Grand Cayman Rental Car-Suggestions

hkolln

We have reserved a rental car for our trip to Grand Cayman thru grandcaymanexcursions.com for 45.00. I thought that is cheaper then taking a ships tour and being this is our 3rd stop in GC we have done all the water stuff already (IE: Stingray city, snorkeling, etc...) and want to do our own tour at our own pace. Thinking of going to Bodden Town and Rum Point to snorkel.

Any other "MUST SEES" in Grand Cayman while we have the car?? Also any good tasty restaurants on our way around the island? We are thinking of staying on the East End instead of 7 mile beach.

Thanks!

HKolln, thanks for posting this, as I was just about to do the same!

The other question I have, since I haven't yet rented a car....Is there any rental company that we shouldn't consider? Are they close to the pier? I found a jeep on Avis for $53, but they are at several hotels on 7 Mile beach, so I am not sure if that is as convenient as others.

Thanks in advance for the information,

Not sure about where the rental office place is at. It says on the reservation I submitted that you go to the Blue Iquana store across from the cruise ship landing and there is a courtesy pickup there to take you to the avis rental office which is a 4 minute drive from there. They also bring you back to the cruise ship landing upon returning the rental car. I liked that fact so I didn't have to explain to a taxi driver where to go. Plus the car we picked was only 45.00 for the day all inclusive which includes free gas and insurance!

Try going to grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com and look for the Grand Cayman island tours eastern or western area link. It will take you to Cico Avis where you can reserve right there.

We used this website to rent our car last year 1/04. The blue iguana is like 3 blocks to the right of the pier. The avis pickup van was there like 5 minutes after we arrived. They actually take you to their airport office, which is like a 10 minute drive away. When we got to the office, everyone rushed off the minivan to get their car so we were last in line. Sometimes it pays to be last. They ran out of the cheap $45 car so we got a free upgrade to a jeep! :D They gave us a really good map of the island as well.

We brought our collapsible cooler and filled it with sodas/water. And, we got some sandwiches from the cafe promenade the night before. We brough zip lock baggies on the trip expressly for this purpose. So, we didn't try any of the restaurants. But, Rum Point did have several outdoor cafe type areas w/beach grills....and let me tell you, it smelled DELICIOUS!!!

Rum Point also has a Red Sail Sports desk. If you want to tour the island in your car AND do a stingray snorkel...YOU CAN. We went on red sail's 2 hour glass bottom boat stingray snorkel trip from Rum Point. You see, stingray sandbar is only a 15 minute boat ride from Rum Point as compared to a 45 minute boat ride around the sound from georgetown.

Or, you can just relax on the beach and swim...NO CHAIR HOGS HERE!!! You will feel like you have the beach entirely to yourself. I'm not kidding!

Thanks for the information. I have just sent in for the reservation, so hopefully will hear back soon. Since we have done the Stingrays and snorkeled on prevrious trips, we thought this would be a relaxing way to spend the day.

I like the idea of packing a picnic lunch, but in case we don't...does anyone have a recommendation for a place to eat around Rum Point?

yes, fairly large gravel lot to park, no fees. I think there is a sign not to bring drinks/food on the beach, so we left our collapsible in the car. Its not far from lot to beach so you can easily go back for something if you want it.

Archived