what to do in Pichilingue/La Paz,Topolobampo, Loreto

melika091900

we are thinking of booking a 10 day mexico sea of cortez cruise this winter, and im wondering about these ports weve never been to ,

I checked on the cruiseline website, and theres only about 5 shore excursions offered in each of these ports,

anyone that has been is there any not to miss places for these ports ?

any good calm beaches ?

Topolobampo

Pichilingue/La Paz

Loreto

any good places for kids activities???

any info id appreciate

thank you

Melissa

The Mexican Government is attempting to expand the number of cruise ship destinations on its western coast. The ports you have listed are pretty new and I doubt you will get very much of a response to your question here.

I believe Holland is the only line that stops at these ports and I'm not sure if they did sail this route much before this season.

Expect them to be very rustic at this point with very little in place to support the arrival of several thousand people when a ship pulls in.

Independent research on the internet will likely get you more information on these port cities than you will get here.

Have you asked you question on the HAL board?

Enjoy!

we are thinking of booking a 10 day mexico sea of cortez cruise this winter, and im wondering about these ports weve never been to ,

I checked on the cruiseline website, and theres only about 5 shore excursions offered in each of these ports,

anyone that has been is there any not to miss places for these ports ?

any good calm beaches ?

Topolobampo

Pichilingue/La Paz

Loreto

any good places for kids activities???

any info id appreciate

thank you

Melissa

We are also on this same itinerary for the Oct 11th sailing. I am curious too about the ports. I googled the different places but there isn't much information on them. In fact I couldn't locate any posts from Cruisers other than yourself.

I have been to La Paz on Crystal over the Holidays. It is a charming and real city, not like its more famous neighbor, Cabo, to the south. It is the commercial and governmental center for Baja Sud. There are some very nice beaches, but they are north of town. The shopping is low keyed, but very nice. The port itself is 12 miles north of the city. The area around La Paz is very undeveloped. I liked the port a lot, my second favorite after Zihuatanejo, but I like to feel as if I'm in a foriegn country when I'm abroad.

Check out the Port of Call listings on this site for more information.

We were on the April 12th Mexican Riviera sailing on the Ryndam. You could check out my review for some information on the ports. See Reviews under Holland America. We really enjoyed the ship and most of the ports.

One additional note. We should have done the tour called something like "Bay and Island tour" in Topolobampo. Fellow cruisers saw lots of dolphins and really enjoyed the tour.

Ellen

Loreto is a very small but NICE town... have driven to there to go fishing before.. I dont know what types of excursions will be offered... but I will tell you this... if you can get the chance... have a panga take you out to Isla Carmen and spend the day on one of the beaches on the island. They are INCREDIBLE!!! The water is crystal clear and warm.

Also, fishing in the winter time in Loreto is unreal for yellowtail... a hefty 30 pound yellowtail will put a hurting on your arms.

We were on the April 12th Mexican Riviera sailing on the Ryndam. You could check out my review for some information on the ports. See Reviews under Holland America. We really enjoyed the ship and most of the ports.

One additional note. We should have done the tour called something like "Bay and Island tour" in Topolobampo. Fellow cruisers saw lots of dolphins and really enjoyed the tour.

Ellen

I cant find your review ....

canyou send me the link ? or post it on here i mean ??

thanks

Melissa

Archived