I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I can highly recommend James Pattersons' Alex Cross murder mysteries -you'll find you just can't put them down.

Other books you can't put down are all from Dan Brown - just finished Deception Point - that's a pretty thick novel which should last you...lol

I haven't read the entire post, but the series I've gotten into is the Stephanie Plum "Numbers" series by Janet Evanovich. I started with "One for the Money" around the 4th of July last year and I finished reading all 14 books in the series within 2 weeks! These are easy reads and the antics of Stephanie Plum and Grandma Masur will have you laughing so hard you will cry. People around the pool may look at you funny, but it is so entirely worth it. I'm counting down the days until book 15 comes out on June 26th. I'll have it read long before our April cruise, but I can't wait for it to come out in paperback!

I haven't read the entire post, but the series I've gotten into is the Stephanie Plum "Numbers" series by Janet Evanovich. I started with "One for the Money" around the 4th of July last year and I finished reading all 14 books in the series within 2 weeks! These are easy reads and the antics of Stephanie Plum and Grandma Masur will have you laughing so hard you will cry. People around the pool may look at you funny, but it is so entirely worth it. I'm counting down the days until book 15 comes out on June 26th. I'll have it read long before our April cruise, but I can't wait for it to come out in paperback!

One of my favorite series. Question: Joe or Ranger? ;)

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I love reading Michener or Rutherford about a place to which I'm traveling. Both write amazing historical fiction that really gives you a feel for a place and its history. For example, we read Michener's Hawaii and Alaska before and during our cruises there, respectively. While they don't cover every destination, now that I've found that Michener's only novel set in French Polynesia really isn't about the history of the place, I've decided that I might just decide to pick one of his historical pieces at random on our next cruise.

I can't choose, can I just alternate weeks; 1 with Joe and 1 with Ranger? :D

This could be doable!!! Although with their libidos you may want to build in a week of rest - 1 week of Joe, 1 week with Ranger and 1 week of rest! :D:D

I can't choose, can I just alternate weeks; 1 with Joe and 1 with Ranger? :D

LOL Another Stephanie Plum fan here. I think this is the best answer and seems to me that is what Stephanie thinks too! :) Grandma Mazur is the best character ever! LOL I know what you mean about laughing at the pool.

Just FYI....Evanovich also writes books "between the numbers" of the Stephanie Plum series...Plum Lovin, Plum Spooky, Plum Lucky are a few of the titles.

I also enjoy reading Jennifer Weiner's books....Good in Bed, In Her Shoes (made into a move), Little Earthquakes, and right now I'm reading Certain Girls.

You might also check out Carl Hiaasen. He has a similar style of writing and I enjoy his books. I especially liked Skinny Dip.

LOL Another Stephanie Plum fan here. I think this is the best answer and seems to me that is what Stephanie thinks too! :) Grandma Mazur is the best character ever! LOL I know what you mean about laughing at the pool.

Just FYI....Evanovich also writes books "between the numbers" of the Stephanie Plum series...Plum Lovin, Plum Spooky, Plum Lucky are a few of the titles.

I also enjoy reading Jennifer Weiner's books....Good in Bed, In Her Shoes (made into a move), Little Earthquakes, and right now I'm reading Certain Girls.

You might also check out Carl Hiaasen. He has a similar style of writing and I enjoy his books. I especially liked Skinny Dip.

between the numbers books. They just don't have the same feel as the numbers series - I guess because no Joe and Ranger! I have read In Her Shoes and that was good. Guess I could try the others. I have read a couple of Carl Hiaasen's books and I have liked those. Still nothing compares to Grandma Mazur!! :D:D I can't even imagine who would play her if a Stephanie Plum movie were ever made! I do know that I would have to wear Depends to see that movie though - and I'm only 46!!!:eek::D

between the numbers books. They just don't have the same feel as the numbers series - I guess because no Joe and Ranger! I have read In Her Shoes and that was good. Guess I could try the others. I have read a couple of Carl Hiaasen's books and I have liked those. Still nothing compares to Grandma Mazur!! :D:D I can't even imagine who would play her if a Stephanie Plum movie were ever made! I do know that I would have to wear Depends to see that movie though - and I'm only 46!!!:eek::D

Personally, I hope they never make this series into a movie, TV or otherwise. I think it would just ruin it for me. Same goes for the Sue Graffton ABC series.

I love Carl Hiaasen's books. I just ordered a book by Bob Morris who is supposed to write along the same lines. I'll let you know.

Edited by SFParrtHd

Hello:

I read Paul Levine's Solomon vs. Lord recently and loved it. It would be the perfect cruise book because it is easy to read, entertaining, witty, etc. Solomon is a male attorney; Lord a female. They begin the book as adversaries, but Lord gets fired for being held in contempt, egged on by Solomon, of course. They end up taking a case together as a "one time thing." There are a cast of funny characters such as Solomon's nephew whom he rescued from his hippy sister, Lord's vegan avacado farmer fiance, etc. Completely entertaining. I plan to bring the second in the series, "Deep Blue Alibi" on our cruise next month.

Thanks for the recommendation of Solomon vs Lord, like getting in on the 1st of a series.

Am currently reading JD Robb's (aka Nora Roberts) Salvation in Death. I love this series and have read several on cruises.

Currently, I can't get enough Victoria Laurie (paranormal mysteries).

Have you read/do you like Charlaine Harris's two paranormal mystery series--Southern Vampire Mysteries and Harper Connelly Mysteries? They're among my favorite of that subgenre.

Denise Swanson

author of the Scumble River Mystery Series

Edited by IllinoisAuthor

The Tea rose and The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly are both excellent and hard to put down,also the historical fiction books by Philippa Gregory.I've read 4 of them so far this year.

Just got The Tea Rose on paperbackswap - looking forward to reading it.

Have you read/do you like Charlaine Harris's two paranormal mystery series--Southern Vampire Mysteries and Harper Connelly Mysteries? They're among my favorite of that subgenre.

Denise Swanson

I read everything by Charlaine Harris. Even her one-offs. She's a wonderful writer.

I read everything by Charlaine Harris. Even her one-offs. She's a wonderful writer.

Charlaine is an amazing writer. To be able to write four series that are so different from one another is an awesome talent.

By the way, I was in an anthology with Victoria Laurie a few years back called Drop Dead Blonde. I believe her novella in that anthology was the first of her psychic eye mysteries. My novella was called Dead Blondes Tell No Tales and Victoria's was called Blind Sighted.

Denise Swanson

Anyone read anything by C. J. Box, the Joe Pickett series? Central character is a Wyoming game warden. There was a review of the most recent book in the series, Below Zero, in our paper and it sounded intriguing.

Anyone read anything by C. J. Box, the Joe Pickett series? Central character is a Wyoming game warden. There was a review of the most recent book in the series, Below Zero, in our paper and it sounded intriguing.

I've read one or two. My dad liked them. I like a bit more humor and romance in the mysteries I read.

Denise Swanson