First time to LA..want to sail on the Mariner

mitaxi

Okay.... I do need help and advice..Never having been to Southern CA., I have NO clue as to how far LAX is to the Pier..or if that is even where one would fly into..how to get to the pier....or which area I should book a hotel for pre-cruise. ???/

I am So excited to sail on the Mariner/Mexico Riviera cruise...but this midwesterner needs help..

Thanks

Michele

Few airlines fly into Long Beach Airport, but if you can, that is the closest airport (about 8 miles from the port). LAX is about 30 miles from the port. The best way to get there from either of these airports is via shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com) or taxi (about $45 one way). Some fly into John Wayne (Orange County) airport, but it is more like 45 miles away.

What do you want to do pre-cruise? Shop? Tourist destinations? Hollywood sights? Museums? Gardens? Sports activities? Beaches? LA is very spread out, so what you want to do may dictate where you stay.

Many people stay near the airport as there are many hotels close by. You are more limited in San Pedro (where the port is). There are more hotels in Long Beach (about 8 miles away).

Let us know your interests, and we can recommend areas to stay.

Few airlines fly into Long Beach Airport, but if you can, that is the closest airport (about 8 miles from the port). LAX is about 30 miles from the port. The best way to get there from either of these airports is via shuttle (http://www.supershuttle.com) or taxi (about $45 one way). Some fly into John Wayne (Orange County) airport, but it is more like 45 miles away.

What do you want to do pre-cruise? Shop? Tourist destinations? Hollywood sights? Museums? Gardens? Sports activities? Beaches? LA is very spread out, so what you want to do may dictate where you stay.

Many people stay near the airport as there are many hotels close by. You are more limited in San Pedro (where the port is). There are more hotels in Long Beach (about 8 miles away).

Let us know your interests, and we can recommend areas to stay.

I would probably want to stay closer to the port rather than the airport.... What is in the area of Long Beach? Hotel recommendations?

having never been to southern Ca.. I would want to see some tourist destinations ...maybe the beach...??

Michele

Long Beach has the Queen Mary (only been there for a PR event when I was in that business, back in 1988) and the Aquarium of the Pacific (which I give a thumbs up to). The QM is next to where two Carnival ships dock (the Paradise and the Pride) and Shoreline Village, which has restaurants and little stores. There's a free bus that shuttles between Shoreline and the Aquarium.

Despite the name, not really a beach there (as far as I know).

An option is staying in LB (some nice hotels from what people write here) and either renting a car or taking a taxi (tends to be expensive) and checking out other areas such as Santa Monica (there's a beach and a pier there as well as the Third Street Promenade which is an outdoor mall that's fun to check out.

Okay.... I do need help and advice..Never having been to Southern CA., I have NO clue as to how far LAX is to the Pier..or if that is even where one would fly into..how to get to the pier....or which area I should book a hotel for pre-cruise. ???/

I am So excited to sail on the Mariner/Mexico Riviera cruise...but this midwesterner needs help..

Thanks

Michele

Hi Michelle,

There is a newly remodeled Hilton in Long beach that you can usually book on hotwire for about $99.00. There is a great public transportation system for tourists and locals alike all over the Long Beach area. Red busses, purple and also some water taxi's. Very clean and fun. They cost like $1.00 or 2....They can take you to the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village...(shopping and restaurants on the water), the aquarium is excellent and accross the street. You can also take either the water taxi or buses to Belmont Shore, an area of Long Beach with lots of shops and restaurants. Very popular area. There are beaches down there to go to. There is a nice waterfront grassy park area to walk, etc. You would probably take a taxi to the pier. There is nothing in San Pedro. It is an industrial, port area. About a 5-10 min ride.

Jet Blue flies into Long Beach airport along with a few others. You would probably need a super shuttle from LAX about a 30 min ride depending on traffic of course.

If you are flying in the morning of your cruise you could use RCI transportation directly to the pier.

When are you planning on cruising?

Thanks...sounds like the Long beach area would be a great place to stay and get to see some things/shop etc. Would love to see the aquarium,.

I am planning on cruising late summer 2009.. on the Mariner when they reposition her.....

Realent.....I see you are going on the Brilliance 12 day Venice ....I took my sons on that cruise last June and going again with my sister in September....you will love it!! Great ship and a wonderful itenerary, Enjoy!!

Michele

I definitely second (or is it third by now?) the suggestion for staying in Long Beach and also visiting the aquarium. I grew up in Long Beach and my dad still lives there. Every time we come to visit him, he takes us to the aquarium and we never get tired of it. If you stay in Long Beach, be sure to throw out some hotel names here so those of us who know the area can let you know if they're acceptable or not. There's kind of a fine line downtown between the nice areas and the not so nice areas. The Shoreline Village/Pike area is your best bet, staying as close as possible to Ocean Blvd and not venturing too far inland.

I would suggest going to this link: http://p070.ezboard.com/SAN-GABRIEL-VALLEYLONG-BEACH-HOTEL-LIST/fpricelineandexpediabiddingfrm198.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Scroll down to LONG BEACH and look at the hotels listed for 4*. If you fly into the Long Beach airport and decide to stay near the airport, I would only do either Marriott or Holiday Inn LB Airport. I've stayed at both and they're not bad.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

I was able to snag the Hyatt Long Beach on Priceline for our upcoming Pride cruise. I plan to try the same for upcoming Monarch & Mariner, even though they are sailing out of San Pedro. We have stayed in San Pedro and it was OK.... but the main reason was that hotel held our car for 15 days with no additional charge. For shorter cruises, it is a better deal for us to use Priceline and pay to park or use our bonus point for parking at the Hyatt.

clammy, when I go to visit my dad, first choice is Long Beach. If that's too expensive, next choice is Orange County. I try to only do LAX as a last resort. In the last 10 years (and visiting my dad at least once a year) I've only flown into LAX two times!:rolleyes: Orange County is a nice airport to get in & out of, and not that bad of a drive to Long Beach (or San Pedro in the case of a cruise), unless it's during rush hour.

Archived