Has anyone exchanged $$ for euros in PHL airport?

After reading many posts on this and other sites, I know we will feel more comfortable having some euros in our possession before we hit the ground in Paris in September before our land tour and cruise. (We will be using ATMs thereafter.) I've been thinking that since we have a 6 hour layover in the Philadelphia airport, that might be a good place to get a small amount of euros. Evidently there are a number of Travelex/Thomas Cook offices in the airport that will do this. Has anyone done this? If so, was it easy to find them? Thanks for any info.

Yes, you will find several booths that will happily exchange your dollars for Euros. Why will they be happy? Because you are exchanging your dollars for a ridiculous exchange rate. On the other hand, if it will make you happy to have some Euros in your pocket than I guess everyone will be happy. Of course you could wait until you arrive in CDG where you will find ATMs (much better exchange rates) and banks that will give you a better rate than in PHL.

Hank

Yes, you will find several booths that will happily exchange your dollars for Euros. Why will they be happy? Because you are exchanging your dollars for a ridiculous exchange rate. On the other hand, if it will make you happy to have some Euros in your pocket than I guess everyone will be happy. Of course you could wait until you arrive in CDG where you will find ATMs (much better exchange rates) and banks that will give you a better rate than in PHL.

Hank

:D Hank, you make me laugh and proud to be a frugal traveler! My sentiments exactly.

New retiree,

Hank knows of what he speaks.... the exchange rate is far better from any ATM in Paris' airport than on US land or from an exchange office.

But, I understand your desire for Euros in hand before you need them. Only you will be able to decide what that peace of mind is worth. If it is only a small amount then the fees (conversion, transaction, use, etc) may be worth it or way out of line.

Congratulations on the new retirement!

In Paris you will get off the plane and head directly for the baggage area. While WAITING for your luggage, I'm sure that behind you against the wall will be an ATM that you can immediately get Euros. Problem might be that it dispenses large bills. Look for an exchange booth and let them break the bill(s). Your 1st need for any tipping money will be after you retrieve your luggage. On our trip to Italy last fall we came back with over 300 Euros. We put them in an envelope and will have them this Sept when we go again.

John L.

You can also go to your local bank branch before you depart for your trip, and exchange $$ for Euros. Their exchange rate is going to be much better than what you see at the airport.

Depending upon the bank, you may need to allow a few days. Their central office will have foreign currency, but they may need to send out the currency to the branch office after the request is received.

That is how my DH and I obtain the foreign currency we need for our travels.

Enjoy your cruise and your retirement!!!!

I just came back from Europe. I agree, you are better off leaving the US with SOME euros in your pocket. You are best off, like the previous poster mentioned, going to your local bank. The exchange rate was the same at my bank vs AMEX vs AAA. plus there were no fees. The exchange rate was about 1.43.

The easiest way is probably to use the Travelex in the airport once you get to Philly, but usually the exchange rate is higher and they charge fees. overall, you are probably talking about a $10 difference to use them vs your bank for a couple hundred Euros. keep in mind, the travelex are not open 24 hours..so make sure your flight lands in Philly at an hour that they will be open.

happy retirement!

Last year I went to my bank (Bank America) before leaving and the "charge" for several hundred Euros was quite high. Seems the bank wants to make more than its fair rate for providing this service. I used the ATM in Rome when I arrived. Just a caution on using the ATM's. You only have 30 seconds to remove your money or it takes it back.

John L.

I am sure every bank is different in its policy. I used Chase. Its not free though to get Euros, they still charge a spread. right now the Euro is about $1.34-$1.35 and banks want to sell you at $1.42-$1.43. I took out plenty of money via ATMS on the trip as well. i got hit with additional charges..(small though, $3/per transaction). + at some cities the max withdrawal per transaction was $250 euros.

Larry

Archived