Need help with Alaskan B-day present advise

Cruisn4jewels

Help!! My daughters best friend is having her 12th birthday the week after we get back from Alaska and I promised her mom we'd find her something cool in Alaska.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a brainy 12 yr old who's into rocks and nature as well as the usual girly tween things? I imagine there'd be some beautiful Native artwork and I'm looking for something a little more original than a stuffed moose. :eek: To complicate matters, this really cool Alaskan gift needs to be able to fit into my suitcase - we have a VERY long flight home.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!!

Check out the Glacier Smoothie store in Juneau - tiny little shack right on the dock. They make really nice soap made with glacier silt, and also have other products like lotion and lip gloss.

Go on line to www.juneauartistsgallery.com and look at the great "Made in Alaska" things. Some really fine artists represented. Also, our kids and teens loved the "DEL SOL" shop (in all the cities) that sells the tees and other clothing items that turn colors in the sun. They have some great Alaska scenes on the tees. Also, they sell fingernail polish that turns colors in the sun, as well. Now, Del Sol is not Made in Alaska stuff.....but the kids love it. You can go on line and find all the exact locations. Also, you can find really nice scrapebooks or photo albums that have "Alaska" on the cover. You could even take a picture of your daughter standing in a great photo spot (like at the glaciers) or with mountains in the background, etc., maybe holding up a little sign that says "Happy Birthday _______", and have the picture on the first page of the photo album. :D gg

Since I travel alot, and shopping is one of my loves, I have found several things that pack well. One, of course, is jewelry - and I understand you can find interesting things in Alaska (we're going to August). Two - textiles of any kind. I would be willing to bet that you can find a cool jacket (I wouldn't do tshirts - not for a birthday gift), or maybe neat leather shoes - get all her sizes so you can find something fun. Third - artwork is always good for me - if I buy a painting, I have them take it off the frame and roll it - fits really well in suitcase, and a photo will fit fine flat (I would not buy the frame there - that can get tougher to deal with). I think you'll have a ton of neat options - and I would suggest getting her something you're only going to be able to find in Alaska....:D

There are several neat made in Alaska items that I'm sure she'll love. My mother went to Alaska several years ago (I was 17 at the time), and one of the things that she brought back for me was a pair of slippers that I still have because I love them that much. They are made from several different types of leathers and furs, and the toe of the slipper was hand beaded. They are incredibly warm and so soft...they've held up over the years (I'm ahem...35 now), and I can't tell you how wonderful they've held up. They are the slippers/mocassins I grab when it's really cold out, at least cold for the SF Bay Area. I'm sure you will find a ton of neat stuff that your daughter will love. We're leaving for Alaska on 6/29 and while I've done a ton of research on the areas and cruising I haven't done much on the shopping because I'm someone who likes to walk into a store I know nothing about and find things that are interesting. I know that Alaska is known for their gold, how about a really nice charm to wear on a necklace? Does she have a charm bracelet, maybe you can get one for her there or a pair of earings. I know you'll find something that she'll love, and you'll know it as soon as you see it. My little man has requested I bring him a ship replica, luckily I found out that they sell them in the gift shop on the ship. His birthday is a couple of weeks after we return, so he may end up getting a few things from Alaska for his birthday as well. Have a great trip!

I appreciate it so much! I love love love to shop but with limited time in each port and in between ziplining, dogsledding and panning for gold, I wanted to have an idea of what I should look for ahead of time. The lotions and soaps sound great and really unique. My daughter will love the idea of pictures of her with a Happy B-day sign, jewelry is always an excellent option (that and shoes are my favorite items to shop for!) and speaking of shoes, I think I want the slippers for myself too! I love the artwork idea as well - I might pick some of that up for myself!

I need more money! :eek:

Archived