First time for RCCL...Have lots of questions!!

My wife and I are taking our first cruise on RCCL next May (Serenade of The Seas). We have cruised five times before on NCL and Carnival. We really like the Free Style dining options that NCL offers but we are wondering just what cruising on RCCL is all about? I have read that the room service menus for dinner change every night. Is this true? How good is the food in the Windjammer and Seaview Cafes if we choice to skip dinner one night? What is the one or two things about RCCL that keep you coming back? What are the secrets of the Radiance Class Ships that we need to know?

I know there are a lot of questions since we have cruised before. Just can't wait to get back to Alaska for 14 days.

Thanks

Tom

The Radiance is beautiful - saw her from across the way when we were both docked in Skagway last year. To answer a general RCI question, you are able to order each evening's specific dining room dinner menu via room service plus the usual selections.

I am sure you'll be hearing lots of Radiance specifics from her fan club.

Welcome to RCI.

What keeps us coming back is the wonderful service, the beautiful ships and the wonderful staff. The combination which we didn't find on the other lines we have been on.

I am going on the Serenade in August but I have been on her sister ship the Brilliance and it was fantastic. Make sure you go to quest (sorry can't give you the details as that would ruin the surprise), play pool on the self leveling pool tables. And enjoy all the beautiful views that are available on this ship.

I have never ordered room service for dinner but have seen on the boards where it does have some of the same meals from the dining room each night. Not the entire menu though. The Windjammer is a buffet and is fine for a night or two. The Seaview cafe is hamburgers, pizza and that sort of stuff. Don't worry you will not lack for choices or go hungry.

Having sailed on Carnival once (Inspiration) and RCCL once (Rhapsody), one of the main reasons we picked RCCL for our January cruise (Mariner) is RCCL's attention to their own smoking policy. On our Carnival cruise, while they had a printed smoking policy which was buried deep in the ticket/itinerary book, no one on board enforced it and there was no signs, stickers, etc. on board that addressed it. I wished I had a dollar for every time my wife and I stood on what was supposed to be a non-smoking deck, only to have some clown walk up and light up. Every night of the cruise we ended up having to shower because we smelled like a bar - only problem is that we weren't in the bars. RCCL makes it very clear on board of where you can smoke and where you can't. That way, if some one wants to smoke, go enjoy your smoke on one of the smoking-permitted decks, but as for me and the better half, we'll be on the other side of the ship enjoying smoke-free air on a marked non-smoking deck.

TomAndJane, hi again! Looking forward to meeting you next year, but since we just sailed the Serenade last month, maybe I can answer some of your questions.

Yes, you can order room service from the dining room menu each night. Also, compared to the other lines you have sailed, the breakfast room service menu is more extensive, with hot omelets and sides.

The Windjammer is very good for dinner. It will serve a lot of the same items as the dining room and the atmosphere is very subdued and relaxing. The Seaview Cafe is a delight and not to be missed. It has a separate menu which includes hamburgers, salads, fish and chips, chicken wings, and several really good sandwiches, such as Reubans, tuna melts, and I think maybe Cuban sandwiches. They also have a couple of desserts too.

The secret of the Radiance class ships (and we have been on 3 of them) is that they are just drop dead beautiful. The Solarium is a wonderful adults only area, except in bad weather. Then it is open to families, but for limited periods. There is also the Solarium Cafe, which serves crepes and wraps.

I have sailed on RCCL, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and NCL. We keep returning to RCCL because of the perks for repeaters and because it feels like "home". It's just a good fit for us.

Hope this helps.

Carol

ps. Forgot to include the outstanding service that Sue L mentioned. We have not found service like this, even on Cunard. Celebrity was very, very close.

I have only sailed once, and it was on JOS. It was love at first sail I guess. I couldn't imagine sailing on anything less than a RCCL standards. The staff was wonderful, helpful and overall happy. They remembered who we were and why we were sailing (A surprise family cruise) and they weren't even our "regular" people....just random employees that cared to ask us. The food was delicious. I am a very picky eater, and there was something for me at all times.

As far as dining schedules go, I didn't mind. Room service was fairly fast, and good. Windjammer was always great with a huge variety. The only thing we didn't try was any little stops for food (sea view cafe).

We have been on the Radiance and Serenade and loved them both. Like all Royal ships, they are gorgeous, but have a "smaller" feel since not has big as the Voyager Class. Food is great and the staff is wonderful. We have been on Princess also, the the staff on Princess is just not has jolly as Royal. Pool deck - waiters walk around with the "drink of the day" sometimes on the head, dancing, just acting up for the guests. Animal towels in your room at night. Good entertainment - Quest - is a must!! Just overall love the experience on Royal so much better. And now that we are close to Diamond, the perks get even better.

You will love the Radiance class. Outside of loving the Promenade on Voyager and Freedom class ships, the Radiance class is our favorite.

Have fun.+

Thanks to all that responded. I guess we will have to figure out what "Quest" is and either go there or participate...hahahahahaha Once again thanks and we are really looking forward to cruising with RCCL.

I agree with Karena1. The service is great and they genuinely seem to love their jobs! They are just so happy..... it makes me happy to be there. On other ships we have been on, the service has also been good but they don't seem as jolly!

Have a great cruise,

Rabbitlady:)

We believe RCI gives us a great value for our traveling dollar. We could pay more and get something more upscale in some ways. But, we like the amenities and the beauty of the ships. We think RCI has done a great job of renewing its fleet, both with new ships and refurbished ones. They're making a lot of money, but they're plowing a lot of it back in, too. We're hooked.

We took our very first cruise just last year and took Serenade of the Ses to Alaska. After sailing with RCCL........ I can't imagine wanting to even try any other line........... however who knows what the future may hold. Serenade is an absolutly beautiful ship! The service that we had was outstanding. You definately should not miss the "Quest", all I can tell you about it is this........... our sides were hurting from laughing so hard!

You will truely enjoy this ship.

Jane

We took our very first cruise just last year and took Serenade of the Ses to Alaska. After sailing with RCCL........ I can't imagine wanting to even try any other line........... however who knows what the future may hold. Serenade is an absolutly beautiful ship! The service that we had was outstanding. You definately should not miss the "Quest", all I can tell you about it is this........... our sides were hurting from laughing so hard!

You will truely enjoy this ship.

Jane

Well that does it. I may have to pay someone to tell me what Quest is all about...hahahahaha It does sound like we made the right choice for our cruise to Alaska. As mentioned we have sailed NCL and Carnival and we thought the service on those ships was nice but we are easy to please. We are on vacation....hahahaha

We have a cruise to Canada/New England in September on another cruise line but I am more excited about this one now!!!! Thanks again!!!!!

Tom

Archived