallow water - still use a float vest so if you find you were busy watching fish and actually floated into slightly deeper water, you won't freak out (hopefully) and even if you do feel panicky, you're not going under!

You can build up experience and hopefully over time, gain confidence that will allow you to snorkel in deeper water.

Same goes for that claustrophobic feeling with mask and snorkel .... nothing beats putting in some time in a "safe" feeling place like the local pool to build up the experience that tells your brain ... been there, done that, nothing to get excited about (well except the prospect of cool fishies)!

Good luck!

Archived