Worst Experiences on a Cruise

lmondrop

Last Nov my DH and I went on a cruise that left from Baltimore. (Not Carnival)

It was really windy however we had a great time. On the way back up the coast, the wind was so strong you could hear howling and the photo gallery walls were just-a-flapping. The FF blew off your plate, no one could stay outside. Well all that wind made a change in the tides and the ship could not get to the pier. We did not disembark until 8pm. All day we had to sit in the lounge, we werent allowed in our rooms anymore. And the poor people who were waiting to board--it was truly a nightmare.

Seriously, Get yourself a legal pad a cold one and light up a stogie!

Start writing a screenplay, I see Movie of the week at the very least!

I'm thinking Matthew Perry for the lead....

One of the funniest things I've read in a long time (not to diminish your pain, I'm truely sorry you went through that) You roll w/the punches well.

OK, now back to me, I'll take 10%, please call and we can set up those pesky details.

867-5309

PG

Seriously, Get yourself a legal pad a cold one and light up a stogie!

Start writing a screenplay, I see Movie of the week at the very least!

I'm thinking Matthew Perry for the lead....

One of the funniest things I've read in a long time (not to diminish your pain, I'm truely sorry you went through that) You roll w/the punches well.

OK, now back to me, I'll take 10%, please call and we can set up those pesky details.

867-5309

PG

*laugh* As I said it still ended up a fun cruise not least because I'm originally British and all of these Single Dear Ladies thought I sounded very sexy :) It was truly funny seeing if I could out run their attention on the crutches. At least once I was a little slow and ended up with pinch marks.

My first and worst cruise experience was aboard the Paradise in 2000 (I think). I went on my first cruise with my parents and my husband (before we were married). In the middle of the cruise my husband began feeling sick to his stomach...we assumed it was motion sickness so we took him to the doctors office and they gave him Dramamine. He took it and his stomach only became worse and he had the shakes...the nurse told him to double up on the Dramamine...the day after he "doubled up" he was completely out of it...all he could do was sleep....his personality had completely changed....he was very very mean and rude which is completely out of character. The day before we got off of the ship we took him to see the doctor on the ship and they could not figure out what was wrong....they gave him a shot of some sort that they said would help with the sickness...I believe it was compazine (sp?)...for upset stomach....by the time we got back to port he was definitely in need of serious medical attention...we took him to the nearest hospital where they tested him for meningitis and encephalitis. They believed it to be encephalitis (an infection of the brain) and warned us that he may stop breathing at any time....I was horrified...I thought I was going to lose the love of my life....After that, he saw about ten different doctors and no one could tell what was wrong. Their answer was to medicate him because by this time he was an absolute terror...screaming...swearing...punching...he had to be restrained....they basically drugged him to stop the combativeness. After about 2 weeks in that hospital with no improvement he was then transferred to a mental hospital in Ft. Lauderdale where he was being evaluated for schizophrenia....I guess he was the right age for the first onset (early 20's)....he stayed in that hospital for another week and then they didn't know what to do because he did not have any classic symptoms....so they shipped him back to Michigan....at the same time we were supposed to be back in college (it was our Spring Break trip) and my parents were supposed to be back at work...instead we were in Florida for 3 extra weeks....his parents flew down...my parents felt responsible...all of our lives were on hold. When we got back to Michigan we took him straight to the University of Michigan Medical Center....and they sent him straight to their psychiatric ward....we met those most wonderful doctor ever...as soon as she evaluated him she knew the problem...overmedication....what had started out as a little bit of seasickness had turned my husband into a complete monster....he was allergic to Dramamine, compazine, and all of the other drugs they were giving him to calm him down...so this was only making things worse....she ordered him off all medications within 4 days they were able to take the restraints off and within 7 days he was ready to come home. He has never had a problem since...he is very careful of any medication he takes...and he can not remember anything about that time....this is for the best...at least only one of us has to live with the nightmares....After all was said and done we requested his medical records and shared our horrible story with Carnival....they sent us $15 in drink coupons for our trouble....how sweet...I hope to never see that doctor on another ship again! Sorry about the length but I am very passionate about this as you can probably tell...I am glad we have since gathered the courage to go on more cruises....I can't say that I could ever go back to the Paradise though, too many bad memories!

kkelle17 gets my vote for THE worst experience.........my sympathies to you and yours. sharing that just may save someone else from the same type of experience. I myself will have to be deathly Ill to go to the ships doctor, a last resort type thing. glad to hear you've started cruising again.

kkelle17 gets my vote for THE worst experience.........my sympathies to you and yours. sharing that just may save someone else from the same type of experience. I myself will have to be deathly Ill to go to the ships doctor, a last resort type thing. glad to hear you've started cruising again.

Oh my gosh! I didn't even know you can be allergic to all of those motion sickness meds. thank God your husband is ok. Thanks for sharing!

Did you have trip insurance? That is a horrible story but certainly one to learn from. In fact you can be alergic to absolutely anything! I was recently told by someone at either Clear Channel or Carnival that Carnival has adopted a policy due to the Nowolk (sp?) virus that any signs of that and you are not permitted to stay on the ship, you have to leave due to how fast it spreads. If you are airlifted off the ship you are looking at a minimum of 25K. Personally I won't cruise without insurance, well worth the peace of mind.

We learned a very hard lesson. We did not have trip insurance. It was our first cruise, we had no idea. He had about $5000 in medical to pay back after all was said and done. I wish Carnival would have came through and helped out, but I did realize that we were partially to blame for not buying the insurance...luckily today we are happy and he has fully recovered! Thanks for your replies :)

Last minute booking on the Fantasy and off for an impulsive honeymoon. We had planned on Mardi Gras but went to sea instead. Now, neither of us are spring chickens but are both remarkably enthusiastic and out to have fun. We are at the straw market in the Bahamas-had walked all over the gorgeous town and even found a Harley store. Added Harley shirt with palm trees to my collection. Found a geat restaurant on a side street and had many many drinks. DH goosed the waitress-left big tip and departed. Walking back through the market and new DH turns pale and sits on the curb. Nice new wife emergency room nurse realizes he looks mighty peaked and checks his pulse. Pulse is 200. Just how do you call 911 in countries not your own? Nice nurse wife panics and has husband bearing down like he is trying to have a bowel movement because sometimes that will stop a runaway heart rhythm. No such luck. Heart still racing. Leave new DH looking for all the world like a constipated Buddah bearing down in the company of two women who want to braid his hair and go looking for cab. Meet tall very good looking Bahamian(I know-I am 57 and on my honeymoon but am not dead yet my eyes work and always appreciate the attributes of a tall good looking man especially if my alcohol level is elevated.)Tall good looking Bahamian apparently steals van and takes us back to the ship where we are taken to the infirmary. Husband's heartrate is now 80 and he appears the picture of slightly inebriated good health. Ship's doctor does a very thorough exam and proclaims he can happily resume the honeymoon. Diagnosis of nice ship doctor is DH had "Too much sun, too much fun, and too much rum". I have a feeling he is well acquainted with this diagnosis. Other sucessful cruises without life threatening events and equally as fun since. But, I do recomend travel insurance. Would not travel without it.

My wife and I leave for Florida from CT on Saturday for a Sunday to Sunday cruise. The Saturday we leave is the day before Easter. Just before we leave for the airport, our 7 year old tells us he has a stomach ache. My 3 kids are staying with grandma while my wife and I go on our second honeymoon. We keep checking on him, and grandma does not want us to worry, but my son's stomach aches are getting a bit worse. A virus we are told. As we board the ship on Sunday, we find out he has a teperature, still a belly ache, and is at the doctors now. Not enough to make us cancel our ship, or so we thought. No flights home due to all the cruise ships in port, and it being Easter. Insurance will not cover us canceling our trip to do a tummy ache. Grandma convinces my wife to stay on the ship, everything will be fine. Just as we are sailing away, everybody cheering, having a great time, we get a call on the cell, my son has probably got apendacitis, with a sea day ahead of us. No way to get home. We have to sit by a the ship phone while my son is in surgery, in case anything goes wrong, and we have to make a decision. My wife was so upset for 2 days. We get free use of the internet, and some free phone calls, thanks to the cruiseline, and my son was fine. By the time we get to an Island to maybe get home, my son is about ready to head home. Nothing else we can do now, he is fine, headed home and being spoiled by granma, friends and family. He tells his mom and dad to stay on the trip, everything will be fine. So we do, and we are now bringing all 5 of us on the miracle in April 2005. Kazman

We went on a cruise Jan. 11 2002. I booked this cruise after Sept. 11 to give my family some reconnection time. DH is an NYPD officer and he spent alot of time working OT so this seemed perfect for family time as well as some needed couple time. We were on the NCL SUN and were told they had babysitting services for infants. So we sign DS 4 up for camp and inquire about babysitting for DD 10 months. We are told by the concierge there is no longer babysitting for under 2 year olds as something occured on the NOrway a week previous. Needless to say we were severely disappointed. But we ended up making the best of it. Took the kids to the pool one day and my son fell in the pool and hit his face on this conrete thing which was a sprinkler, ended up with a bloody, fat lip. The same day my DH was carrying my DD down the stairs by the pool and her fell down several steps with her in his arms. ( he wasn't even drinking at this point of the day.)He ended up bruised all over and she hit her head on the steps. Took both to the infirmary to have a look over , both were just banged up, but being the Peds ICU nurse I am kept watching DD for 2 days for changes in consciousness. I booked DH, at the beginning of the cruise, for a well deserved massage. Well with all his bruises he said it was sooo painful. I felt terrible. We have since been on 2 more cruises, we love it, and now our DD is 3 and LOVES to go to camp.

• 5 months later...
Having to get off the ship!

Actually, my first cruise was such a learning experience, looking back now I am surprised we actually cruised again!

Because we live about 6 hours away from the port (or at least that is what I thought) we decided to drive down the day the ship would leave. I forgot to factor in the hour we lose since we live in CST and Port Canaveral is EST, plus didn't realize that Port Canaveral was a hour away from Orlando which is 6 hours away. I dropped my DH and DD off at the port and had to drop off the rental at Avis. Got lost on the way to Avis and when I arrived, realized I had left my purse at the port with DH. They were nice enough to drive me over to pick it up and then had to return to Avis to pay and go back to the port. Because I had factored the time totally wrong- we were basically the last ones on the ship and just made it to the Muster Drill. My DH wasn't exactly happy with me for all the mix ups! On the last night before we docked- they told us to pack our bags and leave them outside of the door by 12 am. I started packing and cramming all the extra stuff I had purchased in our suitcases. The zipper ended up tearing up and my DH had to go to the pursor desk and get sewing supplies ( a good reason to bring duct tape). He finished this task and put the bags out. The next am we woke up and guess who had nothing to wear but a nightgown and gold shoes (from formal night) that I had forgotten to pack the night before. Needless to say- I am sure I was the talk of the ship!

LMAO!!!!!

Getting served lobster that had already been eaten off of, and then two days later getting someone elses prime rib" cause it was done the way you wanted yours"Said our server Nuymen( neuman).of the Carnival Spirit march 14 2004 to the southern Caribbean:eek:

After reading some real horror stories, mine's just laughable.
First cruise aboard CCL, I forgot my cabin #- this was the first day- and no, I hadn't had a drink. Seperated from my DW and son, trying to find my cabin just before muster drill, no one at the purser's desk, wandering around deck by deck, finally my Dw finds me, and gave me an earful! Since then, I write down the cabin # before the cruise and stick it in my wallet.

First time I added an upcoming cruise to my signature. I have AOL, but never used IM. All of a sudden some one starts to IM me about an upcoming cruise we were both going to be on. After several 'conversations' and her asking quite frequently "are you still there?" She asked if I was 'slow'. I pointed out that I still am a 2 finger typist, I never heard from her again.

Archived