Rosedale on Robson?

I read a post on the Alaska board that said that the Rosedale on Robson is not nice. This is a bit scary as we are booked in there in a timeshare apartment next week prior to our cruise on Infinity.

Does anyone else have experience of this suite hotel?

Is the area scary?

We cannot change as the timeshare exchange is written in stone!

Cinnamon

There are some excellent websites which give reviews written by travellers. Tripadvisor eg is usually worth a look. We refer to it often, and try to give something back by making our own occasional comments on it.

If thinking about booking a place, try "googling" eg (Rosedale on Robson Vancouver reviews. Several review sites should pop up in the results.

Heres examples of what popped up on yours:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d185458-Reviews-Rosedale_on_Robson-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-331485-rosedale_on_robson_suite_hotel-i

I read a post on the Alaska board that said that the Rosedale on Robson is not nice. This is a bit scary as we are booked in there in a timeshare apartment next week prior to our cruise on Infinity.

Does anyone else have experience of this suite hotel?

Is the area scary?

We cannot change as the timeshare exchange is written in stone!

Cinnamon

If there is nothing you can do about it anyhow, does it really matter at this late stage? FWIW, I love Yaletown.

Is the area scary?

Cinnamon

Personally I wouldn't classify that area as scary at all! You are near the Centre for Performing Arts in Vancouver, across from the main Vancouver Public Library square.

As a native citizen, the only areas I would avoid in town (and this is only after dark I'm referring to) are Chinatown and Gastown.

Enjoy your stay and cruise!

Dave

For what it is worth, I stayed there for a week but it was about 7 years ago. At that time I thought that it was a decent place and on several evenings I walked up Robson St. by myself and didn't feel unsafe.

Thanks for all the comments. I have checked out the links from Edinburgher, very useful. I have used Tripadvisor before but did not realise that as it was a hotel as well as timeshare that it would be covered. The good reviews slightly outnumber the bad ones. It seems that the people who don't like it are those who have very high expectations or who pack the maximum number of people into the rooms. We are only 2, so space will not be a problem, especially when you are accustomed to ship's cabins. LOL!

I am sure we will have a great time.

Cinnamon

Had to smile when reading your comment on room sizes.

Last Sept we did a Canada/New England cruise, finishing up in NYC where we stayed for a few nights before returning home.

Our first time in NYC, all we had ever read and heard abot hotel room was how small they were. Arriving off a ship and from a fairly basic inside cabin at that, our first thought on opening the room door was.........its really spacious! The bathroom especially seemed huge!:D

A couple of years ago we had friends from Australia stay there and they thought it was super. When we visited them there I was suprised at how roomy the suite was.

I would recommend it. As to street safety, no problem in that area, as "DAM1050" stated.

Here's their website http://www.rosedaleonrobson.com/. Frommers class the hotel as "Frommers Highly Recommended".

Hope this helps ease you fears and enjoy your stay in Vancouver.

We stopped at Rosedale on Robson at the end of our cruise in mid May. While its facilities and ambience did not match the Fairmont Vancouver, where we stayed pre-cruise, it was perfectly Ok. Our room looked out onto Hamilton Street and even though we were on the second floor we didn't find noise a problem. For the 2 days we were there we walked everywhere without any problem. We were unaware of any more "undesireables" in this area than anywhere else we were in Vancouver. Overall we were struck by the friendliness of people in Vancouver, especially those who stopped to offer advice when they saw us looking at a map. Enjoy your stay!

Archived