Looks like the caymans escaped without major harm

tidelover

National Hurricane Committee Issues 'All Clear'
Thursday, August 12, 2004
The National Hurricane Committee (NHC) issued the All-Clear with effect from 1:30 p.m. today (Thursday), bringing to a close a 24-hour vigil that closed offices and kept residents indoors while Hurricane Charley surged forward dangerously close to Grand Cayman on one side and the Sister Islands on the other.

“It has been a close call and we are thankful that we have once again been spared,” said Deputy Chief Secretary Donovan Ebanks who headed the operations of the National Hurricane Committee. “It is even more sobering in light of the current intensification taking place as it moves away.” Mr. Ebanks noted that there had been no reports of injuries or damage to property.

With Charley’s departure, the Islands’ two airports are reopening this afternoon and the national flag carrier, Cayman Airways, is expecting the return of its first flight back to Grand Cayman early afternoon. Other carriers are expecting to resume services as early as possible; members of the travelling public should contact their carriers for details.

In the meantime, the Islands should continue to expect some adverse weather from the receding system. This includes windy conditions on all islands and heavy wave action and rough seas on all coasts, particularly southern and western coasts. Marine interests are urged to continue to take all precautions

Just wait for "Earl". He should be along in about 7-8 days. It really is TD-5 but once it forms up into a hurricane, it will be given the name Earl.

Check [url]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/[/url] for current hurricane information.

Thanks for the web site address. I was able to read up on Earl... Seems like it will affect the Eastern Carribean more (not good news for those who just left today on the CP for eastern itinerary (from FLL). We will be traveling Western, but still worry about the unpredictability of hurricanes/storms, and that Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, etc...might be affected...Living on the west coast and relatively new to cruising, we'd never thought of hurricanes when booking this trip...Besides, our daughter will be back in school in September.
BTW, really enjoyed the underwater photography on your web site (and the kids' photos)!!!
Kim

I wonder if Deputy Chief Secretary Donovan Ebanks is related to Sharon Ebanks, who runs Nativeway?

By the way, Earl will definitely be in the Western Caribbean, Live The Good LIfe. Here's it's projected path: [url]http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0504W5+GIF/141058W5.gif[/url] The good news is it looks like it will be past there and up towards Louisiana by the time you (and I) leave. We're on the 8/21 Carnival Sensation out of Tampa. Of course, these things can change rapidly, as we've seen.

[quote name='CruiseMark']I wonder if Deputy Chief Secretary Donovan Ebanks is related to Sharon Ebanks, who runs Nativeway?[/QUOTE]

Half the island has the name Ebanks, and they are all related, I believe. I remember one time when a poster was asking about the difference between one snorkel tour company and another, and this poster(Joebat, I believe) posted the full names of all the company owners, and they were all Ebanks. :)

Archived