Maasdam Norfolk Cruise

Hape

We are leaving Norfolk on Nov. 30th. We have decided to park in the cruise terminal parking area and are looking for a motel to stay the night before. We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express and are wondering how far away the listed one is and the area where it is located since our daughter stayed at a Virginia Beach motel a while ago and didn't like the area. Thanks for any info you can give us.

Hape,

I looked through the Holiday Inn website and don't see any Holiday Inn Express motels in Norfolk. The closest one is in the Western Branch section of Chesapeake.

Many people either stay at the Sheraton or Marriott near Waterside. Also the Radisson on Monticello Ave has a special for $134 which includes a night at the hotel and parking for the cruise for $134.

The Holiday Inn Express is the one in Chesapeake - 2436 Gum Road but listed under Norfolk listings and says it is 10 miles from Norfolk. I don't know the motel in Virginia Beach but it was a one night stopover enroute to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I have been on the Maasdam on back to back cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale two years ago and liked the ship very much - we have been on quite a few of HAL ships and can't complain about any one except maybe the Noordam which had engine trouble as we were returning from a Panama Canal cruise. Thanks for your help.

That's the only Holiday Inn Express that I could find. It's near the Chesapeake Square Mall. I would have thought it was more than 10 miles from Norfolk. But I never go from that area to downtown Norfolk, so I'm just basing that on my gut feeling. That distance is probably based on local roads, not on taking the expressways.

Not much to say about it. Kind of a standard suburban mall. Not a tourist location. I'm guessing the hotel is mainly there for business travelers. To get to the cruise ship you have to go through the downtown tunnel that connects Portsmouth to Norfolk. That can get backed up, but I assume that you're not going to be travelling during rush hour.

The Virginia Beach oceanfront I referred to would be a bit further than that from Norfolk, about 1/2 hour away. There are some hotels relatively near the airport and some others (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn)in the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake, probably less than 15 minutes from the pier. I mention those just because I live relatively near them and know the area best.

There is a very nice, high rise ,Marriott Courtyard in downtown Norfolk. It is just a few blocks from the piers. Courtyard is only about two-three years old.
I stayed in it last year, when I had to evacuate for the hurricane. It is located just three blocks from the regular Marriott Hotel, which is located very near the piers,too.

Thanks for all your help - I will check these motels out in my AAA book and on line and make a decision soon. Have 3 months to go so assume that time of year there will be available space. By the way Orcrone - got the $50. pp shipboard credit thanks to your post. TA said HA said it was for new bookings only but checked with her supervisor and then gave it to us. That should help with the mandatory tips now in effect.

Hape, glad you got the shipboard credit. Every little bit helps. Also, I forgot about in the Greenbrier area there's also a Courtyard by Marriott, Comfort Suites, Fairfield Inn, Hilton Gardens (brand new) and several others. I don't know about the Courtyard in downtown Norfolk that Zil talked about, but that may not be a bad option. Also, there's also the Radisson that includes the parking in their package. They provide a shuttle to and from the pier. Some people on my 10/30 cruise will be using it. I can post about the hotel when we return.

Orcrone

As a resident of this area, I advise you to stay in downtown Norfolk prior to your cruise. . You will never have an easier boarding from your overnight hotel in the downtown area. Driving into town on sailing day could be tough, if you are not familiar with area. There is no need to deal with strange roads and heavy traffic.

[quote name='Hape']We are leaving Norfolk on Nov. 30th. We have decided to park in the cruise terminal parking area and are looking for a motel to stay the night before. We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express and are wondering how far away the listed one is and the area where it is located since our daughter stayed at a Virginia Beach motel a while ago and didn't like the area. Thanks for any info you can give us.[/QUOTE]

There is a brand new Holiday Inn Express on Military Highway in Norfolk. It is at the intersection of Military Highway and princess Anne Road (North Hampton Blvd). The Sheraton or Marriott in downtown Norfolk would be much nicer and I believe they both provide parking for the cruise when you stay overnight before the cruise. Will be much more convient that the Holiday Inn Express and a lot more to do and more places to eat that at Holiday Inn Express. Look forward to seeing you on this cruise.

Thanks to all. We are trying to stay away from the hotels that include parking because we would rather just hop into our car and take off for home when we disembark and not have to wait around for the hotel shuttle but will keep them in mind when we make our final decision. What will the weather be like the end of November and mid December in Norfolk?

You can not tell what the weather will be like this far out from 30 November. It could be anywhere from the 70's to the 30's. Please ask again a little closer to the cruise, will be glad to provide update then. The parking lot for the cruise is quite a bit away from the terminal and you have to take a shuttle there. The downtown hotels are closer than the parking lot and within walking distance from the terminal. One could walk and get the car while the other waited with the lugage (weather permitting).

Thanks for the info on checking the Roll Call thread. I never thought to look there and the info on the Best Western Holiday Sands looks like a good deal. We will only be there from late Monday until sailing Tuesday morning so just want a nice room, good breakfast and then on to a wonderful 11 day cruise - love that extra day.

Archived