I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I like Nicholas Sparks books, he wrote Message in a Bottle and The Notebook. There is a movie being filmed now from one of his books with Richard Gere and Diane Lane called Nights in Rodanthe. I just finished reading The Guardian and it has some romance some thriller. They would be a nice read on a cruise, I am going to find another one for my cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
A book I've recomended to many is Outlander by Diana Gabladon. It's in the romance section but not the typical trashy romance novel. More of a historical love story. There are 5 in the seris but the first is by far the best!

Have a great cruise!

Marion:)

I was just thinking of recommending Diana Gabaldon's series, starting with "Outlander," when I saw this posting. The only danger is, once you start reading it, you won't want to put it down, and you may miss lots of shipboard activities. I just finished the 7th book in the series, and when I finish one of the books in the series, I feel like I have moved away from people I have come to know and love. Can't go wrong with this series. Popular with women and men!

I had the please of hearing Diana Gabaldon speak on one of her book tours. She is so gracious and just a lovely woman. By the way, her latest book in the Lord John series is just coming out.

There, you have two recommendations for the same author! Best take it!!

What better than to read "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffet??!! I thought it was great!

Have fun!

Have you read A Pirate Looks at 50? A fun look into the life of Buffett, if you are a fan. Though I vote for Evanovich for fun, also JD Robb's Eve Dallas books (Nora Roberts AKA).

• 2 weeks later...

I like non-fiction too. "Into Thin Air", "Seabiscuit", "The Great Influenza", "Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded", and "The Demon Under the Microscope" were all can't-put-it-down's for me.

When it comes to onboard fiction, I prefer it on the frothy side. Any of the Jeeves books (P.G.Wodehouse) would make wonderful cruise reading, as would Jane Austen's lightest book "Emma" (well, for us women anyway -- I never met a man who liked Austen).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has suggested Donna Leon's mystery novels. They are all set in Venice and some even come with maps of the city. Her detective is Guido Brunetti and after a couple of the books you begin to become very attached to his wife, Paola and their two teenagers. The people Brunetti works with are wonderful characters as well.

Has anyone read Atonement by Ian McEwen? The movie is coming out soon and is already getting raves. I would also like to suggest "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" about a young white girl growing up in Africa.

I have to make myself stop now because I can easily think of about 100 other titles. Lily

Does anyone know how the librarys on the ship are? Do they offer a good selection & is there a fee to borrow?

Would be better to borrow theirs than pack if they have a nice selection.

I always bring a book with me so I have something to read on the flights.Now my DD has picked up on my crossword puzzles so I will have to *hide* to do some reading :D

My favorite books I have read in the past two years are: Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Also I have read all of Nelson DeMille's books over the past several years and have loved all of them.

I'm starting to get interested in audio books because I figure they'll be very easy to carry around with me. I have a few questions, though.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for either really good audio books and/or really good narrators?

Also, those of you who DO listen to audio books, do you have particular mp3 player that you find easy to work with? I'm especially interested in getting a good player with a bookmark feature so I can find my place easily when I want to go from one book to another or from a book to music and back to the book. Any suggestions?

As far as books, my main interests are women's fiction, contemporary, cozy mysteries, and romantic comedy.

Whew! I'm sorry to ask soooo many questions at once, but I'm trying to figure this whole thing out since it's all new to me (listening to recorded books, that is).

Thank you!!!

Lynn

I am starting my Jane Austen reads. I am beginning with Persuasion since I know the plots to Sense&Sensibility and Pride&Prejudice well.

I was thinking about those, too. I haven't read anything other than P&P, so that will be fun.

Lynn