unusual ports - snorkeling advice?

Hello all,

My husband and I are going on a cruise in November that stops at a number of more out of the way ports.

We would be VERY grateful for recommendations on good snorkeling options for:

Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos

Samana, Dominican Republic

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Gustavia, St. Barths

Cabrits (North end) of Dominica

Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe

Our first preference would be sites from shore, so that we can rest and repeat :D .... but would also appreciate hearing about top-notch organized tours/boat trips.

I've read hundreds of postings but have not been able to find much that is relevant for these particular stops, so any help you can give would terrific.

Thanks,

Christy (a.k.a. happycat)

To answer your question, this itinerary is for the soon-to-be Azamara Quest - the Celebrity spin off. They purchased two R class ships that carry 710 passengers, have/will refurbish them and have created a new line around them that focuses on more out-of-the-way ports.

It's a 12 night cruise and very port intensive - also includes St. John's BVI and Virgin Gorda, BVI - but I know where I want to go snorkeling there.

I'm still hoping someone can help me out with suggestions for some of these other ports!

I was told that we could snorkel right from St. Anne beach in Guadeloupe, so my son and I went there for the day. Gorgeous beach with a small islet maybe 150 yards offshore...really one of the whitest, most beautiful beaches I've seen in the entire Caribbean. We snorkeled along its shore....pleasant enough but not particularly great. See if you can find a better snorkeling spot.

While in Dominica, I highly recommend a Jeep tour to Titou Gorge:

http://www.dominica.dm/site/hikes.cfm?difficulty=easy

We were there 5 or 6 years ago and it was a great, great trip. The 4x4s drive you over rough terrain through the forest to a short hike to the gorge. You wear a swim suit and get into quite cold water and swim up the gorge. I can almost guarantee you've never seen anything like it. It was one of our best tours ever in the Caribbean.

In fact, the gorge was the site of a scene in Pirates of the Caribbean (I or II??).

Archived