Soda cards and room service

sid316

We are getting ready for our first-ever cruise in a week and have come up with a few questions.

If you buy a soda card what does it cover? Also, I have heard that if a waiter brings the drink to you there is a charge, but if you go get it yourself obviously there is not. Is that correct?

Also, if you order room service, I understand there is no charge for the food, but they charge you for delivery over and above a tip you might give the waiter. Is this true?

Do they give you some documents when you board outlining these kinds of charges, and, in fact, including a diagram of the ship so you have some idea where things are?

We travel regularly, but have never before taken a cruise. We're excited about the cruise, but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any help.

I've only ever sailed on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, so I'll answer based on those cruise lines.

If you buy a soda card sticker they will give you a special cup that you can hand to the bartenders or waiters and they will fill with whatever soft drink you choose. You cannot use your soda card for room service, or for the canned drinks in your cabin fridge. Most of the servers are pretty good about filling up the cup, but if I keep going back to the same person I am likely to give them a couple of bucks for appreciation.

You do not pay a delivery charge for room service. However, the room service waiters do not receive a portion of your gratuity so most people suggest you give them $2-$5, depending on the meal. If we have a snack plate or something like that, I'll give them $2. If we have breakfast I'll give them $3 or $4. I bring about $50 in ones with me to cover this.

I have received a small ship diagram when I boarded, but there are also materials in your stateroom with maps and diagrams of the ship. Half the fun of boarding day is walking and figuring out where everything is!

The same materials will give you a good idea of what is an extra charge and what is not. Here's an easy trick ... if they ask for your Sea Pass (your card), then someone is going to charge you for something!

One thing that is free is the pictures they take. Pictures are available for viewing in the photo gallery, and you only pay for the pictures that you like. So smile!

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!!!

We are getting ready for our first-ever cruise in a week and have come up with a few questions.

You will have a great time, we loved the triumph!

If you buy a soda card what does it cover? Also, I have heard that if a waiter brings the drink to you there is a charge, but if you go get it yourself obviously there is not. Is that correct?

On Carnival, you get a seperate card and a refill glass to use at the bars or in the dining room. There is no extra charge depending if the waiter brings you the drink or not. But, you can tip them if you choose to.

Also, if you order room service, I understand there is no charge for the food, but they charge you for delivery over and above a tip you might give the waiter. Is this true?

There is no charge and tipping is not required. Many choose to though. However, they do charge for drinks, even if you have a soda card.

Do they give you some documents when you board outlining these kinds of charges, and, in fact, including a diagram of the ship so you have some idea where things are?

Generally, in embarkation they give you a small map, if not just go to the pursers desk and ask for one, I'm sure they'll have them there. You also get a newsletter each day "The Carnival Caper" that has informtion about the upcoming day.

We travel regularly, but have never before taken a cruise. We're excited about the cruise, but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any help.

You'll love cruises, your other vacations won't even compare! Don't worry, i'm sure you'll have a great time! Bon Voyage!!

On RCCL if you get the soda card, do you only get free sodas in the cup they give? Or can you just go up to the bar and get a free soda in a regular glass?

I was planning to get the soda card this trip, but I don't want to carry a cup around with me :)

Thanks!

Our 3 teen kids just off of 11 nights X-Mercury were treated like kings with their soda cards. After getting somewhere near 15 Diet Cokes per day :eek: , all of the ships bar staff knew them. Soon they didn't even need their card or cup. As well, in the formal dining room, the bar guy would bring 3 Diet Cokes to our table AUTOMATICALLY every meal. He usually showed up with 1 or 2 refills without being asked... He knew our kids I guess. Needless to say our kids brought extra cash for 'Special' service, and these staff members were well rewarded at the end of the cruise.

Some things on Celebrity can't be beat! I'm sure RCL etc will be similar although I've heard that some lines make it more difficult to get sodas once they've sold you the card. Ours were $5/Day X 11 days = $55. US per kid. I can't believe it, but we feel that was a good deal.

Enjoy.

PS Also, for my wife and I, we brought along 2 24 packs of D.C. for our cabin use which was very convenient.

Kind of off topic, but I went on the Grand Princess in 2003, and purchased the soda card and made FULL use of it (I'm a soda drinker).

However, we just got off the Miracle. I purchased the soda card on the first day, and so did my fiance. I know for a fact that we did not drink as many sodas to make the card worth it. Carnival has so many great tasting juices, coffee and hot chocolate, you'll find yourself not even wanting soda!

On RCCL if you get the soda card, do you only get free sodas in the cup they give? Or can you just go up to the bar and get a free soda in a regular glass?

I was planning to get the soda card this trip, but I don't want to carry a cup around with me :)

Thanks!

What ship are you sailing? In my experience, they put a sticker on your sea pass card/room key. As long as you have your card there is no need for the cup. The cup is nice when you're by the pool. I would definitely get a soda card. Have a great cruise!!:p

I've only ever sailed on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, so I'll answer based on those cruise lines.

If you buy a soda card sticker they will give you a special cup that you can hand to the bartenders or waiters and they will fill with whatever soft drink you choose. You cannot use your soda card for room service, or for the canned drinks in your cabin fridge. Most of the servers are pretty good about filling up the cup, but if I keep going back to the same person I am likely to give them a couple of bucks for appreciation.

Just to clarify- On Celebrity you do not need the special cup for refills of soda with the soda sticker. You only need to show your card with the sticker.

Our cup sits in our cabin all cruise - why have to lug something around with you when you can just get a glass of soda by showing your card!

We have had great service with the sticker and no problems getting bar waiters to serve us. In fact, in the lounges that we frequent after the first two nights, the bar waiter would bring us another glass as soon as we were finished with the first one and toward the end of the cruise, would bring us a glass of soda as soon as we sat down.

You do not pay a delivery charge for room service. However' date=' the room service waiters do not receive a portion of your gratuity so most people suggest you give them $2-$5, depending on the meal. If we have a snack plate or something like that, I'll give them $2. If we have breakfast I'll give them $3 or $4. I bring about $50 in ones with me to cover this.Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!!![/quote']

SOmething to consider for carnival cruising--

Room service is free. Tipping the person who delivers it - a buck or two is more then plenty- they are only delivering it to your room.

basing that buck or two to room service on what I tip others onboard:

You are paying 3.50 A day to the cabin steward who makes up your room twice a day... who does way more work on your cruise then the delivery person.

This is carnival -not celebrity= On carnival the most for breakfast you can get is a continenetal one-- nothing is hot on the menu.

here is a link to view the menu

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1114576414044264514PfSdSF

--

soda cards-- on carnival we have yet to buy a soda card. 90 bucks for 2 people for 7 days is a bit much for us for drinking soda. We are off the ship more then what we are on it. There is plenty of free drinks onboard. Iced Tea, lemonade, fruit punch. PLUS we can carry on our own 12 packs.

Soda cards are not good for room service- nor are they good for cans of soda. They are for one small glass of soda at a time.(and most of its ice)

I've been on Carnival, Princess, NCL and Royal Caribbean... as for the soda card/sticker and the cup they give you we have never even used the reusable cup, just left it in our stateroom. Some of the nicer bartenders will even give you a LARGE glass with your soda.

Happy cruising !!

Ok, I am a bit confused. But when we sailed on the Pride 3 yrs ago, I bought a soda card for myself and one for DD, my husband was happy w/ the other drinks available so he didn't need one. I was given a red (I think it was red) soda card and my DD had one too. There was no special cup given to me that I had to tote w/ me if I wanted a drink. I just showed them my card and I got a new, clean cup of soda. That is kind of nasty to be dragging around the same cup all over the ship everyday. Not to mention for kids to have to do that, yuk. So unless things have changed I just had a soda card and a new glass each time. Has this changed on the Pride? If so, I am not using the same glass everyday, who does that in their home? And I am not toting that glass w/ me all day. I'll stick to foo foo drinks and juice.

Archived