I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Anything really good you've read recently ... or not even recently?

The last six books I read were all of Alisa Allan's books.:D

And I'd recommend every single one, all of them different and I love how hers would seem predictable as most of those books can be, and yet with every one I questioned exactly HOW it was going to end and they ended up being so unpredictable. I think you said you read them all, didn't you?:confused:

I have my pile of books, I have a list of books but the clock seems to move faster and faster every day and I'm just trying to find the time to get to them. I think I'm also procrastinating and just waiting for Alisa's new one, I read a hint of it on her website but no date or info. If you read all of hers it will be somewhat a continuation of Jack and Jenna's story from One Last Time. They weren't a featured couple in the story, kinda came in at the end of it, but as soon as I finished that book I wanted to know what would become of them!:p

• 2 months later...

A looooooong time ago I posted a thread about Alisa Allan (the year her books first all came out). Everyone here is late late late!!

I like her as well. Easy to read, entertaining, feel good novels. I haven't read them since they first came out, and I read them all in a row. I want to re-read them again, but am dreading it because I can't cruise until next year and the books will make me want to be on the water.

Anyway- I recommend as well. I've read them all, and they're great. Buy them from the website though. I was the idiot who bought them all from Barnes & Noble for $12 apiece or something- when I should have gotten them 2/$20 and autographed from the website.

Here are a few books I've enjoyed recently:

A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (only in hard cover at the moment, but will be out in paperback in July). An enjoyable, character-driven thriller/mystery.

Hell's Belles by Jackie Kessler. Funny, smart urban fantasy about a demon who escapes from Hell and hides out as a stripper in NYC.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The characters are a bit thinly drawn, but the description of life in a Depression-era circus is enthralling. I think it just came out in paperback.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't read a whole lot of fiction, but this is an supremely intelligent, well-plotted mystery set in 1940's San Francisco and Oakland. Unlike most mysteries (most of which are woefully amateurish), you won't see the plot twists come a mile away or be burdened with stock dialogue or characters.

Very highly recommended!!

• 1 month later...

And for those who want some really light funny reading, check out anything by Sandra Hill...she is a hoot!:D The only problem is that I find myself laughing out loud when I am at the beach or wherever I might be reading one of her books.:o

And for those who want some really light funny reading' date=' check out anything by Sandra Hill...she is a hoot!:D The only problem is that I find myself laughing out loud when I am at the beach or wherever I might be reading one of her books.:o[/quote']

I just bought Pink Jinx and Pearl Jinx yesterday but haven't started them yet.

Have you read the Cajun series by her?

I just bought Pink Jinx and Pearl Jinx yesterday but haven't started them yet.

Have you read the Cajun series by her?

Yes, I have read them, and still reading on the last one. I also went yesterday and bought the "Pink" series. Wanted them for our upcoming "train trip" to NYC. I emailed Sandra Hill this morning, asking her if there was ever going to be a sequel to the Cajun Historical Series. Out of all of her books that I have read, my two favorite are "Frankly My Dear" and "Sweeter Savage Love":o :rolleyes: ;)

Yes' date=' I have read them, and still reading on the last one. I also went yesterday and bought the "Pink" series. Wanted them for our upcoming "train trip" to NYC. I emailed Sandra Hill this morning, asking her if there was ever going to be a sequel to the Cajun Historical Series. Out of all of her books that I have read, my two favorite are "Frankly My Dear" and "Sweeter Savage Love":o :rolleyes: ;)[/quote']

I'll have to check out the ones you've recommended.

Did you see the novella, Jinx Xmas, on Sandra's web site? I printed it out, and you might want to do the same for when you're reading the Jinx books. How nice of her to put that on there!!!

I'll have to check out the ones you've recommended.

Did you see the novella, Jinx Xmas, on Sandra's web site? I printed it out, and you might want to do the same for when you're reading the Jinx books. How nice of her to put that on there!!!

I saw that, but did not print it, I will have to go back and do that in a few minutes. As far at the two books that I recommended, I love anything to do with the Old South, and these time travel books (though silly :D ) are just kind of romantic. I always said I would have picked that time to live in, so that I could wear the big old hoop skirts!;) Thanks. SL

I don't consider myself a senior citizen, but I'm way past the 'twenty year old skinny somethings who are all wealthy' books. Give me a little more plot and substance.:)

I cracked up the first time I saw on the news that Paris Hilton came out with an autobiography... what could the kid have possibly written in it when she's a kid!:eek:

I can't believe anyone would purchase it. But since people are buying her used dog food cans and used toothbrushes--it will probably be a best seller

• 2 weeks later...
One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

ANYTHING by Janet Evanovich. She is super funny and her stories are zany, wacky and unputdownable --- is there such a word?

If you have time go to Ebay, that's where I buy mine. They are used, but hey so what? They are used after I'm done and they can be passed on to friends and/or left in the ship's library for others.

Although on second thought, if War and Peace is your usual type of reading material (yes I HAVE read it, this is NOT a put down!) you may not like Evanovich, ha!

frugalreader.com and titletrader.com for a great way to get books for just the cost of media mail postage.

I am "zydeco" at paperbackswap, "BookishAngel" at frugalreader and "BookishAngel1" at titletrader; if you join any of these sites I'd love to be listed as the person who referred you!

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth Buchan--- The Good Wife Strikes Back and Wives Behaving Badly. Two titles that continue a story. Light reading. She has a few more titles as well but I'm sorry to say I have not found time to read them but may take them with me in a few weeks.

Enjoy.:D

What, no Harry Potter fans? J.K.'s books are amazing. I plan on reading The Deathly Hallows for the second time on the cruise.

I just love Janet Evanovich! I am constantly laughing. I have to admit, I listen to the books on tape on my way to and from work. I actually makes you happy to drive.

I love reading too, I also enjoy a lot of the books listed. We have a book club of 8 girls and have discovered an author that we are enjoying a lot. Kris Radish is her name. Several of her books are about friends and life. Very easy and fast reads. I've read 4 of her books so far.