A view from the Pier!

oceanbear

Not having sailed Azamara yet, but booked on a future cruise in 2008, I have been reading “Journey” passenger’s feedback with great interest. It seems to me that the Azamara line was created to fill a perceived void, defined as a “deluxe” category, somewhere between “premium” (Celebrity) and “luxury” (Seabourn, Regent etc.). What RCL really wants is a direct competitor to Oceania. It also seems evident that Azamara brought its product to market before it was “ready for prime time”. In fact the description of “Journey’s” maiden cruise reminded me of the “EDS” commercial of “2000”, where an airplane is built as it flies through the air. It makes a funny commercial, but not fun for the passengers. Did Azamara do right by its passengers? It seems this is a “yes and no” answer. Passengers were obviously used as guinea pigs, but they were recompensed with a replacement cruises; however, if this was your only vacation of the year, you might well feel ill-used. It seems Azamara has determined not to repeat this episode with “Quest”, which in my view is a very smart decision. Starting with negative reviews certainly does nothing for a new cruise line.

It seems to me that, other than the size of the ship, Celebrity once was what Azamara now wants to be. Celebrity has steadily dropped its standards from the 1990’s to a point where this new offering is an improvement in food and amenities over the current Celebrity standards. To be fair, the smaller ship size and capacity will allow for visits to smaller and less visited ports; however, is this enough to justify prices that rival Oceania, but services that do not? Not in my view! IMO, you don’t compete with a successful existing “deluxe” cruise line by pricing your product at the same or higher level. Why would I choose Azamara over a proven product such as Oceania? Again it seems to me that you keep your prices lower to encourage new passengers and provide the type of experience that brings in kudos rather than complaints, and once you have a mature product, you can raise your prices to the level of your competition.

Will Azamara improve to be a real competitor to Oceania? I hope so, and with the proper management and foresight, I believe it will; meanwhile, I will watch these boards with interest over the coming months. My future cruise on “Quest” hangs in the balance!

I'm glad to be not the only one in "doubt" ! This despite the critics I do get for that from others.

I truly hope things will pick up and Azamara gets as good as it promises to be.....because I would like to try. But I don't feel like spending my money on "Celebrity with a twist"

I'll be watching these boards as well. I have to decide before October 13......:(

I'm booked on the Journey and also had booked on a 14 day cruise on the Quest. Sailed on REN and love the ships.

Too may questions still unanswered.

Keeping my Journey cruise because I love Bermuda cruises.

Cancelled the Quest because because too many ????????????? still out there.

Archived