Aft Balcony - anybody been with a young child?

mmcruise

We have just scored the motherlode of all D1 Staterooms on the Mariner: an aft corner balcony, deck 10. Woo!

It looks like an amazing stateroom and balcony, but my only concern is that my (then) 5 year old Spiderman will want to scale the guardrails. The "regular" balconies on Mariner seem to have un-climb-able plexi sides - the aft balcony has what look from photos to be very climb-able ladder-like sides.

The whole cruise experience is vaguely terrifying on a certain level anyway, with a climber, but I just wanted to see if anybody's stayed in the aft with a young'un and what their experiences were. He will, of course, never be alone or unsupervised out there-but it will definitely age me if I have to yell at him all week.

Want to make sure we can enjoy this cruise as it is our very very very much-needed only vacation of the year.

Thanks!

I wasn't on the Mariner, but we took a cruise in 2005 on the Voyager. We also had an Aft JS on deck 10. I'm attaching a picture of what the railing looked like. We could look down on all the other decks below us as well...not directly to the water.

My kids at the time were DS-3 and DD-1. DS naturally wanted to climb...but we were able to convince him to stay off it....

204911333_sydneyonaftvoyagerdeck.jpg.6418d682dbdf3d14583cb221ce622146.jpg

The door handles to open the balcony are really heavy, cumbesone and hard to move - not to mention that they have to be pulled from an uprigght position to point straight down. Unless your spiderman has the strength of superman, he wont be able to get out there unassisted by you.

I agree about the child not being able to get out that door. Our balcony doors have always been so tough that it's hard for even ME to get open. On Freedom, the handle had to be turned downward to unlock, then pulled. It was tricky to get open.

With our kids we make a "No balcony without parents rule". No child is allowed out on the balcony without a parent. And while ON the balcony...the child must remain seated at all times (unless you are taking a picture...lol). And the minute my children disobey the rules (ages 3 and 7) balcony time stops and they are returned to the cabin. ;)

No worries, he will be fine! Congrats on the great cabin!

Dont worry, I have just returned from Voyager with a 3 year old "Spiderman" and was greatly relieved when I looked out over our10th floor aft balcony and saw a very large (in depth also) balcony below and another below that even deeper - a tiered cake effect. Relax, you are going to have a fantastic vacation.

I have an eight year old spiderman and secured the same type balcony on the Connie. We also were concerned because of his previous endeavors on the Galaxy.

I booked the aft cabin just for the purpose of knowing there were larger cabins underneath. (2008)

Hope to never have to go down there and get the little guy. But you never know.

Great way to meet the down stairs neighbors!! :D

Good choice on balconies and keep up the good work with then "no parent no child rule"

we plan on enforcing that with our first balcony this year on the Emerald.

Kids gotta love them!!

I have yet to hear of a child falling overboard. So fear not.

I have sailed with a 4 year old with a balcony and he is not a climber. However, I told him that he could not stand on a chair because he might fall.

Basically, it is time to scare your child about the realities of balconies. They will understand.

I also never left my child unattended on the balcony for one second.

The doors to the balcony are very heavy and are impossible for most kids to open. So you don't have to worry about them going out there on their own.

If you son is anything like mine- he will be way more interested in the tv and cartoons then scenery and lounging on the balcony. My son and I do have a daily tradition of eating our breakfasts on the balcony. We really enjoy that.

I say with small kids a balcony is a must! It is the only place to escape at night and have some adult time.

Archived