Seeking Advice on Shipping Luggage Ahead to Europe

Cruise Gypsy

We have a Mediterranean cruise planned for next year debarking from Barcelona on the Century - we are very excited. :D

We are thinking that shipping ahead some of our luggage would just make the trip from Seattle a lot easier. Has anyone does this and what was your experience? We are thinking either shipping it to the hotel or if it possible to the cruise terminal. Your thoughts??:confused:

I had checked into this for our last transatlantic - the cost was quite high - higher than paying for an extra bag on the airlines - and you would have to send it quite early. There is also a chance that it could be delayed going through customs. Celebrity does not accept baggage present so you would have to make arrangements with your hotel.

I shipped a bag ahead to Barcelona a few years ago via Fedex. We were doing ten days in Paris and southern France and didn't want to drag an extra bag around with formal and cruise only stuff. It was about $300 for one 70 pound suitcase. We sent it out about two weeks ahead of the cruise. It got held up at customs in Paris for about a week...I don't know why it went to Paris first. I only got it delivered to the hotel in Barcelona the day we sailed, and that was only because a local Barcelona Fedex guy took it on as a personal cause to get it to me. When I got home I found that I got charged an additional $190 or so for customs and import fees. Fedex said that it is all up to the local customs officials to assess the fees.

Unless something has changed, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Regards

From experience, it can be a real hassle. Many hotels won't accept shipped bags, Celebrity won't accept shipped bags, and local Customs can be a real problem. When I wanted to ship to Buenos Aires for a cruise, I was told that Argentinian Customs would assess the value of the bags and their contents and charge me duty---on my own clothes. The concierge at the BA hotel said they have had customers who had Custom's bills as high as $2000. Spanish Customs can do the same thing, if they so desire.

As for shipping, you can expect to pay over $250 per bag from Seattle to Barcelona.

Archived