Cape Liberty travel and JFK Question

So I have searched out some air fares and my best bet is to Fly in and out of JFK.

We are flying in from California and are arriving Thursday for a Sunday departure on the Explorer so arriving is no problem. The flight out is at noon will we make the flight??? We are diamond members so should be off the ship first and we can grab a cab to get to JFK. Any help would be great.

I know Newark is much closer but we could not get non-stop flights and it was more money to fly out of Newark. I was hoping we could make that flight. There were flights earlier but I wanted to give us a bit more time.

Last time cruising (last summer) we were off the ship by 8AM so I would figure even if it is 9AM that would give us an hour to get to the airport???

Please help soon I have a hold on the flights.

Joel

What day of the week are you arriving back? If it is during the week you could have a problem making JFK in an hour. It is about 45-60 minutes with no traffic.

Last time into Cape Liberty they had first call off at 6:30 or so and I would make sure you were part of that group to insure getting to the airport in time.

You would be cutting it close, even as a Diamond with white tags. If the flight leaves at noon, you should be at the airport by 10:30 the latest. You would have to cross the Hudson by bridge and then into Brooklyn by bridge on a Friday in the summertime.

The big bridge you cross under leaving Cape Liberty is the Verrazano-Narrows connecting Staten Island and Brooklyn. When rushing to the airport your cabbie would be shooting over that bridge to get to the Belt Parkway thru Brooklyn and then on to JFK which is near Jamaica Bay in South Queens.

This trip would be a nailbiter. Make sure you have your tums.

I live in Queens so I do not do the morning commute from Jersey or Staten Island to the city but I have been on the same roads in the morning and have watched the news traffic reports enough times to say that getting from Cape Liberty to JFK during the morning commute could easily take more than an hour. I would guess more like 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would think that if you are in the cab by 8AM you should get to JFK by 10AM baring some major traffic problem like a closed bridge or tunnel or the President in town but I would not count on getting there in an hour or less.

I think you should get a later flight. If you have to go through Staten Island and there is any kind of backup, it can take you 2 hours to get through, especially on a Friday.

If the ship is held up for any reason, you are cutting it too close.

I live in Central NJ and will be on the Explorer 6/22 sailing. I would definitely recommend a flight later than 12 noon. With traffic to NY on A Friday morning, you're looking at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours from the time you walk off the ship. Friday is a busy day at the airport and you need to factor in time to get through security.

I agree - you are cutting it too close. You can NEVER anticipate traffic (especially rush hour Friday a.m.) in that area. I traveled from LaGuardia to home last year - 36 miles - it took 2.5 hours on a Sunday!

Wow I thought LA traffic was bad I am glad I posted this question before I booked the flight I will be making changes. I am trying to get a flight out of Newark on the return but the times and transfers were terrible but I will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Wow I thought LA traffic was bad I am glad I posted this question before I booked the flight I will be making changes. I am trying to get a flight out of Newark on the return but the times and transfers were terrible but I will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Check sidestep.com and kayak.com and yes traffic here is the pits.

Thanks again.

If you are near Long Beach try Jet Blue which has many flights from that airport to NY (Jet Blue does not fly to LAX).

We were in LA last October for our PC cruise and got there 3 days early. LA traffic can be bad but it is all mainland, not a series of large islands where millions of drivers go at it hammer and tongs every day as we jockey under and over the rivers. and along the crowded highway networks.

Just to add to the reasons why a noon flight is NOT a good idea--the roads to JFK are the same as to many of the Long Island Beaches, and many people take Friday off to go to the beach. Friday traffic is awful!

Joelnlisa

It would be almost impossible to get from Cape Liberty to JFK in one hour. You have to clear customs and the ridr\e to the airport is a good hour with no trafffic. You willl have to cross Staten Island and them go over Verazzano Bridge onto Belt Parkway.

Please consider taking a later flight.

Lewes

We just returned from the Explorer this past Sunday and they didn't start disembarking until 9:30 AM. I don't know what the holdup was, but if this should happen chances are you will miss your flight. I would get a later flight for peace of mind, or fly out from Newark Airport.

Again thanks for the Input!!!

I looked and found a flight at 2:30 that sounds like it should be no problem right????

I was looking at Jet Blue but the times did not meet my schedule. Looks like I will be on American Airlines from LAX to JFK roundtrip non-stop both directions and the plane has 2 seats together on each side so that works well for us since my wife enjoys window seats and I prefer aisle seats and now there will not be a third seat to mess up our preferences.

Thanks for all your comments...Am I OK with 2:30 out of JFK??? I figured that would allow us to not have to rush to be first off and find a way to the airport and be stressed we can now "enjoy" our last NYC time.

Also what would be the best way to get to JFK??? Shuttle service, cab, transfer from Royal????

You should have no problem with a 2:30 flight. I have no idea what the cost for a taxi is but I live on Long Island and it is about an hour or so ride to JFK for us and we pay 150$ for limo/taxi. You definitely might want to see what RCCL offers for transfers because it will most likely be cheaper.

Archived